Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbag ABS - Rent or buy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im after some advice. As a newbie to off piste I'm not sure if I've done the right thing as I've put down a small deposit on an ABS bag as I got a good deal. I'm now tormenting myself as I'm not sure I've done the right thing?

For a newbie that might get 10 days a year and of those days maybe only 8, but I don't know which 8!, will involve any form of off piste.

Do I rent? Do I buy? Would I be better not getting an ABS and putting the money towards some mountain craft lessons?

I understand the 'how much is your life worth?' argument and have got myself a transceiver probe and shovel as the minimum level of kit

Help me sleep at night!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renting is a hassle - you have to find a store that rents, queue take it back at the right time etc etc. Owning is also a bit of a hassle if you fly but airlines are getting used to it. Renting for 8 days a season will set you back around 200 Euro I'd guess so over 2/3 seasons you've covered it easily. The real objective of course it to make it the most expensive piece of kit you never use.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, cheers. The bag I've put a deposit on is the same as spyderjons Scott 30 RAS and he rates it so it looks like I've the right thing. Hurrah!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@charliesimpson, yu dun gud Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you can hire Airbag Rucksacks in the UK from http://www.outdoorhire.co.uk/quick-links/snow-safety.php We use Interlink to deliver. It is always a easier when you own your own kit but if you are an occasional user it is quite often cheaper to hire. Sometime it is just down to the math and your gut feeling what is best. Spending money on training is seldom wasted. Dave Etherington IFMGA mountain guide
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Would I be better not getting an ABS and putting the money towards some mountain craft lessons?

Yes, using an an airbag is the last resort , if it's either/or and you have 0 off piste experience (i don't mean the skiing part) then you will probably have a better chance at survival not getting yourself into those situations.
Also the chances of you skiing steep off piste terrain is pretty low if you are new to it, the 'how much is your life worth' saying is pretty pointless as all the monies and gear in the world wont help you when you make bad choices as many have found out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
charliesimpson wrote:

Would I be better not getting an ABS and putting the money towards some mountain craft lessons?

IMHO, yes. Do a 2 day avalanche course. Then buy an avalanche rescue pack anyway Smile

You should also read some good books - pretty sure I've posted a list with links before, but have a look at your favourite book shop for any of these:

. "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain" by Tremper
. "Avalanche Essentials: A Step by Step System for Safety and Survival " also by Tremper
. "Snow Sense: A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard" by Fredston and Fessler

Travelling with a avalanche rescue pack is a bit of a pain but it's getting easier. There's a thread on SH all about it...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy