Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blue run Grande Motte in Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been down the blue run off of the Grande Motte? If so would they say it was a true blue run and suitable for those who have only ski'd once or twice?

Will very much appreciate your advice!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been down it, tho not really evaluated its difficulty. I think it's quite wide and consistent. It's very pretty, and not too busy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you.. probably being overly worried that the other slopes wont be open when we arrive in December so am looking further up the mountains!! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes and with small kids- a just 5 yr old. No epics. Slow and steady wins the race.

It is long and parts are a bit remote. It is no harder than other blues in Espace Killy- but there are some hard blues in Espace Killy. There are a couple of little sections which do seem to make a number of people struggle. Take them steady. THere are also one or two flattish and uphill sections which will be tiring if you can't ski fast.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes and with small kids- a just 5 yr old. No epics. Slow and steady wins the race.

It is long and parts are a bit remote. It is no harder than other blues in Espace Killy- but there are some hard blues in Espace Killy. There are a couple of little sections which do seem to make a number of people struggle. Take them steady. THere are also one or two flattish and uphill sections which will be tiring if you can't ski fast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks ed123 that's helpful... very exciting about our trip to Tignes again, and trying check out other areas we haven't been too. We loves the tranquil area last time Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, I was thinking about the Rosolin blue run??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't recall having skied Rosolin- it is on the glacier- is it used for summer skiing only?

The blue I'd recommend- is Genepy- the long one from the mid station to Val Claret.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rosolin won't be open during the main season. The cable car and the Leisse chairlift are usually the only lifts open on the glacier, and both serve steep terrain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Tignes April 2014. Rosolin was closed all week. Genepy is a great run as it's very scenic and was always pretty empty which is good for blasting down it or taking your time to admire the views.

However, from memory at the bottom it becomes rather flat then goes slightly uphill as it joins the blue back to VC (Prariond). If you don't carry much speed down the final pitch you end up with a fair bit of polling/walking which caught me out the first time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Rosolin won't be open during the main season. The cable car and the Leisse chairlift are usually the only lifts open on the glacier, and both serve steep terrain.

Thanks.. When does the main season start? We go the second week in December. And i guess you can get the funiculair up to motte and back down again?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Floss wrote:
Thanks.. When does the main season start? We go the second week in December. And i guess you can get the funiculair up to motte and back down again?
Last weekend in November, snow conditions permitting. Yes, the funicular is open all season, and you can travel in both directions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Genepy. Too much poleing for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First time I did genepy I got caught out on the flat bit , but now I know where it is, I just flat line in before and there is no need to pole.
One of my favourite runs for the views and the easy gliding.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dogwatch, Yip - but there are some great off piste pitches that are not too steep...........
snow report
Genepy is one of my all time favourite runs. The first time I ever began to feel that I might get the hang of this skiing business was a sunny day at Easter about six or seven years ago. My son was off up the glacier with some much more advanced mates so I was on my own and set off down Genepy not knowing quite what to expect. It was a revelation. Beautiful views in the sunshine, perfectly manageable slope and a huge sense of achievement on arrival in Val Claret. There is one mildly tricky bit a few minutes in where the piste gets a bit narrow as the fall line switches 90 degrees to the left and gets a bit steeper for a few metres, but I do stress the word "mildly" in that sentence. It's also true that there are some flattish sections lower down but even as a near beginner I was able to carry enough speed into them to avoid excessive polling. I will be in Tignes inthe first week of January and one of the things I am most looking forward to is taking my daughter down Genepy.
snow report
Floss wrote:
When does the main season start? We go the second week in December

Last season's EK piste map had Nov 29th as the opening date and 3rd May the close.

The one run I've never managed to find is Cairn, I always go straight down Double M. Genepy is lovely, and always much less busy than double M.
ski holidays
@Floss, wrap up well it'll likely be cold! Pretty steady run and it's well worth doing albeit quite exposed if it's windy. Best week we ever had in EK was early December, no crowds and super cold crisp days, fresh powder every morning. Short days and bitter cold though, take plenty of layers.
ski holidays
@Floss, if weather clear and not too cold, well worth the short walk rightish from the cable car top station. Spectacular views from the top of the Grande Motte ridge. Fair to say the cable car often closed for high winds or poor visibility. Grab your chance to get up there when you can.
Blue run steepish in parts but wide. Great sense of alpine experience for early intermediates.
I think the blue to avoid in Espace Killy is Santons. Wrongly graded to make access to Val D village look better than it is. It gets many similar comments on snowHeads threads. A relaxing ride down in the Olympique gondola, with views of the Mens' Olympic Downhill run below, much better way to get to the Val D side.
Enjoy!
snow report
intermediate wrote:
Blue run steepish in parts but wide.
From the top of the Grand Motte cablecar? Are you sure? It's much steeper than a blue.
snow report
@rob@rar, Ooops, yes you're right, thanks. The Glaciers piste from top station graded red. As I said, steep in parts but wide enough to allow traversing. Possibly OK for early intermediates if snow and visibility both good. Otherwise may be too challenging. Much of the Tignes 'bowl', above the Rocher de Bellevarde and the top of the Solaise all good areas for confidence building practice.
Warning about the green graded Verte down to La Daille. Nice enough first part but can be very challenging lower down in some conditions. Graded wrong in my opinion.
snow report
intermediate wrote:
@rob@rar, Ooops, yes you're right, thanks. The Glaciers piste from top station graded red.
It is graded red, but the wall half way down the piste is steep for a red. For an inexperienced intermediate I don't think there is much terrain on the glacier itself which is worth attempting if the rest of the domain is open.
ski holidays
Hmmm,
well genepy is a nice blue, starts at the cable car bottom station,as with many runs the grading is generally accurate, there is a section about 1/3 rd of the way down which is a bit steeper than the rest, then followed by a flat bit that narrows and then climbs slightly, after that slight rise it flattens off then drops to a dip which needs to be taken with some speed to reach the section that takes you back towards val claret.

However, the problem is not genepy, but the steeper red that connects genepy back to VC.
this can be a mix of smooth but icy, bumpy, bumpy with icy sections, or superb snow, depending on how recent new fall of snow!

so, genepy is ok, the sting in the tail is the red standard bit at the end!

For someone who has only skied "once or twice" as you describe it, I think it would be a bit of a challenge to get down, lots of traversing..... doable if you take your time and have good visibilty. Its a problem (Toofy Grin )with Espace Killy, its not really that good a beginners resort. even the mass of blues just over the ridge involve short steeper bits to get back to the tommeuse chair to return to VC
latest report
@snowornever, you are of course welcome to your opinion but you can't make up facts- as CP Scott more or less said. There is absolutely no need to venture on to a red slope between Genepy and Val Claret. Perhaps you got a little bit lost?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 12-11-15 23:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Indeed, Genepy is nowhere near Double M!! It goes round the back..

There are a couple of blues off the top that feed into Double M, but not Genepy - it's blue allllll the way Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

but not Genepy - it's blue allllll the way

All the way until it finishes and becomes Prariond which is blue all the way into VC (and the Aspen Very Happy )
snow report
Bogusman wrote:
@snowornever......There is absolutely no need to venture on to a red slope between Genepy and Val Claret.

I'd go further than that. Once you leave the glacier on Genepy, I don't think there's any way to access any 'red' run at all
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd go further than that. Once you leave the glacier on Genepy, I don't think there's any way to access any 'red' run at al

Correct - unless they turn left by mistake and head down that wee run into Double M............but if you follow the signposts for Genepy you will never touch a red.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm wondering whether @snowornever, might be thinking of the blue down from the Tichot/Gratleau area, which has that steeper bit down at the end..... Carline?
snow conditions
I did Genepi when I was the standard you describe. Once in good snow - fab. Once in icy conditions (after freeze -thaw-freeze...although hopefully you'll have none of that in December!) - terrifying. It ran very very fast - or at least it felt like that at the time. So - as ever - all depends on the conditions. If good, go for it. You'll enjoy it. I was also informed that on the icy trip, Double M had softened up as the sun was on it (unlike genepi) and that would have been easier, which was irritating. I don't know how the sun will be affecting the slopes in December but again maybe worth asking advice "on the ground".
I'd also second the warning about the green grading down to La Daile and note that it is part of the main route down from La Folie Deuce. Maybe one to avoid, at least in the afternoon.

suec
snow report
As blue runs in the EK go this is certainly a lovely long and scenic ones but it does have a couple of small bits that are a little more challenging but all in all it is one of my favourite blues out there (and not to frequented at all!).
latest report
Quote:
I'd also second the warning about the green grading down to La Daile 
Probably the only green run ever where you'll be able to practise your mogul skiing...Shocked
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, what about the green at the top of the Borsat Express? Moguls? On a green run? What? Very Happy
snow report
This thread (and the one about black runs) got me thinking, so I searched out old piste maps. We first went to Tignes in 1999, back then the run off the top of the cable car was blue. I don't know when (or why) it became red, by the thread title I thought it had reverted. The next piste map I can find is 2004 and it's red by then, but descente (the black next to it) isn't there then, that doesn't arrive till my next map which is 2006.
snow report
Last time I skied Genepy there was a 100kmh cross wind, it made for a very memorable descent. Even in those conditions it wasn't particularly difficult though, it's not too steep and fairly wide, a standard blue. I vaguely remember a narrow part lower down after you do the first turn to the right where you have to go single file and snow plough but it's almost flat so not really a problem. You can check the weather conditions at the top before getting on the Funicular. Well worth the trip up, the views are fantastic.
ski holidays
Does Genepy come down from the top of the funicular to Val Claret? That must make it one of the longest "blue" descents in the business. A great trip for a warm sunny day.
snow conditions
@pam w, yes, I think that's the one that @DrLawn and I did on the PSB a couple of years back. The rest of the gang went down a busy, crowded Double M. We cruised down a beautiful, deserted, gorgeous blue run instead. Fabulous.

I think it's also the run with huge signs saying, "Don't go off piste over here. There are cliffs. Really big cliffs. Really, really big cliffs. Honest." You carry on for aaaaaaaages, wondering what the fuss is all about. Then eventually you turn a corner and realise that the area leads to the biggest, sheerest cliff you've ever seen in your life. It's very dramatic!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy