Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Calling all those lucky enough to be in Zell am See at the moment...

How's the snow?
Did you guys get some?
Is there good skiing at the moment?
Or should I still be "snow dancing"??? (Might still do that anyway)
rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...Just been informed by the other half that the question: Did you get some? "Is open to interpretation"! Shocked
May I just confirm I meant SNOW! Embarassed
His latest comment is: "put the shovel down"!
wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@frankEvb, I left on the 2nd and it was fine then - the conditions from 1000m and below were great all day but artificial (very cold valley temps) - above 1000m they were good until 11am then slushy and mogully after.

Maiskogel at Kaprun was great top to bottom as its the shady part of the valley at this time of the year and a lot quieter than Zell and Kitz - Kitzsteinhorn also great conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @AthersT Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's been snow the last 3 days in Zell, not massive accumulations. Snow cannons running hard on certain slopes.

Good ski conditions in the morning, some of the well hammered runs like blue 2 get very icy and bumpy in the afternoon. The blacks get icy and bumpy too in the afternoons but much like any other resort.

On piste is fine and very skiiable, all runs not open and they don't seem to focused on getting these open with the cannons, they are being used more on the runs that are open.

I don't do much off piste but it seems like they need another 50cms to bring that into play.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @DaveMc are many runs open on the Sonenalm?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@frankEvb, There were 3/4 open when I was there just in very ropey condition once the afternoon arrived. I imagine they will be fine by now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DaveMc thanks. I figured it would be a slush-fest if open at all... *comences snow dance*
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AthersT, @DaveMc, @espri Have you seen this: https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/Zell_am_See_snow.html
also Bergflex and several others reporting much better snow for Zell over the next two weeks Very Happy Seems all my snow dancing has payed off!! No need to thank me wink Laughing gonna stop now to save my legs for all that loverly snow. Not long now Very Happy Are the local weather reports saying the same thing?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@frankEvb, Unfortunately I don't live in Zell - the Austrian reports do have a similar outlook - http://www.bergfex.com/schmittenhoehe-zellamsee/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@benny.c, i am in Zell from 27th Feb. PM me if you are there then and fancy a bit of intermediate skiing?! First time in Zell and going with my youngest who will be in ski school - so I will be able to get some free time! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@frankEvb, sometimes the weatherman doesn't predict very much snow then this happens! This is just now.
Looks like you might be pretty damn good at snow dancing!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@AthersT, where is that, @Zell or @ Kaprun?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ignore that, I get tunnel vision when I see snow! Shocked Laughing snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AthersT, 😍 Seems I am! maybe I should stop now!? Thank you for the picture. Have been sad all day about David Bowie and now I'm smiling again. Cheers
snow conditions
Any updating reports as to snow conditions boys and girls? Just to whet me appetite like!
snow report
@simonmj66, I'm not there but have a browse of the webcams - http://www.bergfex.com/schmittenhoehe-zellamsee/webcams/
snow report
Web cams, glued to them these days, what did we do before all this tech.....
I'm off to Zell Am See later this week, happy to let anyone know how things are as and when, cant beat an 'on the piste report' Smile
ski holidays
@Jonyb19, that's me boy (or girl) - but my analytical skills suggest the former!
ski holidays
Tons of snow on the Schmittenhöhe now, and not too busy at all - no queues anywhere. Avoid red 4 down to the Areitbahn unless you have nerves of steel. It's lumpy and icy and horrible! Admittedly I am a complete weed, but even my much braver husband didn't enjoy it, and there were a lot of people falling over, losing skis, etc. Why on earth don't they poste it during the day? Going to try Viehhofen tomorrow.... is that good for timid skiers?
snow report
Yo! Off to Zell in a few weeks. Anyone know any bars that will play rock music as opposed to the usual eurotrash pop?
ski holidays
@skimonkey@tiscali.co.uk, Greens XL - It's a basement bar - Happy (2) Hours is like 8-10 approx, music is mixed with some rock and pop/dance that is normal music nowadays.

@LizAtk, until this year the run to Viehhofen has been a semi off piste ski route that is very rarely open so you are lucky to ski it -the pics of it on facebook look amazing.
ski holidays
@AthersT Actually, my husband said we were going to Viehhoffen but we actually drove about 5 mins past that, as there didn't seem to be any means to accessing the main Saalbach area from there. Saalbach was busier than we'd expected, and quite hard packed under a thin layer of new snow.
snow report
@LizAtk, probably ended up at the Schonleitenbahn. I thought you meant skiing to Viehhofen from the top of the Zell area.

From next season (I think) the area will be joined to the Saalbach area with the aid of a ski bus from Viehhofen after skiing down to it on what is currently the X4 ski route and a lift back up to Zell.
snow conditions
Ah yes, it was the Schonleitenbahn. We were going to do the Kitzsteinhorn today, but looks very windy (30km/hr+) so thought we might try Wildkogel instead, although a friend says if weather bad on Kitz, it will be at Wildkogel, too, although strong winds not forecast there as far as I can see. Desperately need some nice snow to regain my confidence.
snow conditions
@LizAtk, Try a morning on the small hill in Kaprun - Maiskogel, that should help you to rebuild confidence. Its mostly quite mellow, but very fun and with it being on the shadowy side of the valley the conditions are usually quite nice - its also alot lower so will hopefully not be to windy.
snow report
Thank you - great idea!
ski holidays
In Zell AS now, only on the blues but good coveradge overall, had plenty of snow of late....also enjoying various bars as you do....bit heavier today as temperatures rise but isnt spoiling the fun. Anyone have any questions let me know ill try and help. We drove and even enjoyed that....dead easy with stopover near Stuttgart.. cheers J&K
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonyb19,
Jonyb, we are looking at Zell for next month......will be our first time there. Group of 8 ranging from beginner to very experienced. Zell looks great but our only concern is the size of the area.....enough for a mile muncher for a week? Also, Zell or Kaprun? which one is best for our base? We are mainly there for the riding but a bar or two would be good.
Cheers.
ski holidays
@Gyro, here is my trip report from 14/15 NY week - might give you some of the required information - ignore the travel section as we drove.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2644859&highlight=zell#2644859
ski holidays
Gyro wrote:
@Jonyb19,
Jonyb, we are looking at Zell for next month......will be our first time there. Group of 8 ranging from beginner to very experienced. Zell looks great but our only concern is the size of the area.....enough for a mile muncher for a week? Also, Zell or Kaprun? which one is best for our base? We are mainly there for the riding but a bar or two would be good.
Cheers.

Zell lovely but no good for a mile muncher. Many slopes south facing, but the majority of the runs are above mid mountain.

Best/quietest runs are in Sonnenalm area, but are quite short and can get soft pm (the clue is in the name!)

I guess if you don't mind a ski bus for Kaprun it's ok....

Having said that, I was there for a fortnight in the 80s before the days of snow machines, with skiing limited, but still loved it. Depends what you mean by mile muncher - you will be skiing the same runs many times, which I don't mind.
latest report
Thanks guys, Zell sounds great, I always like the relaxed atmosphere in Austria.
We like a resort with at least 100k of pistes but certainly don't mind riding the same run a good few times.

Just one more question, what areas does the lift pass cover and how far is it between the nearest resorts by bus? I'm finding it hard to get this info
as the guide books aren't quite as good as someone who has actually done the bus rides.
snow conditions
Just googled and the Postbus takes 20 mins. Guessing 30 mins for a ski buss from Zell to Kaprun.

Standard ski pass is Zell and KAprun and the few runs at the village in between. There is a Salzburgerland ski pass which covers a huge number of resorts (closest Saalbach - which if you'd waited a year will be linked and has 270km of runs now). Not sure if there is a pass that covers Kitzbuhel as well (nearby access through Pass Thurn).
snow report
@buchanan101, the village inbetween IS kaprun Smile. Worth a half day there during a week in my view. Kitzbuhel and Zillertal Arena are good in that they're both included in Tirol Snow Card and Salzburgerland Ski Card. Fieberbrunn is also in both but not the now connected Saalbach. Not sure how well the link to Zell am See will be i.e. lifts/runs both ways??
snow report
I meant Maiskogel mountain.

Saalbach is in the Salzburgerland card, because it is in Salzburgerland - I assume you meant it wasn't in Tirol card

I think there will be a run down from Zell to Viehhofen and lift back up. Therefore you can ski (down 68 ) /lift from Saalbach to Zell, but the other way it's ski down then a bus up the valley towards Saalbach and Schonleitenbahn gondola.

Apparently run 68 will get snowmaking too - it does run to the lowest point in Saalbach and is south facing so needs snowmaking to keep the Zell link reasonable.
snow report
Yes exactly - all resorts in their own regions except Arlberg/St Anton are on each card now, I was just referring to the few that are handily on both (I think because they link to somewhere that is in the other region). Maybe Saalbach/Zell will get onto the Tirol card in future??

Re the link it does seem to just be like the original arrangement from some years ago then? Although I never did it and it may have been a ski route not piste - seems a slightly strange choice of connection - there were presumably snow reasons for removing the original stuff?!
snow report
http://www.wintersportweerman.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/verbinding-saalbach-zellamsee1.jpg

There is a freeride route already down to Viehhofen.
snow report
Cheers for the link.

I'll have to explore next time I get the Salzburgerland Season Pass.
ski holidays
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=792&start=3344

interesting map...
ski holidays
Stunning image of Zell am See this morning - plenty of snow right down to 750m asl.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy