Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uk indoor snow centre. Should recreational skiers skiing through lots of lessons

Poster: A snowHead
I took my family to an indoor ski centre last week. As we got ready I noticed it getting rather busy and thought it would be crowded. About five minutes before we were going to to be let on, lots of people were rounded up in to lessons.

I was rather shocked by this - there was going to be a lot of lessons and recreational skiing in such a small space.

When we got on the slope the instructors -there we lots of them - were lining their students across the slope, rather than down it -taking up about 75% of the width of the slope.

So basically my recreation ski consisted of skiing a small bit of slope and doing a couple of turns and then practically having to stop to get past a lesson. Then repeating this three of four times until I reached the botttom.

I thought this was probably quite dangerous and felt rather short changed as I'd paid over fifty quid for daughter and myslef to practice our skiing for an hour but spent the hour negotiating lots of ski classes.

I understand they ave to get in revenue but how many lessons can you have on one slope at one time? Should theere be a limit before you stop recreational skiing? If you are having recreatioan skiing is it really fair to close of 75% of the width of the slope with lesson queues at various stages across the slope?

Is this usual for an indoor slope?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just ski their lines. Any indoor slope between October and Xmas is a total gongshow. You basically can't have a plan per run but just have to react to what's in front if you on any lap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tried an indoor snow dome once but found the whole atmosphere and experience to be the complete opposite of skiing in the mountains that I wouldn't do it again. For me, they are completely dire things.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would ask for my money back. I do avoid those places at this time of year as they're so crowded and badly policed. It's probably safer when like you describe as you won't get the straight-lining kids quite so much... and the queue at the bottom right where they're headed...

They should refund you though: they can fight you, but that's no way to get repeat business. They should have warned you when you bought the ticket.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have asked for my money back. I'll let you know how they respond. Interestingly, when I complained, the staff agreed with me and gave me the email of a person to write to and ask for a refund. No doubt he's under pressure from guys in grey suits, with spreadsheets making sure he maximises revenue. However, I won't return if I think I'm going to get charged the same amount for a similar experience.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Inevitably these places are busy at this time of year but the practice of lining up across the slope is dangerous and smacks of poor organisation and inexperienced instruction. I witnessed a similar thing a couple of weeks ago at my local indoor slope. There is a bit of a free for all approach at times when these places are busy and I endeavour to avoid them at such times but I can't agree that they are somehow contrary to the skiing experience for most of the year. They're great places to go and work on your technique and there is usually a very friendly crowd, certainly at my slope.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm I'd put money on it you're talking about Tamworth, it's the worst of the lot for it. When I learnt there many years ago beginner lessons were done on the small second slope they've got but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore so as you say you can have 3 or 4 different lessons going on at once plus your people who've paid to have a recreational session. The newer slopes do seem to have addressed the issue by having seperate learner slopes to the side to the main slope so I'd say give Tamworth a miss and head to Chill (you can get better deals on lift passes as well).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have received a response from their management offering a credit note and asking me to go again to try the experience. He also gave numbers of how many were on the slope when I was there and their capacity. It was well below. My issue wasn't with numbers on the slope it was the number of beginners and how they were organised.

That said, it was half term so every activity centre is going to be busy. I'll take them up on their offer of a credit not and give it another go sometime when I'm in the area.

I won't name the ski centre as I don't want to give poor feedback on a business after one visit, at half term. I've emailed back suggested lining up people vartically down the slope, rather than across it. I guess this takes a bit of side slipping skill, which early beginner skiers may not have. Another option would be to maybe only use half of the width of the slope and cone it off or something. I'm no instructor so I don't know the best way of doing these things. No doubt, BASI has guidelines, scrutinised by insurance companies.

I wasn't expecting a glorious, sunny alpine descent on fresh snow but just the opportunity to ski top to bottom at a reasonable speed and able to get some nice sweeping turns in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sounds, @cameronphillips2000, like they are being pretty reasonable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
sounds, @cameronphillips2000, like they are being pretty reasonable.

Yes, I think they are. To be honest, it's unlikely I'll get there before it expires. I do rather hope they look at their current policyand ensure recreational skiers have adequate room to enjoy their skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They won't as they make the most money of lessons and tobogganing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to MK x 2 this week with my nephew as we are taking him in Feb. Separate slope for all those having lessons so no mixing at all.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a business: you have to do what works. Personally I ring them up and ask when they're empty, and that's the time I go. And even then, I'm concious that their rates are significantly more expensive per vertical meter than helicopter snowboarding, so it's not something I'll do voluntarily. Plastic slopes are different and attract a different clientèle. Elitist? Absolutely, this is my sport, I've no time for people tobogganing on my snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Is this usual for an indoor slope?

Overcrowding, yes. I can't say I've been especially bothered by lessons, possibly because beginners are on their own slope, but I won't go any more weekends or school holidays in the ski season.

They are an expensive asset. Naive to think they won't do all possible to pack in the punters.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personaly i dont see the problem. Snowdomes have to make money and lessons are the biggest income for them.

You just have to time when you go.

At CFe just ring and ask how many lessons and people they have booked on before you go. If theres less than 50 (their capacity is 210) then youll be fine. At tamworth aim for a 2pm start midweek or 8pm start any day -as thats just after theyve groomed the slope and its very quiet even in the winter.
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Personaly i dont see the problem. Snowdomes have to make money and lessons are the biggest income for them.

You just have to time when you go.

At CFe just ring and ask how many lessons and people they have booked on before you go. If theres less than 50 (their capacity is 210) then youll be fine. At tamworth aim for a 2pm start midweek or 8pm start any day -as thats just after theyve groomed the slope and its very quiet even in the winter.

I've no problems with lessons. I just think taking 55 quid off someone for on adult and one child to ski for a one hour and then packing the slope with lessons across the slope is not a good long term business strategy. We run two businesses and we often have to balance maximising revenue and profit with quality customer experience. If you get greedy, your product qualiity inevitably drops and people don't come back. You can charge good money and make a decent profit from a decent product. You can also invest in marketing a perceived 'good product', charge good money and make a profit from it - but if it's a poor product it's going to be unsustainable as long term marketing is organic.
snow report
As said above, snow domes from now until Jan/Feb are going to be crazy busy. Its just a fact that to stay in business they need to make money in these times to be able to stay open in quiet times like summer.....I have been the only rider on the slope on a Monday morning in August.....got to say it was a bit of a soulless experience though.

I get your point that it wasn't just the number of people on the slope, it was the organisation and how they handled the people. Over the years of riding indoors, for me it's just a case of accepting how it is and making the best of at least being able to ride real (well almost) snow in the UK any time of year.....I remember the times before fridges. I have sent countless emails had countless telephone calls and had many meetings with management about how the domes are run on things like: lift lines, lifts in operation, lessons, the list goes on and things just stay the same....so.

I started to enjoy the indoor slopes much more when I accepted the fact that, It's not the mountains, It's small, there are going to be lots of people there who are learning (we all had to learn at some point) and going to get in the way, some people are going to be idiots but most are great and we are all there to get some turns in until we can get back to the mountains.

At least they offered you a credit note so they are trying to do the right thing and hopefully if / when you go back, you and your family will have a great time.

Good luck and enjoy.
snow conditions
Quote:

No doubt, BASI has guidelines, scrutinised by insurance companies

Really? That would be terribly adult and joined up (and, I suspect, unlikely).
ski holidays
Hmm,I'm heading to MK Snowzone Wednesday evening for a warm up session, never been here before, so will see what its like. never had any problems at Manchester, although Tamworth being the oldest has its issues with layout.
latest report
why is this in off piste? I'd have thought this was the least off piste topic imaginable? Very Happy
ski holidays
Was at Hemel yesterday -- was not busy at all...
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Just ski their lines.

Free follow the snake lessons.
Any indoor slope between October and Xmas is a total gongshow.

Sounds a bit like any day at St Anton or Alpe D'Huez in the ski season.
You basically can't have a plan per run but just have to react to what's in front if you on any lap.

Kind of like skiing off piste which I suppose is why the OP posted the review of skiing in a snowdome in this forum Toofy Grin
snow report
I've been taking advantage of the unlimited liftpass offers at chillfactor over the summer...It's bee nice to have a nice quiet slopes during this period. This month was the first substantial hike fees which I've done again but they want £150 for December (£105 for members) which is not worth the hassle given how busy it will be. Might just pay for the odd hour or 2 instead if I fancy it
snow conditions
I did 3 hours last night at Snowzone Milton Keynes between 7 and 10pm. Not all that busy, there were couple of groups doing school, they had a jumps, rail and slide area on the left hand run set up where most of the boarders were. No long queues to get up, although the left hand Poma kept on stopping every 5 minutes or so which was frustrating as the 'technician' leisurely made his way over to flick the trip switch.

What I found disappointing was the general lack of customer care, the instructors were all helpful and jovial, but the 'management' didn't appear to give a toss about the uplift runs at all. Spent every uplift dragging snow back onto the track so my board actually glided up, rather than being forced uphill against a very sticky and rough underfelt type carpet. All it needed was a few shovels of snow on the run regularly. Less friction means less drag and less current being drawn by the motor powering the Poma. Not rocket science, but no matter who I spoke to, no one cared. This isn't the case at Manchester where they do actually top up the uplifts.

They also only run the groomer up the slope at the end of each day, so it gets a bit compacted and icey by evening, unlike Tamworth who do it 3 times a day to keep the slope in good shape(although their 'snow' is more like fine sugar). Although Manchester is furthest away, it's the best I've been to so far.
latest report
Recap, went to Chillfactore last night after work and it was a hellish experience. My own fault for not checking the website first as I forgot it was a "freestyle" weekend this week so half of the piste was closed off. rolling eyes To top that off, they were only running 1 drag lift for a time meaning people were queuing off the main slope for the lifts! Evil or Very Mad
They eventually fired up the second lift which eased the pressure a little. Still didn't stop instructors from conducting snowplow lessons on half a slope from the top though... there was some pretty close "wipeout" moments watching some people bombing down from the top.

Deffo giving December a wide berth if this is how it's going to be from now on...
snow report

I thought this was probably quite dangerous

. . it definitely is - and made even worse when their lessons are complete and they are let loose to practice!

My last visit to a certain Midlands slope in May this year - an hour in and a snowboarder who had just completed his lesson carved straight into me near the bottom of the run - what was a fairly innocuous collision resulted in me tearing my calf for the first time; it took 3-4 months to heal and my affected achillies tendon is still sore every morning . . .Sad

I believe they should keep lessons within core periods and then clear the slopes completely for the recreational sessions (ie. never mix the two) - they also need to review the 'levels' for these sessions IMHO, as half of the individuals who sign the 'I can turn and stop effectively' forms are clearly telling porkies . . .

Oh . . .and ban all snowboarders with less that 12weeks experience . . . Cool
snow report
Belch wrote:

I thought this was probably quite dangerous

Oh . . .and ban all snowboarders . . . Cool
FIFY Happy
ski holidays
Belch wrote:
...... half of the individuals who sign the 'I can turn and stop effectively' forms are clearly telling porkies . . .

Oh . . .and ban all snowboarders with less that 12weeks experience . . . Cool
I vaguely thought that those places were where people went to gain experience. Slopes that small are hardly useful for much else. Snobbery over expertise on an indoor slope... that's starting to sound a bit lame.

They need to police those places better. If you can't ride safely they should just kick you off without refund. It's negligent not to do that.

Personally I think anyone who rides (skis or snowboard) worse than me should be banned as you all get in the way. This may be an ironic statement intended to outline the difficulty with policies which focus on others' ability rather than their safety.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
why is this in off piste? I'd have thought this was the least off piste topic imaginable? Very Happy

To be fair, a snowdome is quite a long way off the piste that I normally ski... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
philwig wrote:

Personally I think anyone who rides (skis or snowboard) worse than me should be banned as you all get in the way.

My sentiment exactly, so if you'd kindly move over....... Happy
snow conditions
. . .LOL . . .no snobbery on my part I assure you - just common sense - you tear your calf and see how amusing it is . . . .

[quote]They need to police those places better. If you can't ride safely they should just kick you off without refund. It's negligent not to do that. [quote]

Totally agree with you re the Policing bit - its a tight space that needs careful management, unfortunately the majority of staff are dissaffected teenagers with baggy pants, daft woolly hats and eyes that are glazed over most of the time . . . .for the price I'd at least expect staff that are awake
ski holidays
From my experience, CFe is well policed. Was there a bit ago and a couple of lads turned up carrying boards, blatantly didn't have a clue what to do (trying to put them on without opening the bindings, boots not even done up amongst other things). I said something to one of the instructors who told me they'd already been clocked, but they had to give them a chance. Sure enough they were asked to leave the slope after their first attempt at going down the lower slope (had taken them the best part of 15 mins to get there) which involved some vary painful looking edge catches and slams. Fair play to the lads tho, they went happily and I spotted one of them in a beginner lesson a week or so later.
ski holidays
[quote="Belch"]. . .LOL . . .no snobbery on my part I assure you - just common sense - you tear your calf and see how amusing it is . . . .

[quote]They need to police those places better. If you can't ride safely they should just kick you off without refund. It's negligent not to do that.
Quote:

Totally agree with you re the Policing bit - its a tight space that needs careful management, unfortunately the majority of staff are dissaffected teenagers with baggy pants, daft woolly hats and eyes that are glazed over most of the time . . . .for the price I'd at least expect staff that are awake

Damn you should try on the the pisteurs in Dubai, that and the general level of ski ability it's like navigating your way through a multiple car motorway pile up, quite exciting really, safe no.
latest report
Spike107 wrote:
Recap, went to Chillfactore last night after work and it was a hellish experience. My own fault for not checking the website first as I forgot it was a "freestyle" weekend this week so half of the piste was closed off. rolling eyes To top that off, they were only running 1 drag lift for a time meaning people were queuing off the main slope for the lifts! Evil or Very Mad
They eventually fired up the second lift which eased the pressure a little. Still didn't stop instructors from conducting snowplow lessons on half a slope from the top though... there was some pretty close "wipeout" moments watching some people bombing down from the top.

Deffo giving December a wide berth if this is how it's going to be from now on...

I went there tonight, and a totally different experience from you - yes half the slope was set aside for freestyle, but both lifts running at all time, and not that busy, so barely had to queue at all. A few private lessons going on, and maybe one group on the main slope, but nothing that got in the way - I got plenty of unimpeded runs in. This was 7.30pm - sometime after 9pm.

I have seen is crazily busy once or twice though, and it's not pleasant...
snow report
. . I usually do the late sessions ie. 9-11pm midweek . . .and to be honest if its loaded with freestylers then at least the majority have 'some' skills and are more likely to damage themselves than others . . .the fridges are never going to be perfect, however they should turf out the wannabes, or at least let them crash into each other on dedicated sessions . . .
snow report
I think it's simply down to good management.

Why not offer people the slope with minimum number of skiers and no lessons - charge a good price for it and people will pay it.
If you're having a lots of lessons going on then let people know if they are paying for a free ski session that the slope is not gong to be anything like fully open.

I think if you're honest and fair with your customers then people will tolerate it if things are busy and there is the odd queue.

I can see they have huge overheads but I can also see from the comments on this thread that customer satidfaction is variable and they would probably increase revenue if they spent some time ensuring eveybody gets a quality experience and vaue for money.
snow conditions
I think they do actually precisely that - there are "off peak" times when the likes of me may visit.

But commercially, they'd be nuts to ignore or annoy the vast majority of zero-experience beginners in favour of a few old people who find anything above walking speed scary. If you see what I mean. I'm saying... that you can see why they will want to fill their slopes with people whose money is as good as mine but who need significantly less slope space to have a blast. Those guys may be dangerous, but they're good business.
ski holidays
fixx wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

I went there tonight, and a totally different experience from you - yes half the slope was set aside for freestyle, but both lifts running at all time, and not that busy, so barely had to queue at all. A few private lessons going on, and maybe one group on the main slope, but nothing that got in the way - I got plenty of unimpeded runs in. This was 7.30pm - sometime after 9pm.

I have seen is crazily busy once or twice though, and it's not pleasant...

I was there from 5-7 so probably had the worst of the rush hour. By the time I was leaving it did see to ease off a little. I've got some time off coming soon so going to try for an early session mid week and see if that helps.
snow conditions
I never saw anything about 'off peak' when I visited.

They need to maximise revenue - this means offering good value for beginners and recreational skiers. I've nothing against beginners. I used to take school trips to the dry slopes for several sessions before we hit the snow. They were fantastic. However, recreational skiers were not expected to weave between them and, to be fair, I'd have been unhappy if they had been.

I have now found the 'off peak' section on the website where I booked. My mistake.
I still think there should be a limit to the amount of lessons taking place whilst people are paying to recreationally ski.
Interestingly, when I complained at the end of the session, the two members of staff on the desk said they couldn't agree with me more and gave me the email of a manager to contact about it. I'd imagine they've had to deal with the blunt end of many disappointed recreational skiers.
latest report
I never saw anything about 'off peak' when I visited.

They need to maximise revenue - this means offering good value for beginners and recreational skiers. I've nothing against beginners. I used to take school trips to the dry slopes for several sessions before we hit the snow. They were fantastic. However, recreational skiers were not expected to weave between them and, to be fair, I'd have been unhappy if they had been.

I have now found the 'off peak' section on the website where I booked. My mistake.
I still think there should be a limit to the amount of lessons taking place whilst people are paying to recreationally ski.
Interestingly, when I complained at the end of the session, the two members of staff on the desk said they couldn't agree with me more and gave me the email of a manager to contact about it. I'd imagine they've had to deal with the blunt end of many disappointed recreational skiers.

Spot on . . .

My only addition would be that those on beginner lessons should vacate the slope on completion, to allow the recreational skiers a bit more 'security' . . . .oh, and ban all snowboarders wink NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy