Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar Alcohol Ban

Poster: A snowHead
This may have been mentioned before. I was checking their prohibited luggage items re abs airbags and discovered that all booze in now banned on the overnight snow train. Mad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sensible, by all accounts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah i'm sure they'll police that, last time i went through security and they asked how many bottles I had on me? I said 4 beers and a camel back of vodka and they laughed. They'll never go through peoples luggage.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having been overnight in Standard Premier, I can confirm that they have no issue with alcohol consumption, endless free little bottles of wine! Anyway, not really the point, certainly never had a bag checked in any class.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FIRSTOFTHEGIANTS, Now they're stopping the sale of alcohol it'll be intersting to see of they still offer the free wine. I've found drinking is the only way I can get to sleep on there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a shame, it's a long way to go without a beer!

Having said that, I took my son on the snow train last spring, and some of the behaviour displayed by intoxicated passengers was pretty poor - shouting and swearing all night, throwing up, vandalism, and a complete lack of respect for other passengers.

I wouldn't have gone back on the snow train without some kind of alcohol control, or at least a family carriage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As this is a new rule being applied, I would have thought there would be some sort of check.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eurostar staff ignore any rule if it suits them, in my experience.

Smoking in banned on the Paris Eurostar platforms, the staff know about this, but never bother to enforce the rule - and probably flout the rule themselves.

Of course, it's a strange rule, because smoking is allowed on every other platform in France, but so is banning alcohol consumption on the train a strange rule.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This has presumably come about because people were getting drunk on the train, not merely enjoying a glass of wine with their meal.

I was on a Eurostar train (Brussels to London) with my kids last year and when we went to the buffet late afternoon to buy a cup of tea etc there was a group of people so drunk they could barely stand up. It is even worse when you are on a plane with people in this state.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Probably MEP's
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@blahblahblah, Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Consumption of alcohol has been banned on all London tubes, buses and other transport since 2008 ...

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2008/may/alcohol-ban-comes-into-force-on-the-tube-trams-and-buses-from-this-sunday-1-june

... so I guess the only reason that uncontrolled drinking been allowed on Eurostar is because the experience is supposed to mimmick air travel, on which people seem to be regularly drunk and dangerous. Here's what happened to a Uber driver in California, at the hands of a drunk passenger. Build-up begins with driver turning camera on himself and passenger at 2:00, telling him he has to leave the car ...

http://youtube.com/v/xtJVbsHIj9o
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good Evening All,

We are on the snow train on Friday 5th.

Has anybody used it this year and if so has the bar really stopped selling beer? Also are people being checked or is it still possible to take a beer or two on?

Its a real shame if you can no longer start the holiday with an evening drink as you're whisked through France.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rhodesm wrote:
Good Evening All,

We are on the snow train on Friday 5th.

Has anybody used it this year and if so has the bar really stopped selling beer? Also are people being checked or is it still possible to take a beer or two on?

Its a real shame if you can no longer start the holiday with an evening drink as you're whisked through France.

I'll be interested to hear your report. It annoys me because I manage to get drunk and have a good time without causing any problems(except maybe for my skiing the next day Laughing )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Used the overnight train last Friday. No alcohol available in the bars. Small bottles of wine served with meals in Std Premier. I for one was very pleased that no alcohol was available; a group of 14 middle-aged guys joined the train at Ashford. They were quite loud when they got on and I feared that they may have got a lot louder had alcohol been available. As it was, my fears for a bad night were unfounded as they settled down just after midnight.
Conditions in 3v are excellent at present; lots of fresh show everywhere but it is bitterly cold especially on the tops. Contrary to normal, some good powder was to be found this morning between 1850 and 1550, so no need to freeze up on the mountain tops.
ski holidays
Brother went on the train last week (first class or whatever its called) and he had his bag searched, 1 bottle of red that was in there was removed and binned.

They gave him 1 small bottle of wine with his meal and very reluctantly another. But no way would they give him anymore. Buffet car was dry.
snow conditions
@JamesN, unfortunately seems like a few have spoilt it for the majority.
snow conditions
That's a real shame, I've used the train a few times. It has always been fun and the vast majority of people calm down by midnight which is fine given its a holiday!

I've seen and been annoyed by the few that take things a little too far but personally I think this is a real shame as a few beers helps you get off to sleep and really got you relaxed to start an 8 day ski trip.

Thanks for the replies guys
latest report
rhodesm wrote:
I think this is a real shame as a few beers helps you get off to sleep

Just makes me want to pee all night Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
@M535man, yeah, that Manchester-Euston route is notorious
snow report
Phew! Just checked - booze is only banned on the night train - day train is limited to 4 cans or 1 bottle of wine. A passable red I think for Easter...
snow report
Ah . . . makes one start reminiscing about the original Snow Train
(Strictly speaking this thread is about the Eurostar Ski Train)
There were no alcohol restrictions on the Snow Train, but with compartments you could party away and not cause as much disruption as on the open carriage Eurostar.

http://youtube.com/v/BqBWjhx-qPA

Alternatively you can split the journey in Paris:

http://youtube.com/v/mBOoEXL7H18
Again: no alcohol restriction, and you can go any day of the week.

Or, like Richard_Sideways, you can take the day train, but then you don't get the bonus of the extra Saturdays (which are also the quietest days on the slopes).
snow conditions
I think we should offer some form of protest against this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3287917/Battle-St-Pancras-Demonstrators-demanding-relaxation-borders-storm-London-Eurostar-terminal-clash-police-highlight-migrants-struggle.html
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Phew! Just checked - booze is only banned on the night train - day train is limited to 4 cans or 1 bottle of wine. A passable red I think for Easter...

Still not enough, I think I will drive this year.
snow report
@blahblahblah, Laughing
latest report
Hi all, just became a snow head on here!!!!
We usually drive so have never had this problem but decided to try the ski train this year. Do they scan your bags or do they just randomly search a few? I usually get all my hip flask booze before travelling and have it already so would like to try and sneek it through. Anyone have experience of this?
snow report
What happens if you are bringing a nice bottle of whisky as a present for someone to drink in the resort but NOT on the train. Would that be confiscated?
latest report
I'd expect any/all alcohol they find to be confiscated. Ignoring the fact they don't know you from Adam so don't know how honest you are/if you actually have a friend in the resort or just saying that to get your booze on the train can you imagin the arguments they would end up with if they let you take yours on? Suddenly everyone would have friends in the resort who liked to recieve presents of Jager/5l bottles of White Lightening/bottles of M&S wine/etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mcesar44,

Every bag gets x-rayed airport style.
latest report
San Pelligrino bottles filled with Bombay and Fever Tree snowHead
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
San Pelligrino bottles filled with Bombay and Fever Tree snowHead

seems to work for the Scottish rugby fans on the 'dry train' from Edinburgh a few weeks ago. I got on at Newcastle and they had definitely not been teetotal for the journey.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
San Pelligrino bottles filled with Bombay and Fever Tree

Only if you can somehow reseal the bottle so it looks as though it has never been opened. Very Happy
snow conditions
is there any update on this chaps? how well do they police the alcohol limits/ checking of bags ? thanks!
snow report
If you're travelling from the Ashford terminal the Xray checks are less stringent.
And there is a bar after the checks selling booze so you grab a couple of bottles of wine!!!
latest report
cool! Alfabug, I'm travelling from st pancras, how well do they check none alcohol bottles for its contents ?
snow report
If it's an original-sealed non-alcoholic bottle, they won't check it.

If it's anything not sealed, they will probably confiscate it. And I don't think they have a sink / drain to just dispose of the contents, so you lose the container as well - so think twice about filling a camelback or similar either, even if just with water.

Depending on queues, staffing levels etc they may have staff pointing at the policy as you queue for check-in. I have seen skiers give away bottles of spirits for free to people on the concourse, rather than give it up to security!
snow conditions
ok, thanks! I have got 2x soft drink bottles sealed so should be fine?!
ski holidays
you can buy 'fake' sealed screwtops on places such as ebay if it's really important to you to bypass security. I'm not from Syria by the way Cool
ski holidays
haha! does anyone know if they check the contents of bottles when they are sealed ?
snow conditions
You could try the baby-milk trick, you only have to taste the contents of the container.

NB: you may have to have a baby with you though!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy