Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions decisions

Poster: A snowHead
Have decided to look for a real bargain basement trip for Christmas (week of the 19th to Boxing Day). Being on a serious budget means that some concessions have to be made, mostly in the quality of accommodation but also anywhere else that's possible. Being on my own doesn't make it that easy either, but there are still good deals to be had.

At the minute I've got maybe 3 options which are:

Alpe D'Huez - Can do for under £600 B&B but from the piste map it seems to be mostly above tree line, so any heavy cloud days could be a pain.
Soll/Ellmau - Similar kind of price but my worry is that the whole area is a bit low (base at 700m it seems, highest point still below 2000m). I know that Austria usually has a bit better snow but don't want to end up skiing in the rain!
Val D'Isere - With UCPA and a bit more expensive than the other options, for some reason I'm not that keen but suspect that it may be the best option as is a bit higher than the Austrian resorts but still has some trees to play in if it gets too snowy.

Sooooo, I'm opening it up to the wisdom of Snowheads and asking for a bit of advice, I've got no experience of any of them so if my assumptions above are completely wrong then I'm happy to be corrected.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't comment on Alpe d'Huez, but have been to both other locations. Soll/Ellmau big ski area with a huge a mount of snowmaking. I feel the runs are quite short here though and there isn't anything particularly challenging for anything other than intermidiots. Val will definitely have more "proper snow" and I've been here pre-xmas on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed (even on snow challenged seasons). Both Soll and Val are great for apres, but Ellmau is much more quaint.
The added advantage of the lower austrian resorts is that they are less rocky to start with, so need less snow to be skiable. In Val there needs to be a more decent covering in order to not trash your skis.
I'd say it kind of depends on what your standard is. If you are pretty experienced go for Val, if not Soll/Ellamu will be great too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnoodyMcFlude, have a look at Neilson - just found a week b&b in Sauze for £347, or zell am See half board for £541 and Pas de la Casa or Soldeu for around the same amount - all based on 1 person and from Gatwick.

If you are worried about snow conditions then leave it as late as possible to book as especially with Christmas Day being so close to the tour op transfer days this year i'd say there will be plenty of availability and good deals to be had even for a solo skier.

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/search-results
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just had a quick look at the Crystal website and they seem to have plenty good deals. How about Kaprun/Zell Am See. If the snow is poor but the weather good then the Kaprun glacier is excellent. If the snow is OK low down and the weather bad then the tree-lined pistes of Zell are ideal. Free ski bus between the two areas. If you don't mind spending a half hour in a bus then it gives you plenty variety. I did a week there and pretty much skied Zell and the glacier on alternate days.

Picked at random - Hotel Lebzelter in central Zell, a couple of minutes walk from the gondola, £625 half board in a single room.

In Austria Half Board doesn't cost much more than B&B and you get plenty food for your money.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd wait to book. Till the week before, probably.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Christmas week chalet spaces in Meribel and La Plagne from £499pp at Silverski.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Silverski would be a really great option. Definately on the lower end of the catered chalet market, but I've only ever heard great things.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only been with them once on a late season lads week - we were stacked like hamsters in a cage 3 in a room, but the food was good and the price was low.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lower villages of Paradiski are a better option if you want to tree lined skiing in bad weather. We've stayed in Les Coches several times for just that reason.

I've been in Espace Killy and ADH in poor weather and they are more limited IMO.

It's not always an issue mind. So you could take the risk. ADH is a nice place to ski and obv Val D too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christmas week, I'd wait (I am doing) as long as you dare. Late booking offers are only just appearing and they will increase in numbers and decrease in price as the weeks go by; Especially so if the snow is late coming.

If you wanted the following NY week it's a different matter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers all, think I'll try and not get too excited and hold out a bit then if it means the chance of a better deal. If I end up not going at all then it's not a huge issue...but would be nice to use the time off work to get some snow Very Happy

Have done La Plagne twice now so looking for something a bit different, but it does have great options depending on weather. Will have a look at the few suggestions later, although just to clarify my budget is probably about £650 for flights, transfers, accom, lift pass and a set of skis. Not heard of Silverski before, am I right in thinking that their prices include flights & transfers too? Like I say, budget is a bit tight as already on the MYAsH Bash and hoping to get a trip in April too. Appreciate that skiing isn't cheap, but otherwise it simply isn't viable.

I'm only a beginner/intermediate (comfortable on most reds but still learning to cope with the icier bits) so not a huge deal of experience, nor am I looking for masses of off piste powder snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
£650 with lift pass? I love a good deal but personally I would say for Xmas week you might struggle to get a pass in that budget. If you do let me know Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisrawles wrote:
£650 with lift pass? I love a good deal but personally I would say for Xmas week you might struggle to get a pass in that budget. If you do let me know Very Happy

Here you go. Christmas week in Morzine. http://www.alpineelements.co.uk/ski-holidays/morzine/hotel-ridge/pricing.html?mode=live&DepartureDate=20/12/2015&duration=7&DepartureAirport=0&Occupancy=2,0,0

£623 : Catered Chalet, flights, transfers, lift pass.

Or the one Atomic Mick posted earlier in the thread. Cheaper still.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisrawles wrote:

I wouldn't be posting if I hadn't found a deal that meets those criteria...in fact I've found 3 or 4. That's even with me going on my own from the 19th to the 26th, there are also some good 2 for 1 pass deals out there too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't rule out Soll or tyrol in general on account of altitude. If you are staying on piste they normally have everything open mid December, snowmaking is very good and that only needs a cold spell. Soll and the skiwelt area is great for red run progress. Last year was poor in general early on and Tyrol resorts generally opened earlier and more fully than Geneva area. The main issue with the altitude comes late in the season, late March onwards it can get seriously warm and slushy in the afternoon so they close round about the start of April when higher resorts run well into April/May

As .@FastCarver74, says the smooth grassy slopes in Austria are much easier to prepare if there is limited snow compared to rocky areas and there is generally a lower snow line the further North/East you go in the alps.

Another plus for Austria if you are on a budget is significantly lower prices for food/beer compared with France (I don't really know your options but true last year for Paradiski and Flaine). You can do cheap in France but only by self catering and stocking up at larger supermarkets as far as I can see.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, Silverski do include flights and transfers
ski holidays
Atomic_Mick wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, have a look at Neilson - just found a week b&b in Sauze for £347, or zell am See half board for £541 and Pas de la Casa or Soldeu for around the same amount - all based on 1 person and from Gatwick.

If you are worried about snow conditions then leave it as late as possible to book as especially with Christmas Day being so close to the tour op transfer days this year i'd say there will be plenty of availability and good deals to be had even for a solo skier.

http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/search-results

Sauze was an option that I'd looked at but had forgotten, certainly another good deal, £537 for everything except lunch, dinner and binge.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, I am currently eating my words Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
chrisrawles wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, I am currently eating my words Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Smile No worries. I think it's quite common, people naturally expect skiing to be expensive so don't trawl around for the dirt cheap stuff so aren't used to seeing it. Quite often it depends on how the weeks of the year fall too, as some weeks will be cheaper than others. We all know that half term and Easter are through the roof, but providing it doesn't fall on Easter (like this year) then the last week of March seems to be cheapskate week. The same goes for middle of January, although I have to admit that I didn't think Christmas would be too cheap, I think that the Saturday falling on Boxing Day helps a bit as makes it harder to sell.

A few years back me and two mates spent a week s/c in Belle Plagne for £460 each during the last week of March. We had to share a tiny little room, but considering we had flights, transfers, list pass, skis & boots it's a damn good deal. I managed to keep things reasonably cheap during the week too, I took armfuls of Belvita type things, porridge, my quota of duty free booze and I think £100. Things got a bit tight towards the end of the week but it still saw me through alright, with enough left over for a tacky mug. The downside was having to live like a student for a week, and not being able to do much apres, but tbh after skiing from 9 to 5 each day all I really wanted was a beer and to go to bed.
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, we did Soll last Christmas with Crystal in one of their B&B places. We actually paid very similar to your budget per person (all in, but 3 of us and with the meal upgrade they offer - although we felt like we were the kids on free school meals in some restaurants!).

The conditions were pretty poor, but they were in most places, we skied from Scheffau each day as there was no connection from Soll open to the rest of the area. We still had fun though, spending more time in the bar than we usually would on a decent snow week.
ski holidays
I'm staying in Bourg near the furnicular for Les Arcs... Could possibly take in a desperate lodger!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy