Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
no lake freezing this year though. I remember 1985 (?) with a frozen lake seeing ice yachts speeding across...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@buchanan101, the lake half froze over during the last week in January when there was that 10 day cold snap - but has since been thawed. One day I will ice skate on it....one day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone able to provide update on current snow conditions? I can see the webcams showing snow and you can read into snow depths what you may (given they usually come from the tourist office) but I am going out in 10 days with my daughter Mia whose first time with real snow it is and I would love it to be perfect for her!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The impression I get is that it is pretty good, and the best of the season so far. I'm not there, but I am following reports and comments, mainly for nearby resorts of Saalbach and Kitzbuhel. they all have excellent snow making too.

Zell is lovely - if the sun shines it is beautiful - just a shame the lake isn't freezing this year.

Off to Kitz in 10 days...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonmj66, as @buchanan101, says from everything I've seen online and read from locals it looks to be great at the moment - plenty of regular snowfall during the busiest weeks of the year seem to have the slopes in great condition.

Also the forecast for the next 5-10 days seems to pretty decent with some fresh snow - no guarantee but it looks as if it will be the ideal winter wonderland to get your daughter hooked. My girlfriend was hooked after visiting Zell last season as it really is an enchanting place when its snowy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A warm spike this weekend, and then a touch above average when you (and I) arrive. Looks a little unsettled; today looks horrid on webcams...mountain top fog Sad Hopefully the sun shines for you and me!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101, you really are a glass half empty kind of person aren't you. You always somehow manage to put a damper on after anything positive you accidently post!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just saying it as it is. Would hate (well not quite) to be skiing in mountain top fog...

Had that 2 years ago in Kitz. Mountain top fog, slush at the bottom with about 100m vertical decent skiing in between.

The two times I've been to Zell, the sun has shone, and it is lovely!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Currently sat in our hotel room in Kaprun. Yesterday and today the glacier has had pretty full on snow... certainly not foggy up there. I would guess that there has been a good 30-40 cm land over the past few days. As you can see below there was enough deep soft snow to exhaust an energetic 11yr old!

Snow above about 1000m is OK to good, below that it can be a little icy or slushy depending on the time of day. It is really only the bottom half of the Maiskogel and I expect the end of the runs into resort in Zell (not got to Zell yet this week so only guessing and overhearing conversations in the bar).

Hope to get some better pictures tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A little warm today, still pretty good conditions on the upper slopes, firm on the pisted bits and soft and fluffy elsewhere. Again below 1,000m was pretty much a slush fest. Photos below from toady on the Maiskogel.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First day in the area yesterday, we went to Kitzsteinhorn in the morning and Maiskogel in the afternoon. Kitzsteinhorn was quite nice, a little busy and a little windy but generally pretty good. Maiskogel was excellent with hardly anyone around and good snow from the second lift up, lapped the black off the top several times and loved it.

A bit warmer today and I went to Zell about 1pm and it was woeful. Few lift queues but very crowded slopes and seemed slushy most of the way to the top! I made the mistake of coming down red 20... would really rather they just close this. It's south facing and low so I'm not sure what I expected but maybe not this? I took my skis off for a little section to avoid damaging skis on all the stones.

The forecast is for things to get a bit colder and hopefully a bit snowier. Despite staying in Schuttdorf based on first impressions I don't see us skiing much at Zell itself, will have to see what the weather brings though! We have Salzburg Super Ski season passes so a degree of flexibility is available! Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Local forecast is snow/sleet in town tomorrow pm. As previously mentioned the snow at mid station and above is fine. The runs to the centre of town are holding up well but red 4 to arietbahn was akin to swimming in porridge.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@driz, obviously missed out on red 20. Black 14 was v quiet and in good order though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived on Saturday, theres been plenty of fresh snow and it's been snowing gently almost constantly, even to resort level (although not settling there). Pistes are much better than same time last year. Another couple told us they have been coming to Zell this week for the last 5 years and this is the best they've seen the pistes.
Bottom of red 4 did still look pretty horrible (from the lift - not planning in skiing it!), in fact it sounded pretty horrible too as people splashed through the brown slush yesterday afternoon. Haven't yet seen the lower runs on the other parts of the mountain so can't compare them. Lowest I've skiied today was to mountain station of city express and good conditions down to there.
Weather has been mostly a bit cloudy / snowy, although some sun before lunch today. But looking absolutely lovely despite that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely conditions on the Schittenhöhe today. Some early mist disappeared to leave us with bluebird conditions and mostly good snow - it finally stopped snowing overnight. I explored the reds on the Sonnkogel side today and found the conditions good. Runs into town however were reportedly not good (it is March after all), although I didn't ski any of them. My wife passed the top of Trass (black 14) on her lesson and tells me there were signs warning of poor conditions lower down.
Also spied the building site for the mountain station for the new gondola to Viehhofen. This is going to be adjacent to the top of the Sonnengrat chair.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy