Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a lighter jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

I'm hoping for some ski jacket and/or layering advice for the upcoming season. In recent years, I've been mainly skiing in Hokkaido, and the combination of an Icebreaker 200 base layer and a Surfanic Nero jacket (waterproof, all synthetic, insulated) has suited me well. On really cold days (say, -20 C and windy), I would substitute a fleece base layer and add a muffler.

Last year though I moved to Switzerland, and while I'm very happy with the jacket's features, it was way way way too warm for me last season. I ski hot, and sweat easily; the black jacket and the often sunny conditions don't help either. Even with everything ventable venting, and the jacket barely zipped at all, I'm often a sodden mess at the bottom, and then freeze on the lift.

Almost all the skiing I do is on (or near-) piste rather than slogging it up mountains, though I do wear a helmet and usually with a backpack too (for holding change of goggles/sunnies, regular glasses, water, etc. etc.) which of course makes things warmer.

Any suggestions for an alternative jacket or other solution? The ideal, of course, would be something that kept me warm on the lifts, but magically kept me cool and sweat-free on the way down.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfflat, hi and welcome snowHead

Try a softshell if you run hot, much more breathable. Add a base layer and then a fleece if it's cold. You might feel the wind a bit more on the lifts, but if you're not sweaty then you shouldn't chill. Keep the insulated jacket for really cold days.

Alternatively, you could use an uninsulated shell which will be more waterproof and windproof than a softshell, but probably not as breathable. And you may feel like you're wearing a crisp packet wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halfflat, Welcome to Snowheads

There are quite a few lighter outer shell jackets around now, which work well in both super cold and also warm conditions. All depend on your layering.

Good outer shells are more breathable than insulated jackets and with the correct layers work really well in cold conditions as well, one of the reasons for excess perspiration is using base or mid layers that do not wick it away quickly enough, if your then wearing an insulated jacket you end up wet! So I would suggest not only the correct jacket but some good wicking base layers as well.

we do very well with the Ortovox Guardian and also the La Grave jackets, waterproof and the most breathable jackets on the market, but you have to pay a price for them!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are some nice jackets on Sport Pursuit at the moment. Don't know if they ship to Switzerland. They have the Arcterex Beta AR at £200 which is a light weight but bomb proof gore tex pro and short enough for skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rohan Windshadow:
http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-jackets-Windshadow-Jacket-

260 grams of lightness including hood, breathable, windproof and water repellant. Difficult to find lighter. Add insulation to choice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski wrote:
@halfflat, Welcome to Snowheads

There are quite a few lighter outer shell jackets around now, which work well in both super cold and also warm conditions. All depend on your layering.

Good outer shells are more breathable than insulated jackets and with the correct layers work really well in cold conditions as well, one of the reasons for excess perspiration is using base or mid layers that do not wick it away quickly enough, if your then wearing an insulated jacket you end up wet! So I would suggest not only the correct jacket but some good wicking base layers as well.

we do very well with the Ortovox Guardian and also the La Grave jackets, waterproof and the most breathable jackets on the market, but you have to pay a price for them!!!

listen to Tim - the Ortovox shells and layering systems are the best out there and well worth the money. I cant get enough Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try www.gearpest.com. They have some fantastic offers on lightweight jackets and ski wear at the moment. A quick call for advice is a good plan. They know their stuff. Layering is key.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all for the welcome and the suggestions!

Based on my love of pockets, I'm leaning towards the Ortovox Guardian (especially given the extraordinary breathability) and perhaps carrying a middle layer in the backpack should I need it. Expensive, but weighing that against the potential comfort and the other costs of skiing, it seems like a good choice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfflat wrote:
Thank you all for the welcome and the suggestions!

I'm leaning towards the Ortovox Guardian ... and perhaps carrying a middle layer in the backpack should I need it.

Ortovox gear is lovely, but beware making decisions before you try stuff on. Even the best jacket can look rubbish and perform poorly if the fit is wrong. Common problems seem to be....

Buying mail order and therefore not realising that there was a much better fitting jacket from another manufacturer.

Buying a shell jacket large enough to wear 4 layers underneath it, then looking like a sack of potatoes when you wear the jacket over just a long sleeve baselayer on a nice day. Best to try the jacket on with just one midlayer. On the cold days you would be better off wearing your existing insulated jacket.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergans are very good as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damn Why did I check Sportsprsuit.

Just got a Ortovox swisswool jacket 1/2 price. Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oceanic wrote:
Ortovox gear is lovely, but beware making decisions before you try stuff on. Even the best jacket can look rubbish and perform poorly if the fit is wrong. Common problems seem to be....

Buying mail order and therefore not realising that there was a much better fitting jacket from another manufacturer.

Buying a shell jacket large enough to wear 4 layers underneath it, then looking like a sack of potatoes when you wear the jacket over just a long sleeve baselayer on a nice day. Best to try the jacket on with just one midlayer. On the cold days you would be better off wearing your existing insulated jacket.

Sound advice! I'm hoping I can find a local retailer who stocks them, to check fit.

In the past, with the insulated jacket, I think the only time I ever wore a midlayer as well as a baselayer was on a with-wind-chill -40 day. I don't think I'll be skiing in conditions extreme enough to demand four layers! Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfflat wrote:
Oceanic wrote:

Sound advice! I'm hoping I can find a local retailer who stocks them, to check fit.

In the past, with the insulated jacket, I think the only time I ever wore a midlayer as well as a baselayer was on a with-wind-chill -40 day. I don't think I'll be skiing in conditions extreme enough to demand four layers! Shocked

Thats easy, get snow and rock to order a few size in for you to try on and then order them from snowshepherd to get your snowheads discount Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984 wrote:

Thats easy, get snow and rock to order a few size in for you to try

I think Halflatt said that he lives in Switzerland, so I doubt that he will have any trouble finding Ortovox in the shops. When I was in Germany a couple of months ago they stocked Ortovox shells in Intersport.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oceanic wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Thats easy, get snow and rock to order a few size in for you to try

I think Halflatt said that he lives in Switzerland, so I doubt that he will have any trouble finding Ortovox in the shops. When I was in Germany a couple of months ago they stocked Ortovox shells in Intersport.

So he did Happy

Im sure he will find plenty of Ort gear over there Happy
latest report
. . .I sweat like a pig skiing . . the solution - Polartec Power Shield softshells . . .

Rab Baltoro Alpine (now discontinued) or Montane Sabertooth . . .you could buy 4 of these for the price of a Ortovox . . .seriously considering buying one as a back up jacket
latest report
Wow — haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks Ortovox or Bergans jackets in this half of Switzerland. I may have to take a little trip to Basel...
snow conditions
@halfflat, you are comparing two very different environments.

Your existing jacket is (appears to be) not very technical, not bery breathable, insulated and frankly, not much cop (as you have discovered).

Recommendations are for a technical layering system with appropriate layers in the right places and a waterproof/windproof outer.

A world of difference.

You don't need to go anywhere near high prices to achieve this, e.g. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-jacket-id_8224158.html (mountaineering in Decathlon language means not insulated as far as I can see) and a handful of fleeces and base layers to add as required.

There's a Decathlon near Annemasse and better a Quechua in Passy (Sallanches). Or Patagonia, or Peak ($$$) or any number of brands. I wouldn't personally shop for anything like this in Geneva as it's way cheaper to hit France (and de-tax so saving additional 10% on the way back in).
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@halfflat, you are comparing two very different environments.

Your existing jacket is (appears to be) not very technical, not bery breathable, insulated and frankly, not much cop (as you have discovered).
Recommendations are for a technical layering system with appropriate layers in the right places and a waterproof/windproof outer.

Indeed!

I've a light (non-insulated) jacket for hiking, rated at 5000g/m^2/day breathability, and I know from experience this is very far from sufficiently breathable once things become strenuous. So I've got a firm lower bound on acceptable performance in this regard. My main fear is making a poor compromise: not only are these things not cheap, they're also a pain to try on, test, etc.

No one (I think) wants to overspend, but inasmuch as performance is correlated with pricey materials, I'm happy to err on the side of caution.

Quote:
There's a Decathlon near Annemasse and better a Quechua in Passy (Sallanches). Or Patagonia, or Peak ($$$) or any number of brands. I wouldn't personally shop for anything like this in Geneva as it's way cheaper to hit France (and de-tax so saving additional 10% on the way back in).

Oh yep. Just looking locally for fit; purchase will be elsewhere, or online! Given the prices here, I feel that showrooming is a matter of financial self-defence.
ski holidays
Quote:

they're also a pain to try on, test, etc.

It took me three entire evenings in Chamonix a few years ago to decide on my current shell, having tried on every jacket in the town that was an acceptable colour.

And two entire evenings to acquire my new down jacket (which is not going to be adequate for the depths of winter, but is refreshingly lightweight and a lot more useable e.g. off tonight to see "Spectre" in Geneva, wearing it despite 14C outside now.)

I am also finding that rather than a fleece (200 weight) which was my usual mid layer, I now have an Arc'teryx Atom jacket underneath which seems able to cope with a much wider range of temperatures - that combination being pretty much the usual day last year. Required -15C and a bit of wind to need anything else, and comfortable right up till spring.

YMMV... wink
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@halfflat, You don't need to go anywhere near high prices to achieve this, e.g. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-light-jacket-id_8224158.html

I've got one of those jackets, and it is fantastic. I think it is something of an outlier in terms of value for money however. If that particular jacket doesn't fit him, I would be surprised if he could find another full-price jacket that's anywhere near as good for 130 Euros.
snow conditions
I skied in the Quechua Forclaz 400 (green) most of last season on Hokkaido.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-mens-waterproof-jacket-black-id_8302503.html

Base layer, down vest, jacket.

Warm enough for full on winter and riding the lifts. Cool enough for touring with underarm zips.

And £70.

Superb.
ski holidays
I'm a big fan of Decathlon gear as well but bargains are to be had elsewhere if you shop around. My jacket is a Mountain Equipment Changabang, its just a Goretex shell but bought big enough I put whatever insulation layers I need under it. Got mine for under half regular price from a chap on ebay who sells ME seconds, the only problem was the factory has got a bit carried away with the glue sticking the zip in one of the inner pockets. Took about 2 min work to fix!
ski holidays
Quote:

beware making decisions before you try stuff on

Indeed. I bought a very pretty Haglofs shell, online from Cotswold. It looked terrific with only a base layer underneath. But when I went in to buy a mid layer it transpired that the armholes were so narrow that a fleece mid layer bunched up very uncomfortably - so I left the shell in the shop.

I tried on loads of sailing jackets this last summer before finding one that felt comfortable and where the hood/neck/zip/velcro combination felt right.

Quechua/ Decathlon gear does do what it says on the tin, but the choice for females is a bit rubbish.
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, does the Quechua Forclaz 400 feature ski pass pocket?
Looking at the pictures it would appear that it doesn't.

That'd be a shame.
I know it's not a dedicated ski jacket, but the faff when skiing lift - served areas would be significant.
ski holidays
@snowglider, a pass on an elastic round your neck can be easily read - and if you ski with more than one jacket the risk of leaving it in the wrong pocket is significant (been there, done that.....)
latest report
Any inside (or outside) pocket is OK for the pass, on my Changabang I use the internal map pocket
snow report
@pam w, you are so right, it happened to me too Embarassed and cost me 1hr of my 3hr private lessons Crying or Very sad

Just got an idea (it's a slight modification of yours). Instead of having the pass around my neck and down on my chest, to route the cord down the sleeve!
I just realised we are missing a "light bulb" (as in, "idea" symbol) Toofy Grin

Thanks, that helped snowHead
@davkt, thanks as well snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idea
snow report
@davkt, do you have a link or name of the seller on eBay?
snow report
@kitenski: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/daz198/m.html

Often even better prices at one of OSC's sales in Hyde.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy