Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 15/16

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/Rz_5K69AesI

good assessment of conditions atm

@footsoldier, no , as @offpisteskiing says top lift and pendant lifts still closed due to large build up of a large cornice giving risk to skiers below
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did someone say snow?

Much caution needed today, but loads of fun to be had in the right spots!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@offpisteskiing, I need to come ski with you. Had a dreadful day at LH. Rained all day, almost empty. I was on,y skiing because it was a friends last day. ☹️
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jbob, it rained at GM too. We made a valiant effort then headed home for hot showers and warmth.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A brief run down of conditions in & around Chamonix this last week: http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2016/01/off-piste-conditions-report-9-jan-2016.html

@jbob, you have my email address...! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Skied GM today, which was ok but too many people trying to ski the small area that was open. Some soft snow with thin windblown crust in the side country.

A frisson of excitement on the way down in the cable car due to a snowboarder trapped above a small cliff in that area under the cable car. Couloir des Fontanes, I think it's called.

Her boyfriend was in the cable car with a pisteur, who had to climb out the top of the cable car to shout down to her to not move. Problem is, she couldn't understand English nor French and her boyfriend was really worked up. The pisteur said they'd call a heli to rescue her but her boyfriend was saying no helicopter, they should send people with ropes. Pisteur had to calm the boyfriend down and insisted a heli rescue was necessary.

Thing is, I don't understand how she got down that far, the snow cover is incredibly thin there at the moment, and very wet and slidey. The whole area is full of small cliffs and gorges. The boyfriend said that she had only been boarding for a week. It beggars believe that he led her down what is a steep and sketchy off piste area in a good snow year. And this is a bad snow year.

Frikkin' idiot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sub_Zero_G, that looks f sketchy. Looks like couloir Philippe.
I've got to fess up. When I saw the conditions this morning and the forecast for the next two days I jumped in the car and drove south for three hours. I'm now ensconced in an Agtiturismo hotel, on the Med for the next three days.
It's 15c and the sun has just gone down.
PS Sub?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sub_Zero_G, wow, what a situation to get into, beggars belief.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jbob, I think you're right. Looking at my Mont Blanc off piste book (page 133 if you have it) it looks like route 57, which is couloir Philippe.

The sub was 'gifted' to me because two other snowHeads – who shall remain unnamed – thought it was funny and asked admin to make it so.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sub_Zero_G, well it just makes you even cooler. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frustration. All of GM closed for the second day running after another 40cm of snowfall last night. Only one or two lifts open on the other mountains.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sub_Zero_G wrote:
Frustration. All of GM closed for the second day running after another 40cm of snowfall last night. Only one or two lifts open on the other mountains.

Can you get across to Bruson?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Door to door, two quick runs before the crowds turned up.

Ankle to knee deep off piste at the top of the Prarion. Some pistes still firm due to windblown snow.

Below top of Maison Neuve DON'T ski off piste, there is no base, you will be skiing rocks/trees/grass etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Idris, OMg.

I presume cos all else was shut due wind or security?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Idris, OMg.

I presume cos all else was shut due wind or security?

The crowd in the pic was small 'cause no busses had turned up for a while + it was still before 10am, got a bit messy later - good thing I was off makin' sawdust not trying to fight for my sqm of pow Wink
snow conditions
With both GM and Le Tour completely closed and only one lift open at Brévent and and one open at Flégère, we hopped into the car and headed to Area X. Although it snowed all of last night and was still snowing this morning, our expectations weren't that high considering the conditions of late.

But we hit the jackpot. The area was mostly empty. The pistes were covered with anywhere from 10–40cm of fresh snow and the side country had way more, up to waist deep in places. And we had it all to ourselves, with snow falling throughout the day to keep things topped up. I just could not believe how untracked everything was, I've never seen anything like it!

What a day! The best of the season so far snowHead

This little clip, courtesy of another snowHead who wishes to remain anonymous, tells you everything you need to know about just how much fun we had today. This was on one of our early runs and the snow wasn't even that deep on this run but it was smooth and creamy and glorious!

** Turn your sound up to hear the joy Very Happy (strong language warning)

http://youtube.com/v/HMomG7mCdxM
latest report
@Sub_Zero_G, Area X looks nice - I know it well. If conditions continue as forecast, I'll be there myself on Friday. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Chamcham, shhh, wouldn't want the Cham hordes ruining it wink
snow report
With very little open today, no car and the Les Houches buses so full that we couldn't squeeze on if our lives depended on it, we headed up to Brévent.

Turned out to be a good choice because there was deep, fresh snow to play in. And there was more than enough coverage in the little bits of forest, where it was armpit deep in some places, which I discovered when I took a tumble and sank down. Took a week while to dig down through the snow to reach my skis so that I could take them off and extricate myself Shocked

ski holidays
Watched the sh(t show out the window as the Prarion opened after 9.15 instead of 8.45. Waited an hour then went up and skied a few untracked pow laps.

Went back up in the afternoon with my Wife who is just back from Japan and has brought good weather with her.

latest report
Breaking news. Col Montets reopening tonight.
latest report
Much of Chamonix on lock-down for the past few days. Luckily Compagnie du Mont Blanc bought Evasion-Mont Blanc and the MBU gives unlimited acces to Megeve, Les Contamines, St. Gervais, Comboloux. Here are a few from Les Contamines today:

Also Courmayeur is loaded, calm and relatively open.
snow conditions
@Fergus, ahhhh - that explains it, didn't realise they'd actually bought them. Trip to the bus station and booking Courmayer for Saturday is on the cards then Toofy Grin
snow report
@Fergus, very nice snowHead
latest report
@Sub_Zero_G, @Chamcham, roughly so as not to give the game away of course… what altitude are you skiing at in "Area X"?
latest report
@miranda, we skied 1,900m down to about 1,500m to get back to the car (thought it was a little thin lower down)
snow conditions
Been spending far too much time watching the Les C webcams given I'm not out again until the end of the month. But given how quiet the next couple of weeks will be and a little local knowledge I'm pretty sure there will still be powder to ski then Very Happy
As davidof has been reporting in another thread the snow/rain/thaw/freeze will have build a really solid base over the Les C meadows and bushes and should guarantee good off-piste for much of the season - needing only little falls of fresh to make everything lovely.
snow conditions
How's on-piste conditions currently at Chamonix/Argentiere? Thinking of getting overthere this weekend if it's good. Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skidm, i expect pretty good
latest report
@skidm, not bad at all! It's more finding open lifts you need to worry about... Skied LH today, was good up high but still pretty bare when you got lower down, lapping the top two chairs on the right hand side proved to be good fun.
latest report
@skidm, haven't skied GM for a few days because it's been either mostly or completely closed. I expect that with all the snow of late the pistes should be in good nick above the mid station.
ski holidays
A fine day with Avalanche Academy in Chamonix on their avalanche progression course, joined by a few other snowHeads, jbob, JohnM and BobinCH.

Due to lift closures, weather conditions and avy risk, we ended up in Les Houches and had a brilliant time. The day started with assessing avy and weather reports and looking at maps to plan the day. Then we headed up the mountain to ski some lovely, deep snow in the trees and meadows, did some pit digging, column tests and rescue simulation where we located and dug out three avy 'victims' in 13 minutes. Learned a lot from that session (group leader, anyone?)

Stuart of Avalanche academy imparting some wisdom to the group

jbob wearing his winter beard
latest report
@Sub_Zero_G, i'm doing the same course on the 31st , sounds like a very informative day , how long were you out for in total ??
latest report
It was pretty much the whole day.
snow conditions
It's my intention to book one of these days sometime mid February. Good to hear it went well.
latest report
@MadMountainMan, it's definitely worth it. I did their avalanche foundation course last season. If you're going to do them, I'd recommend doing both the foundation and progression courses within the same season.
snow report
Thanks @Sub_Zero_G, I shall have to see how the pennies are. I do already have a fair bit of av knowledge but it's all probably a bit out of date and I feel the need for a refresher. Toofy Grin
snow report
Went t Courmayeur today, nice skiing. A word of warning if using the tunnel, there were strict checks going on in and out of Italy of passports etc.
snow report
Fergus wrote:
Here are a few from Les Contamines today:

Also Courmayeur is loaded, calm and relatively open.

I have to say this is one sweet photo. Looks awesome!
snow report
Please put COURMAYEUR updates in the Courmayeur thread, LES CONTAMINES updates in the Les Contamines thread etc.

Two fold - it makes the Chamonix thread messy but more importantly it deprives anyone searching for Courmayeur, Contamines. St Gervais updates of that information!

Anyway enough ranting.

Almost Everything open today (only top of GM closed due to snow/ice clearing and avie danger)

Lovely fresh snow - ok only 5cm last night everywhere.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy