Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marmolada v Piz Gloria

Poster: A snowHead
Last year we took my step daughter to the Marmolada Glacier. When she got to the top she could barely get out for shaking due to vertigo. She said she was getting palpitations. She obviously never enjoyed the ski down and just wanted to get to the bottom. Neither myself nor her mother had ever seen her react like this before as she has been on many mountains and many cable cars. It was very disconcerting for both of us.
This year we are all going to Wengen. I was planning a day to Murren, as none of us have been to Murren before and to have a drink/meal in the Piz Gloria. From the photos it looks amazing to me, but may be vertigo inducing to her. We wouldn't want to put her through that experience again.
So I was just wondering if anyone could advise/compare the vertigo-ness of both.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dode, I haven't been to Marmolada but at 3,270m perhaps she was actually getting early altitude sickness? Any glacier I've been on has been totally not vertigo inducing at all.

Schilthorn is lower at 2,970m. It's "just" like the top of any other mountain. I.e., it's a mountain Puzzled - some of the aspects are quite sheer.

And If she's nervous I wouldn't recommend the ski down from the Schilthorn. It's quite steep for the first couple of pitches - but fine thereafter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, she is a strong skier, so not worried about that aspect. I'm not sure what got into to her at the Marmolada. She was fine at the top of Saas Fee, so don't think it was the altitude. Perhaps it was the run of three cable cars to get to the top? I kept telling her she was standing on the ground and couldn't fall off the ground, but it had no effect. The viewing platform has quite a drop to one or two sides.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saas Fee tops out at 3,550m apparently so I'd agree not altitude related.

A one off?

She can always stop off at Birg and do a few runs without going all the way to the top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dode, I had a funny turn last year at the top of Hintertux and actually passed out in the Lifties hut at the bottom of the Olperer Lifts. It turned out to be a result of low blood sugar (I'd been working quite hard but had not eaten much) and was dehydrated (not drunk much as going down to the loos in the Tuxer Fernerhaus was a right royal PITA!). I was put on oxygen and given a sweetened drink (glucose powder I think). Then was taken down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus in a Piste Basher. The last bit was truly scary Toofy Grin

My ex-husband (an alcoholic) also passed out at the top of the Kitzsteinhorn due to dehydration - for once it was not the booze but the lack of in this case. I think we underestimate our hydration grossly and do not drink enough to replace the salts etc, we lose through sport. Throw in the alititude and it sets of a "vertigo" like situation.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dode, Here's a YouTube video someone took of the cable car route from Birg up to Piz Gloria (Schilthorn). How do you think she would react to this? Once the cable car has reached the top station you're inside a big building, so she should feel secure/re-assured, but would she be OK with the feeling of exposure with the views on the way up?

http://youtube.com/v/ZeXR-pG8B-o

As others have said, if she doesn't fancy that then she can stay at the lower station at Birg (where there's some nice blue runs) and meet up with you there after you come back down from the Schilthorn.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Part of the problem of Marmolada is also the fact that it's 1 vertical mile travelled in the 3 cable cars in a very short time.
I know I'm not the only one that can "feel" the altitude up there, particularly on that very first pitch which is not exactly difficult.
Surprisingly, I've never been up Piz Gloria, so can't compare.
Only place I've witnessed vertigo was the gondola out of Mayrhofen - only 1 pylon between the 2 stations, and that makes it go round a very slight bend iirc. I think it would have been more wise if that person used the Horberg gondola instead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, thanks for that, will show her the vid next time she is home and see what she says. It looks fab to me Very Happy I am always amazed at how man can build structures such as this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy, I am thinking it was the chain of cable cars. She went very quiet on the last leg.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rather an overlong holiday vid but gives better idea of what the Schilthorn restaurant is like
http://youtube.com/v/huBmdpl9Tyg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dode, I think andy may have a good point concerning the sequence of 3 cable cars in a very short time on the Marmolada. When you go to Murren it might be a good idea to firstly take the cable car up to Birg, get out there and have a bit of a ski on the nice blue runs there to chill out and relax before taking the final cable car from Birg up to the Schilthorn. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, I was getting vertigo from all that wobbly zooming on that video! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I struggle somewhat with vertigo - even when I am on the sofa at home and the movie does the 'over the top off the tower block shot' the I get nervous. After 10 years skiing I'm ok now on most chairlifts / gondolas etc.

I also not overly fond of the top of the marmalado the views are terrific but I struggle to get right to the edge of the barrier, and prefer to keep a few feet inside it. Not a huge fan of the run down either but I don't thinks that's related...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The first lift up from the valley floor is quite spectacular and *may* give her a problem, but after that it is not too bad on the way up to the Schilthorn. Lovely views and well worth doing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dode, did you go up all those stairs to the viewing platform at Marmoloda?

If so, perhaps that was the final nail in the vertiginous coffin?
snow report
@red 27, her mum and I did. She never. By then the coffin was as good as nailed shut.
ski holidays
I felt very breathless at the top of the Marmolada lift. It's the first time I'd felt it on any lift. Could it be the rate of ascent? The lift does start relatively low and gains a lot of altitude very very quickly. There aren't many other lifts in the world that start so low, and go so high in one hit, so quickly.
ski holidays
I too think it's the rate of ascent, as on my last ski trip I too was a bit out of breath and my feet seemed to swell up in my boots making it difficult to ski down at my normal speed as I kept having to stop to ease the pain. It didn'thappen again on that trip around the rest of the area or elsewhere that I have been equally as high.
latest report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Could it be the rate of ascent?

I doubt it. Acclimatisation takes days not minutes.
snow report
@daveqpr, I had the feet swelling sensation at top of Saas Fee, admittedly it was my first week in new boots, but the pain was piercing at the top Tbars.
@under a new name, will MAYBE show her that link but as @Alastair Pink, says the zoom might work in the negative for her Very Happy
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Could it be the rate of ascent?

I doubt it. Acclimatisation takes days not minutes.

I think you may be confused here. Acclimatisation is yout body taking time to adjust to the reduced oxygen levels. Hence a quick decrease, such as a rapid rise in altitude is likely to affect the body.
latest report
Really sorry to hear about your experience. I lead groups on our Dolomites Ski Safari and have skied Marmolada many, many times.

We always pre-brief about the altitude on this run, although we have never yet experienced an issue with it. You don't mention your daughters age but I get the sense that she is older (adult?) rather than younger?

To what extent have you explored/discussed the experience with her following the experience?

I am a qualified hang gliding instructor and with this experience in mind and making a judgment with only your brief description as the basis, its difficult to determine whether her experience was a purely physical reaction or did she feel that there was some specific element of the experience - packed cable car/the three cable cars/views at the top/the ladder climb down to the piste - that may have triggered this?

You should attempt to determine to what extent was the experience a physical, involuntary reaction or was it triggered as an emotional response?

Certainly, do sit and talk to her. Don't try to tell her, but do share with her your experience of what you saw of her behavior. Ask her to relive the experience in the safety and comfort of your living room.

You certainly need to get a clearer view on this. A repeat on another mountain with a more difficult piste might be a more difficult situation.

Good luck! Tim
snow report
@InspiredItaly,
Quote:

I get the sense that she is older (adult?) rather than younger?

Yep, she is 26.
We have talked about it and she isn't that sure herself what triggered her reaction on Marmolada. She is home this weekend so will show her the vid of the cable car ride above. She has said on the phone that she reckons she will be fine with it. I was just a bit concerned as none of us have been to Piz Gloria and from what I can make out it does look like it's perched on the peak surrounded by big drops.

Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum.
snow conditions
Quote:

perched on the peak surrounded by big drops

You mean, on a mountain? Yes, it is, it is..
latest report
looking back there are quite a few factors that could affect people on the Marmolada lift:

It's quite exciting - a great spectacle from below. It gets the adrenalin flowing, the heart pumping and mind whizzing before you get on

It's crowded - very. Shoe in the back to get everyone on type lift

You have to get off and walk around to change betweeen the lifts - it's all a bit frenetic and you don't want to be one of the last ones shoed in to the next lift.

When you get to the top there are some stairs to get up to the viewing platform. It was rushing up these that really left me breathless.

It's a fair bit higher than most other lifts in the area - If you've been at resorts on the Ronda then most of the skiing is not that high

Most resorts in the areas below 1500 metres, some well below so it's not as if you're sleeping at high altitude and acclimatising

It is a rapid ascent. I don't know what the inclination is but it's pretty steep

Mentally it's not the ethos of what you've been skiing all week. It's all a bit more French than typical relaxed Dolomite skiing. Cram 'em in on the way up and then a motorway on the way down. Gatwick entry to departure on snow.

Even at the top Although stunning, it's so high and far back from the main Dolomites the view is not typically Dolomite like (Towering cliffs looming at you)

That said - It's a great experience. But, during a week in Arabba, I only did it once. We then took the bus to Alleghe and skied the Great War Ring. The Marmolada excursion kind of faded in the memory compared to how stunning the rest of the day was.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy