Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl or Salbaach for Beginner

Poster: A snowHead
I finally persuaded my daughter (age 23) to come on a skiing holiday with me. She loves swimming so I need a hotel with a swimming pool in case she struggles skiing full days or just wants to unwind in the evening.
I have stayed previously in a hotel in Salbaach which would be perfect but I did fancy trying Ischgl this year.
Any advise on the merits of either would be appreciated mainly considering the needs of a young woman first time skier.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We love Ischgl but I think it would be a bit intimidating for a first timer
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd lean towards Saalbach personally. Little warmer and friendlier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which has the best ski school? Maybe you could organise some lessons in a snowdome before you go. Might help her to hit the ground running.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Castleford Xscape is just 20 minutes away so she will definitely be enrolled on some tuition there before we go.
Cold is more appealing to me but I think warm and friendly is a better option. I hoped perhaps someone would tell me what I wanted to hear but nothing so far.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Saalbach would be better suited for a beginner, they'd find it easier to progress. The runs are tougher generally in Ischgl IMO.

Wait till they've got a bit better and can make the most of what Ischgl has to offer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pistols, If you choose Ischgl you will need to be on your guard to protect your 23yo daughter from the marauding hordes of Bavarian stags.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@red_27 that made her laugh but I know what you mean.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Which has the best ski school? Maybe you could organise some lessons in a snowdome before you go. Might help her to hit the ground running.

Now there's a question.....should I answer it? (so tempting)

Both are excellent resorts.

Ischgl's Silvretta centre has a range of facilities including a pool and is located conveniently in the centre of town. It does not really get busy in the evening there.

There are of course differences between the two places. For one, you cannot ski across the border into Switzerland from Saalbach. Ischgl without doubt, does have more challenging slopes, however there are within them excellent facilities and slopes for beginners. Saalbach is also tame by comparison when considering the night-time economy, however it is not compulsory nor everyone's taste. Many quiet bars and restaurants exist in Ischgl to suit those visitors preferring a more peaceful time. You will probably find more people speaking English in Saalbach.
Regarding overall facilities/fun/entertainment...Ischgl wins by miles.

ps. If you wish to protect your 23 year old daughter completely, why persuade her to go skiing in the first place? wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Saalbach is also tame by comparison when considering the night-time economy

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

@Pistols, Remember that this season, your daughter will be able to use the new chair lift to go all the way to the top on the Bernkogel at Saalbach. As you will no doubt be aware from your previous visit, the upper section of the Bernkogel is virtually a plateau with the gentlest blue run in the entire area - ideal for a first-timer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mayr wrote:
pam w wrote:

There are of course differences between the two places. For one, you cannot ski across the border into Switzerland from Saalbach. Ischgl without doubt, does have more challenging slopes, however there are within them excellent facilities and slopes for beginners. Saalbach is also tame by comparison when considering the night-time economy, however it is not compulsory nor everyone's taste. Many quiet bars and restaurants exist in Ischgl to suit those visitors preferring a more peaceful time. You will probably find more people speaking English in Saalbach.
Regarding overall facilities/fun/entertainment...Ischgl wins by miles.

Sorry, but the apres in Saalbach gets every bit as nuts as in Ischgl. Maybe less going on late at night, but I find the 'right' bars (aka the Skandi seasonnaire) bars in Saalbach plenty rowdy enough tbh.

I like Ischgl - a lot - and it does have plenty of beginner slopes too, but Saalbach is one of the best beginner resorts around IMHO (I used to instruct there). Ischgl does have a lot more good freeride terrain though.

Also I'll give a shout out to Fürstauer Ski School.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mayr wrote:
Saalbach is also tame by comparison when considering the night-time economy

Saalbach's apres is not far behind Ischgl!! It's legendary.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say Saalbach. From memory the nursery slopes are right by the village whereas with Ischgl the slopes to the village can be quite difficult.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pistols, we've booked hotel rosentalerhof at hinterglemm for end of Jan. Has an outdoor pool and close to nursery slopes. Personally I prefer Saalbach to ischgl but that's not to say that ischgl would not work for you either. Both are great resorts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pistols,
Personally I suspect that most people who go onto enjoy skiing will enjoy most resorts as a beginner providing they get on reasonably well with the ski instructor.
I love Ischgl to ski in but having said all that it would not be the first place I would recommend to an English beginner.
All the skiing is up the mountain so there are no cheap lifts to start on and you have to get up the mountain to start. The skiing back down again is not easy and towards the end of the day ridiculously busy and often icy so you have to get the lift back down again. Although there are some very good gentle runs the ones that are easy to access mainly get very heavy usage and only one of the near central ones is usually quiet which can be a bit off putting for a beginner. It also has a comparatively small number of English clientelle and only one ski school which is quite expensive. I suspect if you don't get on with an instructor the ability to swap is limited.
latest report
I would agree that Saalbach would be a better option. I'm a huge fan of Ischgl but whilst the slopes down to the village are pretty straight forward for all but complete beginners they can be pretty intimidating for early stage skiers as they do get busy from 3.30pm onwards as everyone heads for the Apres Ski bars in the village or comes down the mountain after a very lively lunch.
snow conditions
Quote:

Sorry, but the apres in Saalbach gets every bit as nuts as in Ischgl. Maybe less going on late at night, but I find the 'right' bars (aka the Skandi seasonnaire) bars in Saalbach plenty rowdy enough tbh.

For anyone who may be mystified by this comment, we recommend (not necessarily in order of nuttiness), for apres-ski (3.30-7.30pm), the Bergeralm, the Panoramaalm, the Maisalm, the Hinterhag Alm, Bauer's Schialm, the Spitzbub, Burgi's, and for apres-apres-ski (9.30pm-til late), Bobby's Pub, the Underbar, the Otzi Bar, the Eva Alm, the Kuhstall, the Taverne, Castellos, Zum Turm, Alibi. There is a question mark over Mangos, which was one of our favourite late-night haunts a couple of years ago but had been ruined last season - maybe it will improve again. Some of the hotel bars can also be nutty, or at least convivial, e.g. Berger's Sporthotel. The Stamperl, Spitzbub and Steiner's are okay for a quiet, non-nutty drink. King's and the Why Not cater for, ahem, specific, late night ('X'-certificated) tastes.

We are not so well up on Hinterglemm, but the Goassstall is an obvious choice for apres-ski; also the Dorfschmiede outside bar, the Hexenhaeusl and the London Pub/Tanzhimmel, and from what we hear also the Schwarzacher, which we haven't yet visited during the evening. Later on we have enjoyed the Glemmerkeller. No doubt others will suggest other possibilities in Hinterglemm.
snow report
You won't be disappointed by either, both are probably in the top ten/twenty European/World ski resorts when all things are considered.

Key differences would be -
Saalbach - cheaper, lower, more tree lined skiing, more traditional chocolate box type feel
Ischgl - more facilities - pools, bowling, shopping, very snowsure, high altitude can be quite bleak
ski holidays
Quote:

pools, bowling

@AthersT, Can't comment on Ischgl, but Saalbach has pools available in most of the village-centre hotels, and there are bowling alleys in Bobby's Pub. As for the shopping, I would advise against taking a 23 year old daughter on a shopping spree wink but Saalbach and Hinterglemm (and of course Zell am See, a short bus ride away) have a good selection of shops, and Saalbach also has a 'heimart' museum and an art gallery, as well as ice karting, ski-do touring, sleigh rides, paragliding, tobogganing, guided snow-shoe walking...if those things are important/desirable.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 2-11-15 10:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Tatman's Tours I was thinking of the hotels but to be honest but your right - there isn't much between them except for altitude, snow record and price. Also Ischgl and it's vicinity has all those things mentioned too. As I said both Top 20 resorts in the world so either way the OP goes they won't regret it, plus you can go with the other one next time! Very Happy

P.s Once your daughter has progressed with her skiing you can ski into Switzerland for lunch at Ischgl (Chicken at Alp Bella!!!!) with her and go duty free shopping - you can also do this using the lifts except the chicken bit.
latest report
I don't know Saalback but Ischgl's where both myself, about 8 years ago and a friend, about 4 learnt to ski and neither of us had any issues with either the instructors or beginner slopes.

All the instructors I've had in Ischgl have been friendly, spoken perfect english and been good at teaching. It's gondola up in the morning for everyone, though you want either the Silvrettabahn or Fimbabahn for beginners and the ski school meet point is in the bowl those 2 drop off in. There's a flat section you spend about 10 minutes on learning skis on/off and sidestepping then it's on to a great practice blue. After a couple of days you're on to some of the other blues, all around the bowl. By the end of the week you're on to easy reds.

Everyone's different but I'd expect you to be able to do either the Samnaun duty free run, or better the Alp Bella roast chicken run by the end of the week (The duty free run is very long and flat at the bottom/the gondola back up just a slow 2-car/unless you're desparate for a watch only really a different lunch option. The chicken on the other hand is awesome and it's a fight not to have it every day!). My friend and I both managed it and we're late starters only taking to the planks in our late 30s/early 40s.
latest report
Quote:

It's gondola up in the morning for everyone

That's one of the differences. Saalbach has nursery slopes in the village and no need to get a lift up the mountain or a full pass, until she's ready - but of course the OP already knows this, having previously stayed there. Having said that I can see why he/she might want to sample Ischgl this time around.

However, it's important, in deciding between the two resorts to fully research the roast chicken options (search the forum for "chicken man"), as there seems to be a clear rivalry between them in this particular respect. (And don't start me on the bacon and egg, and gulasch soup options!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy