Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first skis, advice please - All mountain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am looking for my first set of skis, although I only generally ski 1 week a year this year I am lucky enough to be working in the South of France and am looking to get into the mountains a fair few times. It makes sense I think to bite the bullet and buy myself a set.

After a lot of trawling and reading reviews I have settled on some Nordica NRGY 80 skis and have found some '15 skis with Nordica bindings cheap (on offer approx 200 quid). I originally wanted to invest in some Volkl Kendos/Blizzard Brahmas but ultimately came to the conclusion that I can't find them in last years model/ I can't really afford to spend that much/ I probably don't need a ski that advanced.

What I've been looking for:

A ski that will let me spend time on the piste, while still allowing me to dabble off the side, try out some jumps and switch skiing and progress from an early intermediate. (Skiied about 5 weeks total, happy in all weather on most reds, generally happy on blacks unless its big bumps or hugely icy/poor visibility, always enjoy hopping off the piste and messing about basically. Also just learnt to carve more competently and would like to improve off piste and nailing some small tricks)

I am:
180cm
65kg
a tight fisted....

This all means that I want something nice and shiny and new but perhaps don't have the perfect technique/weight to make use of a stiffer 500 quid ski. So now the advice...I'm thinking of going for the 169cm ski think an extra 10cm with my weight much be too much. Thoughts please?

Also does anyone have any knowledge of Nordica bindings. Its about an extra 100 euros to upgrade for Marker Squire and I'm not sure if that's worth it (for me). It comes with "NORDICA N ADV P R Evo WB 90mm Military Green Black" 3-10 din and "The ideal binding for skiers improving their skills and looking for an easy-to-use and efficient binding."

Any feedback would be lovely.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This isn't answering your question as posed, but do consider the possibility of taking a season rental. Many places will allow you to swap the skis as you go, which would allow you to try out various options and narrow down what you like in a ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tomf05, I haven't skied them but the reviews say they are a decent intermediate ski so quite suitable for your level. They're fairly soft though and have a rockered tip. This means they feel shorter on the snow than their real length. I would go for the 177cm at your height. If you buy the 169cm and ski several weeks, you're going to outgrow them pretty quickly.

Binding-wise, no need to upgrade. I'm guessing you ski at a DIN of 5-6 which will be fine on the recommended bindings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Volkl RTM range is excellent and at last year's prices should come just in/or maybe just above your budget. They are also a great carving ski
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dear all, many thanks for your helpful replies. I looked into Volkl RTM's and they were a bit out of my budget. Couldnt turn these down at this price: https://www.glisshop.com/pack_ski/nordica/nrgy_80_evo_n_adv_p_r_evo_wb_90mm_military_green_black-75439.html

Also as I plan to be jumping around a bit, may well ski closer to the southern end of the Alps a fair bit but also visit three valleys in Feb I wanted to have the freedom of having my own skis.

In the end went for the 177cm version, due to some advice about the double rocker length and like you say Raceplate, for some progression
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy