Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving to france!

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so iv been on a couple of boarding holidays to borovets but im looking for some "real" slopes now, me and 2 friends want to drive from england to france for a boarding hol in february, 2 of us are ok boarders and 1 is a total beginner; firstly id like suggestions on where the 3 of us should head, and secondly how long to allow for the drive....... many thanks in advance for your suggestions!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are loads of threads here about driving to France. It's very easy. If three of you are driving you should be able to reach a lot of French resorts in 10 hours from Calais, including sensible stops (maybe a little longer if the road is wet, and the speed limit therefore just under 70 mph instead of 80). You haven't told us where you'd be starting from, so not possible to suggest how long to allow for the drive!!

However, that's when there's no traffic. You need to avoid the busy weeks (Christmas, New year and the month from 7 February) if you can. So if you are determined to go in Feb it would be better if it were the first week - cheaper and less crowded.

What's your budget? Where would you be starting from?

What (apart from snowboarding) is important to you about the resort? Do you want meals provided or cook for yourselves?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I allow 3 hours to get to the channel, 1 hour for the inevitable hold up on the way, upto 2 hours to get on the tunnel (but it can be much longer), 1 and bit hours to actually get across. Then the easy bit is the 9 to 11 hours the other side. But it really depends on where you are going to in France and even more so where you are starting from.

As to where to go to - well there are hundreds of resorts in france to choose from. You really need to get a book and start doing some research.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

1 hour for the inevitable hold up on the way, upto 2 hours to get on the tunnel (but it can be much longer), 1 and bit hours to actually get across.

Golly. On Monday I pitched up at about 1800 (French time) got an 1850 train, giving me just time to get a coffee and was driving off the train shortly after 1930 (French time). It's sometimes taken more time, sometimes a bit less. Crossing time is scheduled as 35 minutes and that's generally about right.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you've got a car full of people and kit (or more importantly, kids) I don't see the attraction in driving. Flying isn't exactly the most comfortable option but it seems to me to be so much easier...although I guess that having a 5 hour journey to Folkestone or Dover doesn't help that equation.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I normally use the tunnel and allow 13hrs from Chamonix to Birmingham, with maybe 3 x 10 minute stops on the French side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, My time for the actual crossing is from you actually get told to board to when you leave on the French side and includes security, battening down and queuing.
@eddiethebus, You must be lucky with the M25. The best I have ever done it from Les Arcs to Birmingham is 14 hours and that included a single 5 minute stop in France
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, so where does the "up to 2 hours to get on" come from? Is that from arriving at the tunnel to getting told to board? Sometimes immigration can take ages, I gather. I've been lucky; the only time I've had a bad hold up was the day after the London bombing, so hardly surprising. But then, I don't travel at busy times. I agree that 13 hours Chamonix to Birmingham is optimistic but I normally drive alone, normally do the journey in one hit, try to stick to speed limits (under 70 if it's wet) and ALWAYS take regular stops. I actually almost enjoy it - especially driving out, towards the mountains. Having good audio books and a choice of music, plus some nice stuff to eat, all helps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Unless you've got a car full of people and kit (or more importantly, kids) I don't see the attraction in driving.

Being able to do 8 days skiing was the biggest when I started doing it.
There are others of course.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And there are times when driving (which costs pretty much the same, whenever you do it) is a lot cheaper than flying. Half term, new year etc (though equally those are times when you will encounter heavy traffic and some inevitable delays). Transfers from airports to resorts (or car hire) also need to be taken into account.

And in some resorts it's very convenient to have a car. Though equally, it can be very inconvenient to find somewhere to park one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also enjoy the drive. As long as the kids aren't crazy I find it very relaxing. More or less empty motorways help of course. Also must have been lucky on the tunnel as never had any problems.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

"up to 2 hours to get on" come from?

Ah! that is the time for cancelled and delayed trains. With me the average delay on scheduled departure is an hour, but sometimes much more and very occaionally there is none. Being one of the world's pessimists I schedule in twice the average delay. So if I HAVE to be in Les Arcs at 9:00 on Saturday morning I leave Birmingham at about 15:00. This summer with operation stack in place it took even longer than that.

And yes, once I get to France I actually enjoy the drive. A good audio book or pod casts really helps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From following the Eurotunnel le Shutle twitter feed lately only a 2 hour delay in the morning is pretty good. Sad
https://twitter.com/LeShuttle
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No delays at all on our recent return trip.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I gather i was a bit vague in what we are looking for so we would like somewhere not too over crowded for my beginner pal but also with a good nightlife scene although we are primarily there for the boarding, and also thought the drive would be a good experience. budget wise we havnt really set a budget but we dont want to be getting ripped off everywhere we go and dont want to be paying too much for lift passes, we basically just want a few resort suggestions so that we can research them and get a hotel and ferry booked!
Re, the time i was asking for time from calais to the resort so im gathering allow around 10 hours, again thanks for all your help so far!
snow report
@Hells Bells, That is good to hear Very Happy
snow report
@boredsurfin, I was pretty relieved too, although I do realise we were quite lucky.
ski holidays
I had absolutely no problems either but that's travelling in October and November for you! A Friday or Saturday at new Year could be a different story.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy