Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which mobile phone provider for Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am considering spending a season in Switzerland and am wondering what to do about mobile phones. Would it be cheaper to get a Swiss sim card for my phone or to get on a deal with a UK provider that doesn't have roaming charges (i.e. Three)? All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not 100% sure as mine is organised through work, but I have seen the bills (hefty) and I would think UK without roaming is probably a good start if you already have it.

Orange is called Salt in CH.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nickle, if you really can find a UK provider with no roaming charges, that mighht be the solution. However, my understanding of these offers is that they're not quite as good as they initially sound. E.g. a large connection charge meaning that they don't work for short calls or picking up the occasional email.

What do you actually want to use it for? If purely local then a Swiss SIM might work. The main networks are Swisscom, Salt and Sunrise.

See here for info https://www.justlanded.com/english/Switzerland/Switzerland-Guide/Telephone-Internet/Mobile-phones

The point about the network coverage is valid. I would get a cheaper deal with Salt or Sunrise but spend quite a lot of time in areas where their network coverage isn't so very good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salt are the cheapest. With 10 SF you get a sim only which includes 20 SF credit. Swisscom are good too.

I had a look and actually called them with regards to coverage in Saas Fee and Zermat and both are rather good.

https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/mobile/subscription-tariffs/natel-easy-smart.html

https://shop.salt.ch/en/plans/prepay/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://en.comparis.ch/telecom/mobile/news/2014/12/netzabdeckung-schweiz.aspx
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Three Feel at Home is great and there is no connection charge etc... http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

IIRC between £15-£20 on pay as you go and you get 200mins unlim texts and unlim net in the UK.

However if you use the feel at home for more than 2 months out of 12 you can have your international roaming suspended - you could get around this by doing it with pay as you go and simply get a new sim and number after two months. The call and text allowances are for UK to UK numbers so you would need extra credit for local calling.

If its for just local just get a swiss sim if you need both maybe get a dual sim phone and get 1 of both. (or keep swapping sims) all depends on usage really.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have a Swisscom PAYG sim which we use for occasional data when we're not at home. It's not cheap, (CHF 4 per day for all you can use) but it's handy sometimes.

If you're with O2 in the UK I think their roaming charges are £1.99 per day for unlimited data. This means you can use the O2 'TU Go' app as much as you like for calls and texts. This works out cheaper than a Swisscom sim.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, the O2 deal works fine and keeps costs down to £1.99/day when I'm in Switzerland.

The two aren't mutually exclusive - you could go with the O2 deal on your existing mobile and turn roaming off, but have it in reserve, and get a cheap local pay-as-you-go mobile, and see how it pans out.

It will help a lot if you can get free WiFi where you live, so you can still WhatsApp/Messenger/Skype/FaceTime over broadband in your apartment. If possible, find somewhere with wired broadband - although don't expect meaga-fast speeds up in the mountains. Our apartment has 2 Mbps only, but it is wired, and this is OK for most things like email and mobile apps. Bear in mind that things like BBC iPlayer, ITVplayer and Netflix will have restrictions on use abroad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Data isn't unlimited on the O2 £1.99 a day though, just bear in mind. Or it certainly didn't use to be!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite so re Data Limits: Although it's a lot better than the previous charges (I used up £80 in one day doing virtually nothing) there is still a limit. You don't want to be running a ton of background apps., maps etc. etc. as you might do in the UK. Turn your apps off while you're away from WiFi and only start-up ones that you really need. The problem I foind was that I'd enable loads of apps while I was in the apartment on WiFi and forget to disable them when I went outside.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy