Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uk indoor snow centre. Should recreational skiers skiing through lots of lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seems to me it's the skiers who are causing the problems. When I was up at Hemel a few weeks ago there was a whole pack of them gibbering about the place like lost lambs, milling about at the bottom, whinging and moaning and stopping every few runs to go swap their skis over. Bleedin' menaces the lot of 'em... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Seems to me it's the skiers who are causing the problems. When I was up at Hemel a few weeks ago there was a whole pack of them gibbering about the place like lost lambs, milling about at the bottom, whinging and moaning and stopping every few runs to go swap their skis over. Bleedin' menaces the lot of 'em... Toofy Grin

Probably just whinging and moaning about the slowboarders taking an aeon to strap in at the top and then unable to navigate on the flat to the lift wink

For the record I did not whinge or moan - just the odd boarder making a slow shuffle round the fence might have been surprised by my slingshotting round them.n
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, perhaps you have issues slowing down and looking ahead if you are having to take rapid avoiding action like that... perhaps some lessons will help.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Personaly i dont see the problem.

The guy had a shite time, as most people do on skis if they are crowded out by ski school groups.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'But commercially, they'd be nuts to ignore or annoy the vast majority of zero-experience beginners in favour of a few old people who find anything above walking speed scary. If you see what I mean. I'm saying... that you can see why they will want to fill their slopes with people whose money is as good as mine but who need significantly less slope space to have a blast. Those guys may be dangerous, but they're good business.'
I agree, without the beginners, ski lessons, private tuition, etc, these places would be uneconomic. Yes they get crowded, but then so does every piste in Europe at half term! Seems basic common sense that you ski/board in a responsible fashion to take into account other muppets who my be on the slope. However, that's not to say the management of these places cannot be improved.
In my short time on mountains I have witnessed more muppets on skis than on boards, possibly because there just are fewer boarders on the slopes. Don't get me started on Parisian youngsters on skis! Try ale Mont Dore at New Year, gives a whole new meaning to death slides.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Yes they get crowded, but then so does every piste in Europe at half term!

No they don't - you are just going to the wrong places.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cameronphillips2000,

NO ! Instructor should have lessons queuing across the slope in a fridge it is highly dangerous and totally incompetent of said instructor. I would have had a word with the instructor quietly re safety if that did not work it would then have been loud enough for the class to hear and how said instructor is endangering them !

Always have a quiet word first.

@Spike107,

I have had this out with CFe a few times re the price hike. I have tried my best to show how these increases are not sound business for keeping those who come in the summer as repeat customers. But CFe do not listen.

Other than my free pass from the ski show I will probably not be down again till at least April. They advertise how cheap a monthly is and how many hours you can do yet will not consider more limited monthly passes for those who hate the crowds but just want a few hours a week to tick over and not loose any ski fitness. I have suggested split monthly passes ie a daytime one evening and a weekend which when added up with a special early morning one would add up to about £260 so would make a full monthly look cheap at £150 yet for those going down only in the day they need only pay £60 those in the evening £80, weekend £80 and morning would be £40 with possibly a couple of extra hours daytime use a month.

It is a shame they do not listen as these could be available only to those who have purchased either 2 or 3 monthly passes during the summer thus encouraging more to ski year round.

Any monkey can make money there in winter but it takes a good manager to make money in the summer. unfortunately CFe lacks good management.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speed098 wrote:
@cameronphillips2000,

NO ! Instructor should have lessons queuing across the slope in a fridge it is highly dangerous and totally incompetent of said instructor. I would have had a word with the instructor quietly re safety if that did not work it would then have been loud enough for the class to hear and how said instructor is endangering them !

Always have a quiet word first.

@Spike107,

I have had this out with CFe a few times re the price hike I have tried my best to show how these increases are not sound business for keeping those who come in the summer as repeat customers. But CFe do not listen.

Other than my free pass from the ski show I will probably not be down again till at least April. They advertise how cheap a monthly is and how many hours you can do yet will not consider more limited monthly passes for those who hate the crowds but just want a few hours a week to tick over and not loose any ski fitness. I have suggested split monthly passes ie a daytime one evening and a weekend which when added up with a special early morning one would add up to about £260 so would make a full monthly look cheap at £150 yet for those going down only in the day they need only pay £60 those in the evening £80, weekend £80 and morning would be £40 with possibly a couple of extra hours daytime use a month.

It is a shame they do not listen as these could be available only to those who have purchased either 2 or 3 monthly passes during the summer thus encouraging more to ski year round.

Any monkey can make money there in winter but it takes a good manager to make money in the summer. unfortunately CFe lacks good management.

Yeah I agree... I have renewed my monthly pass for the last 5 months but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay £105 for December... I nearly didn't bother with November but succumbed in the end Smile It's a shame like you say as you tend to see the same faces during the summer months as well when it's quiet... I reckon they could easily see on their system who attends regularly over the course of the year to give them more of an incentive to keep coming back during the price hikes of winter but they obviously don't need to.... or want to which is more likely!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not worth it in December no matter what, just way too busy so as you are a member maybe worth the £105 in Jan rather than the £150 I would have to pay. But again this is part of the reason I do not become a member it is to expensive and way too busy in winter. I would ski about 20% of what I ski in the summer yet be paying at least double if not 3 times as much.

Called down today and main slope was pretty quiet so honestly no reason they could not offer more pass options. It is just extremely short sighted of the management . I accept in Dec this may not be as economically viable and also for the two weeks to cover the Feb half term so these could be different ie no option in Dec and only two weeks available in Feb and price reflects this.

Oh and yes agree there is a good group of regulars during the summer it is almost as much a social thing as it is about skiing. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At least they do monthly passes. I ski at MK and Snozone don't even have a monthly pass option, even with 25% off if you have their membership it still works out expensive if you like to go regularly. They trialled the monthly pass in the summer but then stopped it again despite it being very popular. Tellingly the majority of people you saw coming when they ran the passes haven't been seen again since. Passes make good sense for everyone, guaranteed money for the dome, potential savings and easier to budget for the customer. The fact is that I still spend the same amount in the summer as in the winter, their prices go up, my visits go down, so they get no more money from me just because it's peak season in fact less visits means less money spent at the bar as I usually have something to eat if I go after work.

With regards to the OP, that is just poor lesson management by the instructor. Of course you're going to get the 'ski school snake' when you have a group following one after another but there is no way that they should ever be lined up across the slope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, Interesting stereotyping of old people. I ski every week with some of your 'old skiers' and at 58 I guess I'm one myself though the youngest in our group. Ironically, at even moderately busy times most of us wait patiently at the top for the slope to empty a little of younger skiers as we ski so much faster and I might add more skilfully than most of them and don't want to intimidate them or indeed to modify our own speed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So went to Chill Fac last night after work and was pretty quiet which I was surprised at... managed numerous runs utilising the whole slope and was able to keep momentum going to rejoin the lifts without "polling" a lot... if I can do that I'm generally happy Smile
Only after an hour or so did it start getting a little busy with learners and dare I say it.... boarders which slowed the process Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While it doesn't affect how busy it gets, I have to commend Chill Factore on the quality of the snow at the moment. They stripped and replaced it during the Summer. It had been getting progressively worse but since the change, the consistency has improved and while inevitably it gets worn during the day, the surface breaks up less readily.

On another point, last Monday the piste machine had broken and the slope had not been touched from a busy Sunday. The chopped and slightly frozen snow was so much fun to ski that I asked one of the managers if it could be a regular feature. It would certainly improve some visitors' techniques.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy