Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre chevalier or sauze d'oulx for new year

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

I was hoping to get some advice on these two for a weeks skiing over new year as I haven't been to either.

It's going to be me and my girlfriend plus my sister and her husband. My brother and law and I will be skiing together and will be looking to be off piste as much as possible and will be ready for touring.

The girls will likely be skiing in the morning and might have lessons but will be into nice lunches and drinks. They might also take a couple of days off to mooch around town.

So in short we are looking for a nice village, good food and good bars but not crazy apres. Advice on shorter lift queues also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serre Chevalier is much under rated as a ski resort but has all the things you are looking for. Sauze D'oulx is probably good value for money but did have a bit of a reputation for hard drinking night life.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Definitely leaning that way....

J
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier has great off piste and the girls can take the free bus into Briancon to shop! I was there last year and agree that it is much underrated.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@welshskier, +1, it is a great place for all.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not skied a lot in Sauze but have skied Serre Che quite a bit, it's a great place to ski. What would sway it for me booking in advance early season is that the more common weather systems drop more snow on Serre Che and have the Italian side in a bit of a rain shadow. This is not always the case I believe last march had huge quantities of snow in Italy but based on quite a large number of trips to and from Turin airport it appears to be more commonly the case.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sauze and the MilkyWay aren't known for good early season snow so xmas/NY might be a risk. However the 2 xmas visits I've done there, one had plenty with 3/4 open, in a season when early snow was a rare commodity across the rest of the alps and the second was epic with everything open and several mornings of fresh powder; So you might get lucky. Sauze has a bit of a party reputation but at xmas seemed quiet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. Serre chevalier now booked up and can't wait.

Have a good season everyone.

J
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kesone1,
Have a great trip.we're out there on 17th January staying at the (not so) Grand hotel.Any other snowheads out that week?
Check out the tourist office website for some extra activities.there's even the chance to go in the snowploughs,as well as the hot springs etc
Enjoy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...sorry meant Piste bashers!!!!
Snowploughs are what I do!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kesone1, If I had your choice there is only one answer: Serre Chevalier Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@lambert, I'm here all year so hit me up for a ski Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why do people on this thread prefer Serre Chevalier to Sauze? Are the prices 'French' in SC or are they friendly like Italy?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Both !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I last skied Sauze about 40 years ago and was in Serre Chevalier last year so I may be biased, but I'll be in Sauze in January and will be better placed to compare. However, SC really is great for offpiste, and good on piste through the larch forest, as well as being handily placed near a real town.
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Both !

What does that mean?

See, I'm pretty in love with Sauze. Refugios are friendly, and many are nice sunny places. The tree line is very high, and the tree skiing is great fun. 3 days after a dump, I can still find fresh tracks.

And say what you want about drag lifts, but the skiing off those drags lifts is just so much fun! And because they are drag lifts, it keeps the rift-raft away that can only ski if they 'sit' on the uplift.

And then of course, the price of said food. I ski with my two kids, and it's mama-money-bags, but in Italy, I say 'yes' all day long. When we have skied France, we pack our lunch in the backpack, I get a morning coffee, the kids split a hot chocolate, and in the afternoon they can choose from another hot chocolate or a crepe. Otherwise I'd be broke after the first day.

All that said, I've haven't skied Serre - and just wondering what I'm missing.
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam, Welshskier sums it up, I am biased though!
One thing I do miss is the Italian mountain restaurants, just don't get them in France! But luckily as SC is a very "French" resort, the food here is good and not as expensive as most...
ski holidays
@KenX,
That would be great.maybe see you at Grand or send me contact details ( not sure how to do it privately on snowheads)
ski holidays
@KenX, Right. So, it's a personal choice as well.

For me, the off piste in Sauze - Sansicario is fun enough. Refugios are more important than shopping.
snow report
@lambert, Grand may not be very grand but last year the food was excellent and the location couldn't be better.
ski holidays
Serre Che is great all round ski resort and Briancon is a lovely town. The lift system isn't as great as othe large ski resorts in France but that's all part of the charm. There aren't two many places around with high altitude bowl skiing, low level tree skiing and charming towns to boot.
Some of the home runs have some quite steep sections so check them out before you plan your route home. I saw more carnage on the late runs home at Serre Che than anywhere else I've skied. To be fair though is was just after a warm spell with rain to 1700m and then a re-freeze. I think you'd be unlucky to get those conditions but it is always a danger in southerly, relatively low towns. It's easily avoided though by taking lifts both ways over the icey zone.
latest report
As having spent numerous weeks over the years and now seasons I know the skiing in Serre well, both off and on piste, though there is still a fair % off piste I would not claim to know.

I also have skied Via Lattea a lot over the years*, and especially the last couple of seasons when there was far better snow to be had than Serre!

*With the Serre lift pass you had five days in Via Lattea

I've done a fair number of days over there with guides as well as having some great off piste days there with just me the OH and mates. I should add that I'm referring to both Sestrierre and Claviere as well.

I'd say that the off piste is maybe actually better in that it does not get skied out so much as Serre. The trees are also on a par with Serre as well especially some of the runs on the Sans Sicario side, plus last season we left a van half way down from Sestriere and had a great last run of the day back down, and I now know of a few other options that I was sussing out in the summer.

Where resorts in the Via Latea have the edge over Serre is in the busy Feb / March holiday season, as I've said before I just can't understand why people go to France and not Italy.

And of course food n'drink is about 50% cheaper - though lift passes are only about 15% cheaper.

New Year will be manic both in Sauze and Serre and maybe busier in Italy especially being so close to Turin. Last New Years eve we stopped off en route from Tignes to Turin in Bardonechhia and it was rammed with people arriving by train from Turin, every train arriving were just massive crowds getting off.

Where I live in Serre 75% of the apartments are owned by Italians which must say something, but then 75% of them hardly ski rolling eyes

I'm really hacked off this year that when buying the season pass we no longer get the five or so free day passes to Via Lattea so I'm not too sure I'll be spending so much time over there Crying or Very sad

The positive is that there is a very small satellite station to Bardonecchia a friend I was cycling with in the summer was showing me and that is on the bucket list, and then of course there is the resort that can't be named down in the other valley from Sestriere but from what I've seen think I'd only chance going there in a 4x4.

If you look through the past blogs of last season you can get an idea of some of the conditions we skied across the border.

http://www.stylealtitude.com/april-ski-blog.html

http://www.stylealtitude.com/march-2015-blog.html

http://www.stylealtitude.com/february-blog-2105.html
ski holidays
@welshskier,
Good to know.thanks for confirmation.looking forward to good food and good skiing
Bring on the snow
snow conditions
@Weathercam,

You analysis was much appreciated by me. I shall try to venture over to SC at some point as I will be in the Via Lattea area from 13 December until 4 January....

I hope to be skiing, but should snow fail me in the early days, we'll be indulging ourselves in spa treatments and shopping, interspersed with snow dance.

I'll have a car, so I'll be mobile to snow chase, but hoping we paid our lack of early season snow dues last year, and this year shall be fruitfully rewarded in abundance... that said, this tropical weather does not bode well.

But, anything is possible!
snow report
@HeidiAmsterdam, I'm not too sure when I'll be heading out, if snow arrives early then could be around a similar date or even earlier!

Ciao

Oh and one another thing When pronouncing Oulx it's not Ouuuu but Oulckse if that makes sense rolling eyes
snow report
So you DO pronounce the X on the end! I've always wondered exactly how you pronounce it, I've only ever heard it as Sowzee Doo.

You learn something every day snowHead
snow report
@HoneyBunny, or is that Suzie does or suzie doesn't?
snow report
Our Piemontese neighbour pronounces it 'ultsz'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, 'ultsz' or 'Oulckse' but not Dooooooooooooooo

In the summer I did a couple of rides on the other side of the valley and this shot shows various options from the top of Sestriere down to the valley road and the tree runs down to Sansicario and beyond.

If you ski all the way down to the road then you'll have to hitch back to the van at Cesana.

Depending on the snow we either part up in Cesana or drive up to Sansicario - and it is SOOOOOOO quiet there !!

snow conditions
^stunning!

@Hells Bells, Very Happy
ski holidays
I'll be in Sansicario the 3rd week. My sister and family are joining us, including my 3 year old nephew. He isn't showing to be too adventurous, so wanted an apartment for him... but still think we would have been better off at Orso...but oh well. It's Christmas and family and skiing, so it's all good.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, by the way. Do you have a tip for a private transfer to Milanpense from Sansicario that is less than 400 EUR?
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam, have a look here http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/
snow conditions
@HeidiAmsterdam, think I'd investigate taking train from Oulx into Turin and then train / bus out to Malpensa which is where I presume you meant?

As I've only driven it once and it's a fecking long haul and traffic can be horrendous!

And 90% sure that the train that comes down from Paris stopping at Oulx goes on to Milan, as I think it's the Turin / Milan express?
snow report
@kesone1, Do post a report as always looking for good new year venue. Cervinia this year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy