Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Val Gardena - Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning on going skiing from 2nd to 9th of January and have always wanted to ski in the Dolomites. I have spent a fair bit of time researching resorts and have found a couple good valued hotels in Selva Val Gardena. Both hotels are around 10 minutes walk to the nearest lift and close to a bus stop for bus to Main Ciampinoi gondola. Some of the reviews mention that the bus service is inconsistent and only runs every half an hour. I don't fancy walking for 10 minutes + in boots and carrying ski's if this proves to be the case.

Does anyone know if there is a ski garage to store ski's close to the main gondola or lifts in resort, I would rather walk from the hotel to the lifts and leave ski's close by or do any ski hire shops allow you to store your ski's in the shops? I've done a bit of googling put can't find an answer.

The hotels on the shortlist are Hotel Pineta and Hotel Alpino Plan so if anyone has any experience of these it would also be good to hear. Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't remember how often they were. One thing that's annoying is you have to pay for the bus.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've looked at Selva as well. Scuola Sci Selva have a ski depot that seems closest to the Ciampioni lift. It's opposite the hotel Laurin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Alpino Plan is a very long walk into town, I would say closer to 20 mins than 10, but La Pineta isn't so bad (IIRC). It's been 4 years since I've been to Selva but I remember the buses being much more frequent than that at peak morning and tea time - and yes you have to buy an additional bus pass; about 7-8 Euro I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a bus stop right outside the Alpino Plan, alternatively - you can walk 200 metres down the hill and get on to a piste which will take you into town.

(IIRC) The Pineta is a 5 minute walk to the Main road and bus stop and further 7ish minutes to the main Ciampinoi lift.

If you are hiring skis, shops will let you leave skis :: Ski Olga will (a few metres from Ciampinoi lift)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice - I've just booked La Pineta, I found another ski hire shop (Alain Ski Rental) near the lift that lets you store your ski's so that will be the plan. Webcam watch will now begin Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to Hotel Pineta's website a ski bus does stop outside the hotel but this bus goes to the ski school area not the main lift. The plan will be to leave ski's close to the lift and walk. I'll take a look at Ski Olga and Scuola Ski Selva - thank you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"..According to Hotel Pineta's website a ski bus does stop outside the hotel.."

so it does......!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@laura1182, stayed in the Pineta last year, really good. I would not worry about carrying skis to much.

In the morning we used to get the bus (which stops right outside) up to the saslong, and as long as you don't mind a little bit of an icey red to start the day you literally get dropped at half way up the slope and can then get the saslong lift up. Other than that you could walk down to the Main Street then up past the ice rink to the nursury slopes and do a lot of small drag lifts up to the dontichempes (or however it is spelt). You could walk to the Main Street to the other main lift, (champamoi) Which is 10 minutes walk or so from the hotel. The buses are fairly frequent and you get a bus ticket with the hotel, but they do get irregular at certain times in the day.

There is a ski shop, Bruno's, who are really good (closest to you) opposite the Oswald hotel.

Oh and It's a 5 minute walk to the bars.

Have fun, I'm very jealous.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought the busses were quite regular in the mornings and evenings. Lunch time period you could wait for a long time. The cost of the ski bus is now 10 Euros but lasts for the entire week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only thing id say is Don't bother skiing around the loop... Not worth doing, the hidden valley is worth a go due to the Nag lift... And the mamolda is good if its open
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stay on the bus and go to the Costabella lift and up Danterceppies, the run into Covara is brilliant first thing, or go to Plan de Gralba to avoid the red graveyard slope Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bartezki wrote:
Stay on the bus and go to the Costabella lift and up Danterceppies, the run into Covara is brilliant first thing, or go to Plan de Gralba to avoid the red graveyard slope Cool

Also staying in Selva (Hotel Edda) which is a mile up from Selva on the road to Plan de Gralba, so was planning the small blue run into Selva in the morning, is this still an ideal plan? Will have to head to schools in Selva for 3 mornings as we have a few lessons planned.
What do you mean by the 'Red Graveyard slop' Bartezki??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
madlondoner wrote:
I can't remember how often they were. One thing that's annoying is you have to pay for the bus.

Was that recently? When I was there in Jan 2014 the B&B gave us "guest cards" that covered all buses (as far as Bolzano even). The B&B owner said they were a new thing that season, hopefully they will continue to do this.

We stayed a fairly long walk from the lifts, so we took the bus and it worked out OK. They run to a timetable and we found them reliable but not that frequent and I think they stop pretty early so you don't want to spend too long in the bar after skiing. We found taxis were very unreliable and hard to find, and other we met backed that up, so if you ever do get stuck I'd phone the hotel and ask them to help you get a cab.

Selva is great, and really easy to get to on public transport so I'd be happy to go back, but for ski convenience Corvara is even better, a lot of the hotels are walking distance to the lifts. Worth a look if you really don't fancy the buses.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At the top of ciampinoi lift the red to the left of the lift station is known as a bottleneck, and is quite steep, but is a route to plan de gralba, and lots of less experienced skiers get a surprise, but there are alternatives, to the right is a more gentle route, but it does get churned up, better, if your bussing to lifts, to avoid first thing. If going to Covara you need an area pass.
ski holidays
I've stayed in both Hotel Pineta (3 times) and been to Selva val Gardena. The ski bus does indeed stop right outside the hotel. Selva and the Dolomites ski area is huge and is absolutely fantastic. Love it. Go - you won't be disappointed.
latest report
Simon94

".....so was planning the small blue run into Selva in the morning, is this still an ideal plan?..." Yes

"...Will have to head to schools in Selva for 3 mornings as we have a few lessons planned...." Beginners take their lesson on the Selva nursery slopes - more advanced skiers use the Plan de Gralba slopes
ski holidays
ski , singular
skis, plural
ski's, possessive singular, as in " the ski's edge was ruined"
skis' , possessive plural, as in "the skis' bases need waxing"
ski holidays
@Simon94, the Costabella lift drops you into the nursery slopes where lessons normally start.
snow conditions
@Simon94, if you book your lessons with "Ski School Selva" then they will shuttle you up to the nursery slopes from their office across the road from the Luiskeller apres bar
snow conditions
@albob, @Bartezki, @jimmybog, thanks for your replies and appreciate the comments. We are all intermediates at different levels, so have a feeling we will be heading upto Plan de Grabla...........to ski on my skis (just for @Scrumpy, ).... snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy