Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skin Trimming Tools

Poster: A snowHead
I am wanting to buy a G3 skin trimming tool but can't find one. Has anyone used the K2 tool, & any idea how it compares for ease of use (they appear to be available from Edge and Wax).

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A sharp blade run along the edge of the ski is quite effective.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IME the G3 tool is better than kitchen scissors, which are better than BD's tool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only ever had BD skins (I can't even consider the idea of skins with any less traction) but wit the three pairs I've had to trim, I've used the BD tool without any issues?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HammondR, I probably have a spare one somewhere if you get desperate, as I have had 3 sets of G3 skins, but sold one set and I cannot remember if the cutter went with the skins.

The K2 one looks similar to the G3, in that you mount the skin, and then cut both sides without moving the skin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@galpinos, I will be trimming BD skins, but the G3 tool seems idiot proof enough even for me.
@PowderAdict, I may be back to take you up on that. It seems to be a universally admired thing of some elegance. Just stick the skins on and cut.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BD tool works fine in my experience
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only ever trimmed skins once and it was with the K2 tool. Worked pretty good. The skins were a bit close to the right width in places which makes cutting more difficult, wider is better. Probably the same for the G3 tool.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The ultimate skin trimmer shoot out on Wildsnow https://www.wildsnow.com/4724/climbing-skin-cutters-review/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As @altis said,
Quote:

I've used both G3 and BD tools, but find it easiest to use a scalpel:

Fit your skin with overlap on both sides, and use a sharp scalpel to trim one side from above (press the ski down on a hard work/cutting surface)

Then refit the skin with the trimmed side 2 x edge-widths in from the edge of the ski and trim the other side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffers wrote:
As @altis said,
Quote:

I've used both G3 and BD tools, but find it easiest to use a scalpel:

Fit your skin with overlap on both sides, and use a sharp scalpel to trim one side from above (press the ski down on a hard work/cutting surface)

Then refit the skin with the trimmed side 2 x edge-widths in from the edge of the ski and trim the other side.

That's why I like the G3 one - no need to refit the skin to cut the other side. Just one slice down each side of the ski (compared to about six swipes and stopping to wipe the gunk of the BD tool, which always seems to be blunted by the time you start on the second side).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok so when i followed directions last year there was nothing about cutting 2 edge widths narrower than the ski.
What's that all about ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@essex, You need to keep your steel edges exposed. Using the scalpel method you cut one edge, then reposition the skin twice the width of the steel edge away from the ski edge, then cut the opposite edge. When you then centre the skin, both steel edges will just be exposed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok well thanks, there's a nice little project for me this weekend. Although i was using a tool that came with the skins not a scslpel so maybe already good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The custom skin cutters are designed with an offset blade to save you the 'effort' of moving the skin between cuts.

My preferred method is to stick the skin on centrally and then draw round the ski, onto the sticky side, with a sharp pen. Then I position the skin to one side using the line to judge how far away from the edge I want it. Then I cut off the line and repeat on the other side.

I always use a new blade for each skin as they seem to blunt very quickly and then start to shred the plush.
latest report
@HammondR, I've got a load of new Colltex cutters in my shop so you can have a couple when you collect your skis. They're excellent cutters & real easy to use, especially if you want to cut your skins wider than the offset G3 cutter which exposes a couple of mm of base each side in addition to the edge.
snow conditions
@spyderjon,
Awfully decent of you Jon. I look forward to my return visit.
snow report
Should have gone coltex, they come supplied with the cutter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy