Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Demons, empathetically, vicariously, anyway.

Poster: A snowHead
A fun read as always. You seem to have managed to put an extra . into the link (right at the end) that is breaking it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@olderscot, thanks - have fixed it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
new blog : Mogul skiing in Meribel - "don't listen to your inner chimp"

https://www.stylealtitude.com/chris-tomlinsons-mirabel-ski-lessons.html

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiingwithdemons, are you still out there?

After enjoying SWDI, I've finally got around to ordering SWDII from your website for my christmas present in good time for our Xmas ski trip. Any chance of you signing it?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ster, Sure , no problem, I noticed the order in my inbox this morning.

You'll be pleased to know, there will be a SWD3 out this Xmas too !
I finally got round to finishing it off and it's now sat on my editor's desktop.

SWD2 was a bit weird, I'll admin, but SWD3 is more like SWD1.

Anyway you be the judge - your copy of SWD2 will be in the post tonight.

Thanks for the sponsorship.

Cheers Chris
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SWD3??!! You tease...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Chris, it arrived today.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look forward to episode 3.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be ordering at least 2 copies.And of swd3.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swd3 yes please!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@endoman, @ansta1, @boredsurfin, encouraging.

SWD3 should be in the "shops" by end November.

It's basically about my recovery from injury and the end of an era, the Ski Club having stopped its resort leading service.
A few new ski demons surface in Laax, Meribel, Les Arcs, Arabba, Saas Fee, Val D'isere, Tignes and or course Morzine.
- I'll post a few sample chapters here before long.

At a bit of a lost for things to do now till winter arrives - maybe start another book? - "aaaggggghh"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skiingwithdemons, Austria is noticably absent from your demon surfaces - get yourself to Hintertux during October and see what pops up in the way of inspiration? You know you want to try the sausages...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiingwithdemons, add me to the list of those waiting anxiously for SWD3!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

At a bit of a lost for things to do now till winter arrives

Check land-rover for rot, fix rot, repeat.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just ordered book 1. If it's something I like I can get 2 more for Christmas! Excellent!
latest report
@Legend., Cheers - SWD1 will be in the post tomorrow - your journey begins Happy
@Arctic Roll, Will do - hope it's worth the wait.
@Richard_Sideways,
Landie's renovation is described in SWD3 - but as you say, its prob time to do it again Sad
snow report
The long-awaited and last installment of the 'Skiing With Demons trilogy' (as I'm calling it now) is almost here !!

Drum roll, please ... Life Limbs & Land Rovers (as I've called it) has gone to the printers.

Read sample chapter and pre-order for Xmas here :
https://skiingwithdemons.com/swd-iii-life-limbs-land-rovers/

ski holidays
Just ordered my copy Chris. Your books make for excellent reading.
snow conditions
@JoyZipper, cheers, got the order.
ski holidays
Ordered, now can I put it away until I actually go skiing and have time to read?
latest report
Ordered here too... What are the chances of it appearing in time for Flaine opening weekend in mid December?
snow report
Like J K Rowling's final Harry Potter and the last episode of Game of Thrones, fans have been holding their breath for the third book in the trilogy, Skiing with Demons.

And a review on the latest here

https://stylealtitude.com/skiing-with-demons-book-three.html
snow conditions
@UkuleleDave, very good - postal strike aside. Its Saas Fee again for me early Jan.
@endoman, get the wife to hide your reading glasses.
latest report
Good stuff @skiingwithdemons, ordered just now Happy
ski holidays
@Timberwolf, got it. Although I have no idea who you are - obviously.
ski holidays
Are you signing copies this time or have you gone all corporate?
latest report
And do you have a date for Amazon to make it available on Kindle? Paper is so last century dahlink...
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, Of course. If you order from http://skiingwithdemons.com, I'll get my people to sign it Happy
If it's a present, let me know who it's for during the order process.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Put on my Xmas list - I feel sure an order will follow soon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, Hoping to get it on Amazon and Kindle next week.

My 'Back Catalogue' ( as I'm now calling it) is now on the iBookStore too - does anyone use iBooks ?

Book shop in Morzine and Whistler (my Canadian distributor - as I call them) will have copies around 2nd week in December.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, FYI : SWD3 now on Kindle. Still fighting with the Amazon upload.
What's a good price for a Kindle book? (free , I know).
snow report
@skiingwithdemons, about 65% of the print price works for me, as you save on printing, storage and shipping costs. Nothing winds me up more than finding a 25 year old book priced at £30 for the download when I can buy it second hand in perfect condition for £2. Since you are selling a new book and asking £13 for the paperback, something like £8 for the download seems fair for the first season, and then discount to keep the sales coming in after the novelty has worn off and you've saturated your core market? I see the previous 2 are just under £4 each now, which is roughly what I paid for them 4 and 3 years ago.

Mind you, I'll not complain if you put it up at £4 to match the others... wink
ski holidays
Part 3 now ordered. looking forward to another instalment Very Happy
ski holidays
@wills_h, ta.

SWD3 now available on Amazon world wide Happy

Real copies land in Morzine and Whistler (!?!) next week.

Signed copies from my website only - with gratitude.
latest report
@skiingwithdemons, spotted and downloaded yesterday, thanks.
latest report
Just downloaded it on Amazon, it's my next read Very Happy
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, @KenX, thanks guys - It's already No3 in Amazon's Skiing Best Seller rank
- I must stop buying copies of my own book Happy
ski holidays
So, how much mileage can a middle-aged man get out of skiing and driving an old and sometimes unreliable car? Can you even call a Defender a car without causing offence to either Defender owners or cars?

The answer to the first question of course is lots - the first book was pretty unique and that was part of its attraction. Most of us would dream of living full-time in a ski resort, but maybe without the stream of interesting and demanding people, and some of us dream of passing a few courses and being recognised as an instructor or as a leader or guide while simultaneously pointing out that we are too old, too poor, too fat, too unfit or maybe just too lazy to do it. Running a chalet and going on courses provides an almost endless stream of characters to harvest for material, and II gave us some of the stories of more recent times, plus some of those deemed too risky for the first book.

Volume three is of course more of the same - more skiing, more on- and off-piste exams with demons lurking behind every mogul or boulder, more breakdowns (fortunately only ever to the car), and more chairlift philosophy (some of which is pretty familiar territory). What III uniquely brings is the gory detail of the injury which Chris suffered in January 2018, and the road to recovery and escape from "Labrador Island" (one man, marooned at home with a dog and a mobility problem). I have no doubt this was a long and tedious period, but the book has it almost seem to fly by with no issues to speak of, where I'd have been up for a few more stories of torn stitches, excessive swearing on kicking the step into the bathroom, and the puzzled looks of canine companions who can't understand why your hands have grown a pair of sticks and why you're not throwing them so he/she fetch them.

The expansion into walking and camping out with your troublesome companion (the wheeled one) is a good diversion, and could have been longer for me.

So, another enjoyable read, and recommended for those who've bought the previous two.

@skiingwithdemons, the perils of self-publishing are probably well known to you by now, but one of them is that there isn't a team of professional proof readers standing by to spot all the times when your brain was in neutral, even though the fingers were in high ratio and heading for overdrive. There are a number of typos and oddities in III which I guess it is too late to correct in the first print run, but which you can probably fix in the Kindle edition and for any subsequent print runs you (hopefully) will need. Some of these are pretty innocuous, but the double appearance of your vampire in Ch29 needs to be sorted out - looks like you have two versions, and forgot to remove one, so about 4 paragraphs are semi-repeated. I was also unintentionally tickled by your description of "skiing the slop in the Dome" - indoor snow isn't ever good quality, but even the poorest doesn't deserve that description!
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, Thanks for the recommendation and your accurate analysis of SWD3.
Can't argue with any of your comments - it certainly has its flaws. I was in a bit of a hurry to get it printed before Xmas.

I should have waited until I had a printed version in my hands and proofed that, instead of signing off a pdf version.
- well , actually, I probably couldn't have faced reading it again. You become blind to your own words after a few passes.

Luckily, the first print run was small, so I can fix the vampire section - which was total ruined by missing and misplaced para.

Are there any other typos you can remember? - It would be helpful if you could email me them ( page/para/line - email: chris@myskifriends.org)

I'm going to leave the "slop/slope' mistake - it made me LOL too. Happy

Cheers Chris

PS - next book will be exclusively about fell-walking
ski holidays
@skiingwithdemons, I'll try - off the top of my head the ones I can remember are "MSRA" rather than "MRSA", and several cases of using "breaks" for the devices to slow you down, which are of course "brakes". I'm not really a proof reader and I've finished reading the book now, but if I can dig out a few more I'll try to send them on by email. Page/para/line will be an interesting challenge on a Kindle where the font size can be adjusted... if I find any more, I'll try to give you a chapter number and quote the content so you can do a search fairly easily to find them.

I fully understand the problem of reviewing your own content - I write occasional technical documents which can run to 75-100 pages, and I have to get someone else to read them through for sanity as my brain reads what I wanted to write rather than what I managed to type.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy