Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomson Airways - Ski Boots In Hand Baggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone travelled Thomson Airways and put their Ski Boots in a normal approved cabin sized bag? I'm finding conflicting reports all over the place... we're off to Lauterbrunnen and I would rather put them in a cabin back where I know they will arrive in one piece than risk being thrown all over the place by baggage handlers.

One of the other lads booked the holiday so I don't know the ins and outs properly only that we have each been charged a £30 ski carriage on the invoice. There's only me taking my own boots, all others are hiring when we get there, we aren't taking ski's or snowboards either.

I'm just wondering if security might stop you as well assuming boots can be seen as "an offensive weapon" rolling eyes

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, talking rubbish about the Ski carriage...having just got a copy of the booking, it's a flight supplement of £30 and not ski carriage. There has been no ski carriage charged after all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just hope they do let you take them as hand luggage...cause if they go in the hold in a separate bag to your main luggage they will prob ask you for a ski equipment charge.

Easiest solution I see is put them in your main bag (protected by you clothes, etc) and squeeze the excess clothes that may not now fit in your main bag into your hand luggage!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been previously turned back by security for having my ski boots as hand luggage. I had to go back and put them as checked baggage. From then on I have always put them in my main hold bag, surrounded by clothes and filled with socks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They won't have a clue if you take them as hand baggage so long as the bag is within the normal limits. I've been taking my boots between Edinburgh and Stansted over a number of weeks and Security never had it queried. There was a thread on here recently where someone had got one of these and was very pleaded with it - http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/luggage-c46/travel-bags-c47/basic-duo-boot-bag-p3688
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Spike107, in general, you should be fine. There have been reports that some airports are "difficult" e.g. Chambery. Security shouldn't have anything to say about it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Grenoble was mentioned as another who won't allow boots in hand baggage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Spike107, in general, you should be fine. There have been reports that some airports are "difficult" e.g. Chambery. Security shouldn't have anything to say about it.

Gaza wrote:
@under a new name, Grenoble was mentioned as another who won't allow boots in hand baggage.

So what are we saying I "could" get out of Manchester with my boots in my hand baggage ok, but the return leg at foreign airports could prove tricky and get stung big time? Confused I hadn't given the return leg much thought to be honest, just presumed (perhaps wrongly) that once you get out there from UK all is well on the return leg....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only tried once to take mine as hand luggage. Thompson flight out of Manchester and they (airline) wouldn't take them. Was a few (6?) years ago though. Also seen them refused at Grenoble where it was the airport but people didn't find out until they got to security.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Spike107, it is highly unlikely you will have any issue. The only place where there has been problems highlighted is Grenoble. There is noting in the rules that prevent you from taking boots. It just seems that someone in Grenoble has made up a rule.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Spike107, I'd think so. I don't see where anyone from the airline will find out anything. It's all airport staff you see isn't it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thomson do state that ski boots are allowed in a separate bag - "Boots form part of your 20kg hold allowance but can be in a separate boot bag." So if push really did come to shove then you can put them in the hold with no charge so long as the total weight was less than 20kg. As the only time you are likely to get stopped is at security (although it is unlikely) your hold bag will be long gone and the check-in staff are unlikely to try to identify if your hold bag plus boot bag was over 20kg.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've taken mine through Manchester as hand luggage several times and never had a problem. Just don't mention it to the airline.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't bother if it's a single leg. Ok, I've had my stuff lost on a non-stop flight, but it's pretty rare, it's only when there's a transfer that the risk is significant, in my experience. Otherwise, if it's within their weight limit I can't see that they have any rights to stop you. In the worst case, I'd politely suggest that if they insist, I'd put the ski boots on and put my shoes in my hand baggage *whilst I check in*. Politeness coupled with a knowledge of their rules probably is all you need.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sage advice, @philwig,
ski holidays
Reasonable advice but if your hold luggage is a ski bag I'd still be wary - these can and do get left behind. I've never come across a serious airport where security has a problem with ski boots in hand luggage - London airports, GVA, ZRH, Milan, Lyons, Basel, INN, US, Canada so it suggests to me the problem is limited to some well documented exceptions like Grenoble.
snow conditions
It's all down to airport security who should allow them through. If the airline are saying they have to be charged as ski carriage it's just a trick to make money as they have no way to enforce it.
ski holidays
Flying with sleazy jet last year I had one boot in my rucksack that I carried on as hand luggage to keep the weight of my hold baggage down. Didn't have any problems in either direction (Gatwick/Geneva) but was definitely a bit worried that they may have caused a problem. I can't really see why it would be a security risk though, they scan them for anything untoward and a ski boot will do no more damage than a couple of bottles from duty free (if wielded with bad intentions).
latest report
Before I bought my skis I always put my boots in the hold luggage, wrapped in jacket/salopettes. The chance of them being damaged is remote, just think about the battering they can take on the slopes! It's always a risk that security may deem them as dangerous and refuse to allow them through - to late to ask airline to put them on the plane. Now I have skis, my boots always travel in their own bag and I have never had an issue. Suspect they are not loaded with the suitcases.

If weight is an issue, make sure you maximise carry on luggage Very Happy

For those interested, Ski carriage never guarantees delivery! If the plane is deemed overweight by the pilot, the 1st thing they will offload will be the skis and boots as these are deemed non-essential. As we have paid for carriage, the airline does normally attempt to deliver in the next day or so, so make sure if this happens the luggage ticket is kept safe and details of resort/travel company are passed to baggage handler at the airport.

The only time I came close to leaving skis behind was on a return flight from Innsbruck to Gatwick with Easyjet. Innsbruck is a short runway, so if the wind is in the wrong direction planes struggle to take off with a full load. Embarassed Easyjet pilot offered to offload people or baggage so he could take off and fly direct to LGW. Luckily pilot came up with a plan B. He parked at the back of the airport and burnt off fuel until the weight was low enough to take off Toofy Grin Only issue was we had to stop at Munich to refuel. Bet RyanAir would not have done that. Easyjet got a big thank you from me... spoo
latest report
I've flew Newcastle to Turin with Thomson a number of times (with the boots in an obvious ski boot bag as hand luggage) and never had a problem.
snow conditions
I flew with mine in a standard boot bag as hand luggage with Easyjet though Luton / Salzburg last year. Easyjet offered to chuck them in the hold for me (for free), but didn't pressure when I declined their offer. I did have to jiggle them in the bag (as they were next to each other) to fit the size. I could really do with some proper 'correct size' luggage, that would also be relatively airline safe if they did insist on the hold. I saw the Snokart Kabin bags - which look the thing, but I don't really fancy paying 100 quid plus (especially as Mrs. Tubaski will probably want one too) - has anyone got any cheaper recommendations? I guess there are lots of products that would do, but if anyone has anything that works for them a pointer would be appreciated. Wheels considered a plus!
snow conditions
@Tubaski, I have this Snowkart pack — holds your boots and helmet, plus other bits. £40.

http://www.snokart.com/collections/ski-boot-bags/products/boot-helmet-pack

I've never had an issue with taking it as a cabin bag; but if you have an issue with Easyjet or Ryanair, just pop the helmet on your head, and re-arrange the boots in the bag, and it will then fit their size-checking devices.
snow conditions
I always put in hold luggage. If hold stuff is overweight then I put clothes stuff in hand baggage.peace of mind...at least you won't we worrying at security.
Also think about it, an over zealous security person could decide to take your boots apart,just in case there's something "extra"in there!! Sharm el Sheik?
So common sense would say put in the hold baggage
latest report
Flown London City - Chambery route with BA on a number of occasions with boots (stuffed with numerous other items!) in a boot-bag as cabin luggage. Never had it questioned although one must expect to have the bag content emptied and checked at the x-ray machines...
snow conditions
You could always just wear them.....

When I went to Russia to climb Mount Elbrus a few years back I had a week in Moscow/St Petersburg followed by a week climbing the mountain. It was July and I had so much high altitude/cold weather gear that I elected to wear my plastic mountaineering boots on the plane to save weight.

Unfortunately, my hold luggage didn't make the connecting flight and I had to spend a day in 35 Degree C Moscow walking around in plastic boots until my baggage arrived!

I had some interesting looks that day.

rolling eyes Very Happy rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy