Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Armed soldiers glide the pistes of Sestriere" - report

Poster: A snowHead
Reuters report this morning that armed soliders are preparing security for the Turin Winter Olympics (10-26 February) in dramatic form:
Quote:
Skiers in Sestriere, site of the Alpine skiing competition, feel like extras in a James Bond movie as armed soldiers in camouflage glide past on the pistes.

Here is the Reuters article.

With the ever-present fear of terrorism, extensive policing and protection is being deployed by the Italian authorities. However, the greatest threat is likely to come from the people of the Val di Susa (near the Olympic sites) where there have been major demonstrations against a high-speed international rail link.

If you've been overtaken by an armed Italian soldier on skis, please describe the experience.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having on a couple of occasions watched how the Italian army introduce their new recruits to skiing - basically take them to the top, fit them with a heavy rucksack, and then give them a push and see what happens - I'd be surprised if they overtake anybody!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I go in 2 weeks, should be an interesting sight. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pete1909,be prepared for fun at Turin Airport,it's absolute chaos there!

Building work,broken luggage belts,loads of delays and lots of Italians running around not sure what they are suposed to be doing!

All rushing to get the airport ship-shape for the Olympics,my monies on them failing!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What's the Olympic record for a luggage belt?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LIAMJ - Turin airport is *ALWAYS* like that!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must admit,thought at the time,i wouldn't fancy going to Turin again if that was the norm!,but having an Italian wife i really should be used to Italian efficiency by now,but always can't help thinking "lovely people,but how on earth did they ever organise an empire.....!"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in Sestriere at Christmas, and shared the very limited pistes with what seemed like the whole Italian army. Although they seemed to be officially "Alpini", they were nearly all beginners, and I spoke to a pair who were from Naples. They were all very well behaved and gentlemanly. I didn't see any weapons.

The worst thing about Turin Airport was that it was very cold ! I think, because of the building works, parts of it were only separated from the outdoors by sheets of polythene.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LIAMJ, brendangibson, - never had a problem at Turin, flown in many times for sliding action but always been on DIY trips getting in there either on sunday eve or during the week.............this year i'ts Sunday morning, i'm prepared for chaos but then everywhere is during the sliding season Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's 36 of us going so I'm sure the airport will be an absolute nightmare and at least one persons luggage won't turn up (not a problem as long as it's not mine wink )
I've decided to Leave my planks at home and hire then possibly buy some new when I'm there, so at least that's one less piece to get lost. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Italian army soldiers are always skiing around the Milky Way as they train there - they certainly have been over the past few years when i've been there.

Iwonder is this activity olympics related or are Reuters just having a slow January...........
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is nothing new. I have stood next to armed soldiers in Sauze whilst watching skiercross and other events - they seem to be the "hired help" for policing events and lugging equipment about the mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And who are they intending to shoot at these popular sporting events?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

And who are they intending to shoot at these popular sporting events?

No idea - but they do a very good line in Italian swearwords when their favourites crash
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plenty of soliers around Sestriere this last week. They were practising skiing with shovels. Puzzled Puzzled Seems that they may be on hole-filling duty during the Olympics. And on Friday they were loading a lorry-load of straw onto the main Borgata chair, and offloading it at the top Madeye-Smiley - fortunately there did have the intelligence to leave the odd chair empty so we could upload!
snow conditions
They where training there while we where on holiday last year they were not i repeat NOT impressed when we assumed they where practicing running away into France. One ex RM and one ex para should not be allowed to make international relations after gallons of vodka Embarassed highly embarrased by it now but it was funny at the time
ski holidays
I imagine the Italians are pretty worried about the prospects of an attack - it's their 'turn' after London and Madrid. Italy has an elections in April and troops in Iraq until at least the end of the year, so the prospect of trying to influence the election may seem appealing to anyone in the country with the capability of targeting the Olympics.
snow conditions
There were all still there last week in Sestriere.................not sure i ever saw one of them smile NehNeh
snow conditions
Dan - Were you as frustrated as me by the lack of runs and general facilities in Sestriere last week. It was a building site and all they cared about was the Olympics.
At least all that snow at the end of the week made the last couple of days fun. Smile
snow report
Pete1909, luckily i was over in Sauze and went over to Sestriere for a day but quickly came back after only finding 2 chairs open (well as quick as you can on the gondola and a 1 man chair lift rolling eyes Laughing )............i wish they'd said this before i tried to go over telling my mates, there's bound to be more over there, everwhere is covered with snow cannons and they look after their snow much better.
snow conditions
Dan It was an absolute joke, you can understand slopes/lifts being closed because of the weather conditions, but that was just taking the P*ss Mad

Had a good couple of days in Sauze & a day in Montegenvre. And on Saturday they opened the Olympic runs in Sestriere (not the Bourgata mountain though) which was good fun and challenging with all the snow that had fell. Very Happy

Needless to say there will be a letter going off to the holiday company as they didn't advise us about any of it.

Never mind, looking forward to the next trip now (haven't told the Mrs about it yet though wink )
snow conditions
Used Turin airport last year and I have to say God help them when they have the pressure of the olympics.
ski holidays
Some friends from Lausanne have gone down to work there for the Olympics they have been told to expect days off once it is all over. Smile
snow conditions
Hmmm......Italian soldiers skiing? Were'nt going backwards were they??
ski holidays
Not sure about soldiers, but Gendarmes rugby tackling skiers for using the road, shouting "zis is not zee piste" put the fear of god into me. Granted one shouldn't be lazy, but when your boots are killing you it's hard to obey rules like that.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, they are still rebuilding most of it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy