Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry Options on a Budget

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone suggest a way to access off piste/ backcountry courses on a budget? New to off piste I want good instruction but would like to be in the mountains not in a resort. My only requirements are that the instructor speaks English, in Europe, that I have a bed, food (awkwardly I am vegetarian which can be a problem in some areas) and maybe a glass of wine with dinner. Lots of the ski companies offer great looking courses but I just wondered if anyone had any advice about less ski company commercial options? I don’t really care if the course is based in a tiny hamlet or mountain hut so long as the off piste is good. Any fellow snowhead's have a suggestion?

Oh, not to be difficult but I do not want to do UCPA…I have been a few times and enjoyed the experience but looking for something else.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you had a look at Glenmore Lodge- Scotlands Outdoor Sports Training Centre? They run a few trips to the Alps with their instructors as well as a few in Scotland. The trips look good and was very nearly tempted myself but didn't quite have the budget this year!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UCPA do off piste courses with all gear, ski pass and guides provided for a range of ability levels up to verging on godlike
Look at the ACTION OUTDOORS Web page. There are lots of reports on UCPA trips here if you do a search. My daughter found the vegetarian food OK and better than a lot of French places.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bigrobski, check out the Eagle Ski Club they have a busy schedule through the winter which includes a number of off piste coaching courses of varying budgets.
re 'in the mountains not in a resort' - the easiest way to learn to ski off piste is to do shed-loads of it, and that means using uplift as much as possible to start with to get the mileage in (though I can understand the small ski area thing as I am a massive fan, despite living next to the biggest area in the world...).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're running some backcountry ski courses this season, both a straight-up off-piste ski week and an "intro to ski touring" week. Based from a nice chalet in a quiet village, skiing at La Rosiere, Les Arcs and Sainte Foy (maybe Tignes/Val too) through the week. Price £795 which is pretty "budget" for an all-inclusive off-piste week!

Instructor is a native English speaker who grew-up in the valley and qualified via the French system. Best of both worlds.

www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_backcountry_ski_weeks.htm
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy