Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French speed cameras are the best!

Poster: A snowHead
So yesterday I nipped along to the local ski club sale and had a browse around the wonderful bargains to be had, looking particularly for some skis for my daughter. No luck finding any but saw a wonderful Armada ski jacket and trousers for the bargain price of €120!!!! Nipped back home and my wonderful wife told me I should treat myself so gladly returned in the afternoon to purchase said bargain.

Later in the afternoon said super wife then confessed to having been flashed by a speed camera on the autoroute the day before and hoped I wouldn't be annoyed, what a way to ensure no mocking or lecture about speeding!!!! I did whatever any good husband would do....... I gave her the keys to the faster of our cars and told her to go out for a drive for a few hours as I still need some boots, some bindings, and maybe a couple of hats!!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pumba, I take it you haven't discovered the wife's secret shoe cupboard yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just live in fear that one day she will venture into my workshop!!!!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bonus......... Second Avis de contravention (speeding fine) arrived today, so hoping the guilt will kick in and off shopping I shall go!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few years ago in France my sister commented to me how impressed she was that the motorways had wifi hotspots.......until I explained those signs were warnings of speed cameras!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did wonder what those signs meant, and then kept getting flashed Very Happy . Damn things are well hidden unlike UK. Was a couple of years back now and never heard a thing, though I understand there's now an agreement with UK to send the fines.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@deadkenny, They don't chase brits yet as we did not sign up to the EU agreement. However we are going too soon !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had one gantry flash my reg (incorrectly) up next to 'trop vite' in august. To be fair i was exceeding the posted kmh speed in mph.... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got caught going through MB tunnel last year, cos you have to stay 150m behind the car ahead, I broke that prescribed gap and got pulled in and fined I think 150 yoyos, which I had to hand over in cash. No credit cards, a receipt had to be requested and was begrudgingly given. Dodgy!!

P.s. I have pretty fluent French, granted I had been driving through the alps for a good few hours so iw was probably quite tired but it wasn't particularly obvious the gap you had to leave to the car ahead. Attention!!! Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I did wonder what those signs meant, and then kept getting flashed . Damn things are well hidden unlike UK.

Until recently all French motorway cameras were preceded by one of those warning signs. If there was a warning sign it was almost invariably followed quite shortly after by a camera. Quite easy to spot really. Loads of people going along in excess of the speed limit who slow down as soon as they see the sign, they watch to spot the camera, pass it and then accelerate back to the speed they were going. Usually ok but I have seen one bit of motorway where a second camera followed on quite shortly after, unfortunately I don't remember where.
Their system has changed so they no longer have to give warning signs.
Quote:

Had one gantry flash my reg (incorrectly) up next to 'trop vite' in august. To be fair i was exceeding the posted kmh speed in h....

Snap
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@horgand, the opposite happened to me. I was trying to maintain the gap as required between me and the BMW ahead and the police pulled me over and pointed out I was going nearly 200kmph. I still feel hard done by.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've heard they love to spot Brits breaking the law and demand cash, and that you should have sufficient cash for fines. Do they drag you to the nearest cash point if you don't have the cash?

I use the toll tag stuff to ensure I've got plenty of cash on me just in case of this rather than handing it over in toll booths and not having enough to pay a cop. Aside from it being much easier sailing through the tolls.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Do they drag you to the nearest cash point if you don't have the cash?

Been known to happen.

A friend's brother, who shall remain nameless, was in Eastern Europe somewhere (I'm not telling) out in the hinterland. He had consumed a little more than he should and was pulled over, breathalysed and failed. Having no cash the police drove him to the nearest cashpoint, took their contribution and drove him back, still over refreshed to his car and sent him merrily on his way... Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Do they drag you to the nearest cash point if you don't have the cash?

They do drag you to a cash point but not necessarily the closest, the only time I've been pulled they took me about half an hour off the motor way during which time we passed by 2 service stations which no doubt had cash points in them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
horgand wrote:
... but it wasn't particularly obvious the gap you had to leave to the car ahead.

There are blue lights at the side of all the tunnels that show the gap required.
snow report
rjs wrote:
horgand wrote:
... but it wasn't particularly obvious the gap you had to leave to the car ahead.

There are blue lights at the side of all the tunnels that show the gap required.

Yes, I know that now, but I'm just saying it wasn't particularly obvious to me at the time (I had been driving the alps for more than 4 hours & was quite tired so may have missed the signs). I was posting mainly to heighten people's awareness for this offence cos its a bummer.
latest report
Can't remember which motorway I was on in France but it was displaying the registration of cars speeding - great way of keeping kids amused. Make the most of it until EU stasi share fines across the channel NehNeh
latest report
If you find yourself more than a certain amount over the speed limit ( someone will know how much, but about 30 mph ) in a 30kph limit, your licence will be taken for , I think, 3 months; this happened to a friend on a motorbike in central France; when he asked how he should get home, they shrugged and told him to get a taxi......he waited a while, and rode off sans licence!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy