Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a playful frontside ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey there snowHead !

I'm looking for a pair of skis.
The past 10 or so years I always used rentals. It was the best deal for a 1 week/year trip from the Netherlands to the Alps. This year I will go to Val Thorens, Ischgl and Vallandry (1 week each), and the "black" category of gear is getting a bit expensive at 100 euros a pop. I'm really torn what to get, so I would really appreciate some advice!

This is what I want to do on skis:

• All marked runs. Steep runs, groomed runs, moguls, hard icy snow. I like some speed and some carving but I don't need to aim for speed records. I don't like skis with flapping tips/tails and I want to have some sort of control in steep/icy spots.
  • Play around. I go with a group and most of the time they are a bit slower. I don't like to wait, so instead I cheese around with small jumps on the slope and silly things like one-legged flat 360s. (My goal for last year. Ha! Very Happy)
  • This year, I'm looking to learn some basic grabs and switch carving. I don't get many laps in the park. Think natural features off to the sides of groomers.
  • If conditions allow it, I go between runs to find some powder. Never more than knee-deep, usually less. If it's steep or uncharted terrain I'll take a guide.

I am 184 cm tall and weigh 73 kg. I am a bit sporty but not athletic.
To summarize, I think I'm looking for some kind of allmountain/freestyle ski, narrow/medium width with twin tips and enough camber for stability and pop. I was looking at the Line Chronics, but I cannot find a vendor near me or in Val Thorens that will let me try & buy them.
I read the best thing to do is to demo a few pairs. If so, which ski store should I go to in Val Thorens? Which skis should I ask for?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied the rossignol S4 for almost exactly the same stuff for 3 years (I'm 68kg and 185cm) I found it to be pretty well suited to it if your not expecting slalom ski performance on the ice, it's now called the rossignol scratch but the ski hasn't actually changed in about 8 years I don't think.

I started venturing off piste more and more so I switched to something wider and with a bit of rocker but I think if you're after a freestyle ski that isn't too "freestyly" and can handle a bit of everything on and around pistes I think it's definitly worth a test.

Ps : Last year's version can often be had pretty cheap
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jodiug wrote:
Hey there snowHead !

I like some speed and some carving but I don't need to aim for speed records. I don't like skis with flapping tips/tails and I want to have some sort of control in steep/icy spots.

I

I would have said this sounds like Volk Mantra , Kendo, or Blizzard Brahma , Latigo until you started talking twin tip and switch. I d look at the Blizzard and Volk freestyle options instead then.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot One or Zero One, both in 180cm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynastar Powertrack 85 or 89

The 89 is amazing, and does not feel very freeride, but has the width if you do go off piste and will handle crud and chopped stuff with ease.

They rail on slope very confidence inspiring ski.

G
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jodiug wrote:
Hey there snowHead !

I'm looking for a pair of skis.

This year I will go to Val Thorens, Ischgl and Vallandry (1 week each), and the "black" category of gear is getting a bit expensive at 100 euros a pop.

This is what I want to do on skis:............ ski .............

I am 184 cm tall and weigh 73 kg. I am a bit sporty but not athletic. ......Which skis should I ask for?

You got 300 Euros t play with ................ you are tall but light ................ suggest you buy online but not mainstream ...................... take a slight gamble at brand ............. look to experience new skis rather than be committed to any particular ski ..... conclusion................. BLIZZARD BRAHMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in 180cms.

* sending you a consultation bill tomorrow!*
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all! Some really nice suggestions. I will try to demo some of these. Possibly Rossignol Scratch/Storm, K2 Revivals, Line Chronics or Blizzard Brahmas. Fingers crossed that the French have some of them in stock Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blizzard are now completely sold of 180cm Brahma's with no more coming so the only ones available will be on dealers racks. Luckily I snagged the last pair from the factory for stock Cool

The Brahma's are superb but don't really meet your 'playfulness' requirement as they really need to be 'skied'.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jodiug, check the recommendations people have made here against what people thought of them at the ski tests.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/skibase.php
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the Blizzard section in the above link, the Latigo seems the go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
imo - this is one of the best Ski Shops in Val Thorens - knowledgeable and have decent skis to rent/buy - whether they have what you are looking for is another question of course.
https://www.zenith-skishop.com/ski-rental-val-thorens-home_en.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitedot One.

Does everything you specify, and an absolute joy to ski backwards and to jump.

Mine are on Jester Schizo bindings, and despite being the oldest and most knackered pair of skis I own, are still brilliant.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy