Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2015/16 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Tatman's Tours thanks for all the useful tips on Saalbach and the Chicken Hut! And the Bergralm. Another near miss at the Spitzbub. Had a great steak at the Schattberg Stub'n still in our ski gear! Good to meet kooky and scarpa. Apologies to the snowhead at bus stop 10 (red helmet with snowhead stickers) that I didn't introduce myself, was in a rush to squeeze on the bus Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink

Something I say at least once a day!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tatman's Tours wrote:

For the future, I'm formulating a cunning plan to gradually introduce them to the party by means of occasional forays through the back door. Clearly plunging straight into the party through the front door isn't a good idea (except for those of us who are hardened to it), still less taking people upstairs until they're ready to make that progression.

I see...

Shocked NehNeh Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@radar,
Quote:

Apologies to the snowhead at bus stop 10 (red helmet with snowhead stickers) that I didn't introduce myself,

could well have been me! No worries.

We've had a great week all in all and I must also apologise to, javascript:emoticon('@Tatman's%20Tours,%20'), as I never reaally got chance to meet up with you and yours as we were having such fun. But I must thank you for your heads up on resto's and general info about the scene. All good, very nearly went back to the Chicken Man for a 2nd visit but youngest diverted us to the AsitzBrau, which was good too. We spent 3 different days in and around Leogang and overall think this area had the best snow/ski conditions for the week we were there. We also lunched at The Seidl-Alm as we met my wife there as she didn't ski much and could reach this place from the Vorderglemm bubble, this place has more of a mountain feel to it with basic food choices but very good value.
We had most of one day over in the Fieberbrunn area but stayed relatively high. The down hill link piste, F14, was very scratchy and fairly steep so I would echo concerns about taking nervous skiers across there. But once across the conditions were fine with probably more incline to the hills than elswhere in the whole resort area. Lovely little hut in the traditional sense- TeeHutte.
Also skied in and around Hinterglemm/Saalbach in between and on the other days, all things consider we had a really good weeks ski.
The restauarants were generally good, we ate at; -
The Schattberg Stub'n twice(1st night and ended there on the last night as we never booked anywhere and struggled to get in any other places) this place is good value and very friendly.
Wallners Pizzeria, not the best pizza this week but friendly place. La Trattoria had the best pizza, if you like pizza's.
Del Rossi, very nice steak and good service.
Hotel Bauer, superb food, highlight of the week food wise, little more expensive than the others but real quality and nice wine.
Kohlmais Stub’n, give this hidden gem a try, if you can find it!!
The Eva Alm, good value and fairly central.
On the mountain was generally very good, most places have similar menus and we were never disapponted.

We stayed at The Siegmundshof Pension, which is on the main road slightly out of town. I would recommend it, although fairly basic B&B but it is good value and all newish with friendly owners and staff.

We actually stayed in Hinterglemm over 10 years ago and loved the area then and did so again this time. I chose to stay in Saalbach this visit for a change of venue and after the first night thought that I had made a dreadful mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love apres just as much as the next guy/girl but seeing so many people barely able to walk, still in ski boots and carrying ski's late into the evening almost totally put me off!!! I came away with the impression that Saalbach has mainly male visitors, hence over indulgence, and that there is more of a mix of sexes in Hinterglemm. I might be wrong however but I will probably return on a last minute break knowing that the snow will good down to resrt level.

Edit; I also used Hansi for ski hire and thought he was great, after apply a generous discount he asked, "you pay by card right?" my answer, "no", his response, "oh ok, then only pay me €XXX", anothe €40.00 reduction. Top bloke!

Thanks again Richard.

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@northantsred, we were just up the road at Pension Alpensport, nice place simple B&B, am amazed that we didn't run into each other as you were in most of the restaurant we were !

Agree with the large male groups, we had a particularly amusing bunch of Norwegians in the Eva Alm, one of whom was a Liverpool fan and could just about stand

Eating out, to your list I would add the Backstatt ( a Tatman Tours recommendation ) the ribs were great, the steak at the Schattberg Stub'n was historic, we had a bit of a blow the budget on our last night, I had some Euro's left as its a lot cheaper than France
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in a 4* hotel in saalbach which will remain nameless and some poelple are dining in their onesies, stinking of alcohol and keep bursting in après renditions of Sweet Caroline

I quite like it but it's not for everyone Shocked

Whiteout today (I quite like that too) which meant superb conditions on the Intermediates World Cup run 93 run down to the Steinbergbahn
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

renditions of Sweet Caroline

Could be worse - at least it's not "Highway to Hell".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few of us went to the Eva alm instead of the hinterhag sometimes for a bit of sanity. Nice place and food was nice too. Also had a really nice meal down the road from it at the pizzeria near the little bridge, bbq ribs and chicken wings platter, mmmmm!. We were very well behaved at our breakfast, surprisingly! I would fully recommend pension Gabi. It's a bit of a walk from saalbach but was spotlessly clean, must have just been refurbished I presume because everything is brand new. You can ski back to it down blue 34.(1st memorise which way the internal doors work! 2 of our party called the owners down during the night unable to gain entry for nearly half an hour. It was then pointed out that the door didn't have a lock, you pulled it instead of pushing it!!! And no matter how many times you touch the light switch with your room card it will not open by magic 😂)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A cracking day today on the north facing stuff above saalbach and hinterglemm.

Some great long runs right down into the valley all with a good steep pitch

Snow excellent, weather perfect, people scarce Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote]
Snow excellent, weather perfect, people scarce
[quote]

I agree entirely. We did the anti-clockwise circuit today, and the piste conditions were as good, if not better, than at any time this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very impressed with the ski area and lift system

The only slight pita is saalbach itself where you have to walk a bit to change between the kohlmais, bernkogel and schattberg areas. 1st world problem as they say
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, Depends on where you're staying and how you plan your itinerary. We're fortunate in being located directly opposite the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn lift. We've been in Saalbach since mid-December and haven't once found it necessary to walk down through the village to the Schattberg Xpress. When we go up the Bernkogel we pole across the piste to the lifts on the Turmwiese, or go up the Turmwiese and ski down to the road opposite the Hotel Kendler. When we ski the south (i.e. north-facing) side of the valley (Schattberg/Zwoelferkogel), we've normally crossed over at Hochalm, or taken the ski bus from the Schoenleitenbahn. No walking involved, except to cross the Dorfstrasse between the Turmwiese and the Bernkogelbahn (100 yards?)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right, yes, I can see a bit of local knowledge comes in handy, but if you finish on the schattberg black run you're gonna have to walk up the hill to get home. Reminded me of Arabba where they're building a cross town lift to get rid of a much shorter walk. Hey ho, if you can't manage to walk a few 100 yds carrying skis you probably shouldn't be on the mountain...

Schattberg, zwolfer & westgifelbahn for me today, trying to keep out of the sun Cool The best snow was under the Ubahn gondola, short but sweet red with a lovely pitch all the way

My week and my season are over.... Saalbach rather more raucous than Fiss and Arosa but the best skiing and conditions of the year.

It's 'Dutch week' next week I believe - not sure what that entails as 99% of punters here seem already to be Dutch this week... Do they paint the snow orange?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

if you finish on the schattberg black run you're gonna have to walk up the hill to get home.

If we come down that run, we usually leave enough time to take the ski bus down to the Schoenleitenbahn, so that we can finish on the Kohlmais and ski to our door (after calling at the Bergeralm for refreshment!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off to Leogang on Friday for a week, very excited!!
Any updated on conditions / must do's / best après etc?!!
latest report
@jellemr, The last few days have been very sunny and warm. There's plenty of snow, but in the afternoons it's been getting very porridgy and slushy low down. Having said that, the temperature has now dropped, and it's been snowing at village level all morning (and is forecasted to continue), so whatever I say about conditions will be out of date by the time you arrive.

As you'll be based in Leogang, I can't comment on the apres, but you'll be well-placed for the excellent skiing on the Asitz and Steinbergbahn pistes - and lunch at the Hendl Fischerei (Chicken Man).
ski holidays
Thanks for the reply Tatman's Tours, much appreciated.

So the skiing above Leogang is worth spending time on? We're both decent intermediates who like clocking up the miles, so I'm sure will want to venture further than just Leogang if it's feasible.
We'll have the car, so were also contemplating a day out on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier - worth a trip?

Cheers
Matthew
ski holidays
@jellemr, only if it is a bluebird day and there has been fresh snow elsewhere. The views are unbelievable on good days, but it is pretty confusing in poor vis. If the snow is shoite elsewhere everyone and their grandparents are up there and although the uplift gets everyone up there really efficiently, the queues at the lifts can be quite bad.

If you have the car, why not look at some of the other resorts open in the area, for example Schladming. If you pay for the slightly more expensive Salzburger Super Ski pass you can ski all the resorts still open in the Ski Amadé region quite easily and some of the Tirol ones like Kitbühel for a fraction of the cost of the day passes (Kitz for example is over 50 Euro for a day pass now
snow conditions
Maria Alm is just down the road too. Probably 15-20 mins from Leogang.
ski holidays
@jellemr, Well you've got the whole Ski Circus for starters, Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn, so that's 270km. Look at the Saalbach.com website for the various circular routes. The longest is about 65km and takes a whole day to get round using the main pistes. Then read the thread above for the local recommendations for interesting runs off the main circuit, and also check out the snow trails that are dotted around the area and are marked on the piste map.

Although its snowing today, the forecast for next week is sunny and warm, so definitely bring the Factor 50 and be prepared to start early and finish with a long late lunch in the sun once it all gets a bit squishy in the afternoon. Cool
snow report
@jellemr, Definitely worth a day as long as it's sunny on the Kitzsteinhorn as snow conditions will be great all day, with the new lifts replacing much of the requirement to use T-Bars the queues even during New Year week were greatly reduced. The conditions in the region are very good for the time of year so it won't be packed out.

Make sure you apres at the bar at Langwiedboden before downloading to the car park - usually a really good 90 minute party from 3-30 till 5 ish. Also recommend having lunch at the Hausalm - great food and prices though you can experience great views and photo opportunities from the Gipfelwelt Restaurant at 3000metres.
ski holidays
Wow, thanks for all the replies all - overwhelmed!!

We have season passes - Kitz All Star Card - having already spent a fortnight in Niederau and another week on the Ski Welt, so ideally don't want to have to buy any passes outside of this. I think that rules out Maria Alm and Schladming (please correct me if I'm wrong?)?

However, we are more than happy to do a bit of driving around - we've found the freedom the area pass has given us this winter to be wonderful.

We'll save the Glacier for a bluebird day (thanks Samberg Sue), and will definitely pack the factor 50 (although the forecast seems to be changing with every release of GFS / ECM!!).

Thanks Again!
snow conditions
jellemr wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies all - overwhelmed!!

We have season passes - Kitz All Star Card - having already spent a fortnight in Niederau and another week on the Ski Welt, so ideally don't want to have to buy any passes outside of this. I think that rules out Maria Alm and Schladming (please correct me if I'm wrong?)?

You are correct there. But with the car, and that pass, it means you can do Kitzbuhel in one direction, or Zell Am Zee/Kaprun in the other. Neither should be much more than half an hour drive from Leogang. And you also have St Johann i.T or Waidring/Steinplatte, though those are much smaller areas.
snow report
How's the snow?
latest report
@madlondoner, Typical spring conditions - okay in the morning and becoming slushy under the hot sun in the afternoon, especially on slopes facing the sun. Last week was generally good, with cooler weather and new snow on 2 nights, bit this week it's much warmer. Currently the pistes appear to be amply covered with snow, and all the links are open, as well as the pistes down to Saalbach village. Snow-forecast.com is forecasting 16 cm of new snow on Friday - but that is April 1st, so it might turn out to be joke Smile

Went over to Leogang at about midday today and had lunch at the famous Chicken Man's emporium, followed by a spot of sunbathing at the Bergeralm, and skied down after the piste bashers had come up and groomed the slush (which makes a big difference). Planning to ski anti-clockwise round the valley tomorrow, but I may bail out before I get to piste 2b. Having said that, it's gone really quiet (now the "Dutch weekend" is over), so 2b may not be too chopped up.
snow conditions
Hmm wondering if to go late this week. I love saalbach but I would like to ski rather than just end up in the bar!
latest report
@madlondoner, The forecast for the end of the week doesn't look good. Snow-forecast.com has now revised its prediction of snow to warmer temps and rain.
snow conditions
@madlondoner, That forecast has changed again! This afternoon was supposed to be somewhat rainy, but it was beautiful and sunny all day. The forecast for later in the week looks better also.

Today I managed for once to get out by 10.00am, and I found the pistes to be in really nice condition. I skied with a few friends over to Hochalm via the Bernkogel and Reiterkogel and the skiing was good - even piste 19 at the Spieleck far corner of the valley on the south-facing side was good and fast to ski around midday, although pretty slushy by then around the Sonnhof. We crossed over the valley, and the pistes on the Zwoelferkogel were good down to the mid-station, as they usually are. They became slushy below mid-station, but not as chopped-up as you might expect - fewer people around.

The off the beaten track Grabenhuette was our lunchtime stop, and the off-piste leading in and out was still okay and skiable - but only just. Pistes 4 (blue) and 1 (black) on Schattberg were in good condition, especially the upper section of the black (slushy towards the bottom).

I went up the Schoenleitenbahn at 4.00pm and skied down a practically deserted piste 66 to the Bergeralm - only me and a couple of snowboarders fooling around. After a sun bathe and a beer, piste 51 to the bottom was skiable but looking a bit sorry for itself towards the bottom - the bit before you schuss down past the Kohlmaisstub'n. It won't last much longer, but it doesn't need to - pistes 52 and 53 have plenty of snow, and besides the whole north side of the valley will close for skiing on 4th April.

As you'd expect, many of the bars and restaurants are closing, but the Spitzbub was very lively as I passed it earlier this evening, and Bobby's is going strong, as always. The Hinterhag Alm closes next Sunday (and is considerably less frenetic than usual - refreshingly so!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm thanks. Thinking of going to solden or ischgl
ski holidays
Would just like to say despite the end of 'dutch week' 2b was bad at 4pm today... even for 2b! It has been very warm and soft everywhere the last 2 days after 11pm! But most pistes still got great snow for this time of year! Smile
snow conditions
That's not too bad. I don't often ski after 11pm. Laughing But maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
ski holidays
Quote:

Would just like to say despite the end of 'dutch week' 2b was bad at 4pm today... even for 2b!

Can't say I'm surprised - that's why on Tuesday I opted for coming down number 1 and catching the ski bus down to the Schoenleitenbahn.

@espri, Laughing
ski holidays
Snow starting to deteriorate now in places low down and on the south side, wet patches appearing as it has been so warm even at night. There was no overnight freeze last night so the snow was soft from the start, but main pistes still holding on well. Some scary temperatures forecast for the next few days, but maybe I'm forgetting it's spring and last year our April holiday was blessed with fresh snow and cold temps! Is the early closure of the schonleiten on the 3rd (and cut of connection to leogang) so the construction for the new schonleiten can start? Puzzled Because for the past few years they kept it open to the end to keep the connection.
latest report
Saalbachsnowhead wrote:
Is the early closure of the schonleiten on the 3rd (and cut of connection to leogang) so the construction for the new schonleiten can start? Puzzled Because for the past few years they kept it open to the end to keep the connection.

That could be but the whole of the north side of the Glemmtal is closing, so it doesn't seem to be the major factor. With friends I skied from Leogang to Saalbach and back and, although the snow was soft, it was still a good day's skiing. The Saalbach side was very quiet - I had the impression in the morning that all the Saalbach Hinterglemmers had skied over to Leogang, for it looked busier there.
ski holidays
Quote:

The Saalbach side was very quiet - I had the impression in the morning that all the Saalbach Hinterglemmers had skied over to Leogang, for it looked busier there.

Our group was one of those; leogang certainly seems more popular late on in the season to Saalbach - we were just on the search for anything firm!
ski holidays
Quote:

Our group was one of those; leogang certainly seems more popular late on in the season to Saalbach - we were just on the search for anything firm!

As well as the north-facing slopes of Leogang, the Westgipfel run from Schattberg, the Schattberg Nord black run, and the Zwoelferkogel pistes normally retain the best snow when the weather is warm. We're currently trapped in a southerly (foehnig) airstream, and by the time the wind changes and it becomes cold again it will be too late for this season. It's the luck of the draw; in the past few years we've had cold snaps and excellent skiing in early April. This time around it's hotter than a British summer, but on a positive note I've spent all afternoon basking on the sun terrace of the Bergeralm, and the run down at 6pm (after the groomers had been up) was sublime.
latest report
@Saalbachsnowhead, The Schönleitenbahn is closing on 3rd April as work on replacing it commences on the 4th.
snow report
@quinton, R.I.P. I may go and pay my last respects tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
We leave Saalbach tommorow, will probably ride it for one last time too! (Been our local lift for the past 12 years!) Smile
ski holidays
The north (Kohlmais/Bernkogel) side of the valley closed today, and what a climax! For me it was possibly the best day's skiing of the whole season! Since I've been here since 19th December, that may seem a little far-fetched, but our current guests also commented that it was the best day's skiing they'd ever had. Set out at 8.45am and found perfect, virtually deserted pistes (frozen overnight). Skied (much faster than usual, thanks to the empty pistes) round the whole valley before midday (Bernkogel - Reiterkogel - Hochalm (including piste 19 at the Spieleck end of the valley) - Zwoelferkogel (including piste 13b, the World Cup run) - Schattberg Westgipfel (including the top half of the Westgipfel run) - Schattberg Ost), and then down piste 2a/2b to Jausern and over to Leogang for lunch at the Chicken Man, then down piste 92/93 to the bottom of the Steinbergbahn, then back to the Bergeralm for the last happy hour of the season.

According to www.skiline.cc we covered:
8.542 vert.m., 57km downhill distance, 23 lifts, 375 minutes fun
After lunch the pistes became progressively softer and slushier, but not chopped up and still enjoyable to ski, assisted by the lack of people.

The upper slopes still have plenty of snow, and it is still possible to ski all the way down to Saalbach village on the three main pistes, but some of the lower pistes are wearing thin in places towards the bottom, owing to the recent very warm (foehnig) weather. Having said that the forecast is for much colder weather and up to 45cm of fresh snow later this week - a bit late, but it just goes to show that you can never write off April skiing. The resort closes for skiing on 10th April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy