Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another "how long?" thread...

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.
I'm looking to buy a high quality piste-ski. So far I have always rented, in the 153-157 length range. I am 165 cm tall and about 68 kg, looking to sit the BASI 1 in the very near future. I have been advised to think about a "160-ish" ski.
So far, so good, BUT....

The ski that I really like comes as 148 (too short), 155 or 163. My local snow-dome's gear shop only has the 155 in their test fleet. I've skied it and it was really good, although I also know that I'm not et at its full potential. I know the advice here tends to be to go for the longer version, but I'm thinking the 163 (at very nearly the same length as me!) may well be too long. Opinions either way gladly received - I'm keen to avoid an expensive mistake.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the ski and are you male or female?

The relevance being: if the ski's stiff, it's easier to go shorter

If it's a female-specific ski, they are often softer than their male counterparts so the 163 may be better

The other considerations:

Do you prefer short or long (carved) turns (if you can carve)? Short = 155, long = 163
Are you doing BASI in a snowdome? It will be easier to demo short turns, snowplough etc on a 155 in a dome and you'll never reach enough speed to need the extra stability of a 163
Do you ski at high speed (50mph+) recreationally?
Is there any rocker/early-rise tip in the design? If so, the 163 will ski shorter...

On balance, if you're comfortable and used to a 155ish length and you don't ski above 40mph and there's no rocker you might as well stick with it. If not all those things, consider the 163.

Must admit that 160ish does sound right though - maybe you should look for a different ski in a more suitable length?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm female, very much the same height and weight as you and I did my BASI 1 in the snowdome on 162 Kneissl Redstars. I personally would find 155 too short I think.

The 'classic' BASI 1 & 2 ski is the Head Titan or Magnum. They're fairly widely available so you'll probably be able to demo them. You could try those in the 163 and see what you think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both.
A bit more information, as requested. (Not sure why I didn't include it originally!!)

I'm female, my long turns need some work, but my shorts are much better. I'm not particularly quick (usually in the 50 Kph region), but know that I should be going faster - one of my development aims this winter.
I normally do 2 weeks in the mountains / year but this winter will be getting 5-6, which was one of the motivations to get my own gear. Other than that, I proabably average 6 hours / month in a fridge, which will increase if I'm teaching.

The ski that I had in mind in my original post was the Atomic Cloud 11.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skiinghamster, I haven't skied the Atomic Cloud but I hear good things. It's designed as a female-specific ski so probably is relatively light. If you are quite strong, I would expect the longer length to be a better choice for you.

If I'm teaching in the snowdome I use their rentals in a short length (I think it's 155), since I'm rarely doing anything approaching performance skiing and it's easier to faff about on shorter ones. For the course itself you'll appreciate a better ski. But I'd buy the ski you'll want for the mountains, not just for the 5 days of the course.

If it's Hemel you ski at, send me a PM - you can have a try of my skis sometime, perhaps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skiinghamster wrote:
I normally do 2 weeks in the mountains / year but this winter will be getting 5-6, which was one of the motivations to get my own gear. Other than that, I proabably average 6 hours / month in a fridge, which will increase if I'm teaching.

The ski that I had in mind in my original post was the Atomic Cloud 11.

The ski gets good reviews but it's not a noodly girly ski - it's a similar construction and weight to a man's performance piste ski in whichever length. However it has got 5% tip rocker so that means a 162cm should feel the same on snow as a full camber 154cm ski, so don't be scared of the longer length.

It's also gets good scores for both high and low speeds so I agree with maireedoconnor - if you're doing 5-6 weeks in the mountains, you should go for the 162cm (it's a 162, not a 163 if that makes you feel better wink ) It's a better length for long term development and will help you feel more stable as you reach higher speeds practising your carving.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skiinghamster,

- skis don't know how tall you are what gender you subscribe to.

- I know I'm a bit ski-weird but at 62kgs and 166cm one of my favourite skis were Rossi detuned GS in a 160. That said, I very much loved my late Nordica FIS 165s and felt I rather over powered my wife's 155s.

- it must be said I'm very happy all mountain on my 203 SGs.

tricky old question really, innit?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiinghamster wrote:
Morning all.
I'm looking to buy a high quality piste-ski. So far I have always rented, in the 153-157 length range. I am 165 cm tall and about 68 kg, looking to sit the BASI 1 in the very near future. I have been advised to think about a "160-ish" ski.
So far, so good, BUT....

The ski that I really like comes as 148 (too short), 155 or 163. My local snow-dome's gear shop only has the 155 in their test fleet. I've skied it and it was really good, although I also know that I'm not et at its full potential. I know the advice here tends to be to go for the longer version, but I'm thinking the 163 (at very nearly the same length as me!) may well be too long. Opinions either way gladly received - I'm keen to avoid an expensive mistake.

Thanks.

I might be able to help getting hold of a longer demo length. We have 3 big Ellis Brigham ski tests coming up (titled Big Ski 2015) with many of the brands present too, Saturday 14th November at Tamworth, Sunday 15th Braehead, and Saturday 21st at Milton Keynes. If any of those dates/locations worked for you I can check with Atomic if they have longer length on demo and if they can bring it if they do have it.

Failing that, if Atomic have the size in demo I may be able to get them to lend it to us so you can give it a go head-to-head against the 155.

Thanks
Steve
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skiinghamster, There will also be an instructor from New Generation ski school at Tamworth (Gareth Shelbourne) and one at MK (Mike Kirk), running free coaching sessions during the days. Whilst it isn't an official session listed on the booking page (I will post the link if you want it) it was discussed that a suitable topic would be 'Are you ready to be an instructor', so I'm sure you could join a session and get some feedback as to how the skis were working for you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is what I love about Snowheads - there's so much knowledge here and loads of people willing to share it. I fully take on board @Raceplate,'s comments that this is a performance ski, that is exactly what I'm after. Something that I can make work well now, but won't have completely overpowered by this time next seasona dn can stick with if/when I take on L2.

@Maireadoconnor, thats a really generous offer, but I only manage to get to Hemel about twice a year. (Wow -where else would you find someone offerring a complete stranger a loan of their expensive kit?!)

My original plans were to get to the Tamworth test this weekend, but it now looks as though I'll be working instead. Sad

That said, I think you guys are swaying me to the longer version. Reading back through the thread, and even that fact that I felt driven to ask, points to the fact that I probably knew that was going to be the answer all along...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Maybe 50kmh recreationally is a fairer consideration?
50mph and 'recreation' don't really mix.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Maybe 50kmh recreationally is a fairer consideration?
50mph and 'recreation' don't really mix.

Have to agree, 50mph+ and a kid leaves the side of the piste without looking ... *boom* ... the kid and you are toast.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiinghamster, I wouldn't have let you out of my sight snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skiinghamster, I,m having the same dilemma - the 155 or 162 cloud 11's. I demoed the 155's at Tamworth and they we great on the confines of the snow dome but I,m wondering whether the 162's would be better on the mountain.
Did you come to any conclusions?
snow report
Would be interested too to hear what you decided! Have you tried them both now?
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 1.59m. Tried some skis I loved in 154. Went back to try again and they were out so had to use the 1.61. Was a bit worried as never used skis bigger than me but Have to say I still loved them. The rep said to go for the longer pair if I felt OK indoors on them but I'm not a very experienced skier and worried I'll regret it in tougher conditions Puzzled

Let us know what you decided and how it went!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 28-11-15 14:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A bit late to the party...

I taught on my own piste skis the first year. But on second year, I decided to buy a pair of rather old (dirt cheap!), and MUCH shorter skis than my normal skis exclusively for teaching.

I'm about to upgrade my 5 year old boots. Otherwise, I would even consider buying a pair of cheap boots at sale just for teaching.

What am I trying to say? Get the skis suited for your own use on the mountain.

Teaching at beginner level is quite different than actual skiing. Might as well get a separate (used) kit for that rather than trashing the brand new shinning new skis. Many have their own kits by the time they start teaching, so it's easy enough to use the oldest skis/boots for teaching. But it's easy enough to buy used kits for teaching too
ski holidays
@Ethel, @Penelope, I went for the 162 in the end,but don't have them yet as they're going to be a Chirstmas present. (Feeling like a 5 year old waiting for Santa again!)
snow conditions
@skiinghamster, @Penelope, I've gone for the 155s after far too much deliberation. I'm skiing at Xmas so not until they get a proper rad test. You'll have to let me know how you get on with the 162s @skiinghamster,
snow report
Update:
After lots of mind changing, "Father Christmas" brought me the 162 version.
I'd hoped to test them out at home, but never got the chance. Instead I took them out on a proper mountain today.
There had been lots of fresh snow overnight (after bashing..) and the piste got chopped up pretty quickly.
I really needn't have got worried about going longer - they were great. Handled the bumps well (better than my brain, but that's another story), good at fairly low speeds picking through traffic and much more stable than previous shorter rental skis on faster sections.
Thank you all for your input and suggestions.
ski holidays
@skiinghamster, that's good to hear - enjoy! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Glad to hear you're enjoying them!
snow conditions
@skiinghamster, great to hear it! I hope you get many happy days on them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy