Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sauze D'loux - Back Today (report)

Poster: A snowHead
reports are saying snow on the way ... which is great, coz I'm off there at the end of the week Cool ... do you reckon I should trust these reports ?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sauze-d-Oulx.0to3top.shtml

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sauze-d-Oulx.0to3mid.shtml
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only time those reports tend to be reliable is when they predict heavy snow and when that fall is predicted within a couple of days. You will probably see some snowfall based on that report but Sauze needs a massive dump, not just a few centimetres.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They've been predicting snow many times since new year - but it's never arrived.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meteo France also predicting snow
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, Thanks for that.

I notice that SCGB snowreports state a reasonable (24cm) dump for Sauze on Friday. I hope it's true as I arrive there on Sunday
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems to be from a weak low that comes down from the North and joins forces with a deeper one in the Med, hanging around and delivering snow to French and Italian resorts in the Western and Southern Alps from Thursday pm through to possibly Sunday. Would take a much more knowledgeable snowhead than me (Brian!!) to comment on the chances of it coming off but the precipitation has shown up on 4 GFS runs since yesterday lunch time and with 48 hours or so to go there must be a reasonable chance of at least some snow falling I guess?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skibandit, when you say "massive dump" what sort of fall would be good ? 25cm ? 50 cm ? + ??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The forecast is predicting something like 40cm, and from years of experience of following how accurate snow-forecast.com is you will probably see half of that. You must remember that Sauze has had no meaningful snow now for a couple of months, so any base is extremely unreliable. I think two falls of at least 25cm are needed to ensure the whole domain is open.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was the same for us in sauze last year been 4 years on the run and last year ended it we're trying soll this year. Will miss sauze had great times there but the least they could do is be honest about snow
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Milky Way - Stayed in Sestriere and was really p8ssed off with Italians, they basically kept 2 lifts open for us and preserved everything else for the Olympics. Except on the Saturday when they opened the Olympic runs as the president of Fiat (founded the resort)was visiting.

On the plus side the link to Sauze was open via a very rickety & slow single man chair. Sauze seemed fully open and there was constant snow for the last 3 days (at least 40cm) so it all became very good.

Still had a good time although it could have been a whole lot better. Starting to think of the next trip already. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pete1909, shame not to meet up.

I'm also just back from Sauze and it was still snowing yesterday morning when we left after 2 days of constant snow snowHead . So anyone heading out there the next week or so will have tons to go play in. As Pete1909 said Sestriere only had 2 chairs open which took you to the right hand side of the mountain as you look at it, to a couple of short pistes..........really not worth the 1 hour+ it takes to get over there but it did mean i could visit a good mountain restaurant i found last year so introduced my mates to it - i was slightly forgiven. All the runs over there looked to have plenty of snow cover but were kept shut due to the Olympics! rolling eyes

Basically turned up on the Sunday not expecting much to be open but i was pleasently surprised by what was. A fair amount of Sauze was open except for the back bowl which has the runs to link to the Gondola to take you over to Sestriere. This area has no snow cannon coverage so no surprise it wasn't open. To get over to Sestriere there was a very enjoyable 1 man chair (very slow though) from the Col Basset area. The area that was open in Sauze was covered with snow cannons and you could still pop through the trees in some areas so jumps off ledges were possible. The base was hard, so for learners it was hard to fall on and hard work, but i loved it. Up top was still quite soft but underneath was very hard and fast. If you had faith in your kit, ability and sharp edges like we did then it was great fun! The snow cannons also gave some nice platforms to leap (well not that high Laughing ) off. Blue skys and fast sliding.........heaven!

After 2 days though we decided to go off to somewhere different as we'd heard Claviere had much more snow and was basically all open. I'd been with Flexible Breaks before and met one of the drivers in a bar (yeah some things never change Wink ) and he said they would take us the next day for 15 euros each return. Bargin, our tour op were charging closer to 30!!! So off we went, although there was a hicup getting out there - the bus had one less space (we were a group of 6) so we couldn't squeeze on, we had to get a cab which a rep from Flexible Breaks sorted out for 60 euro on way, but Flexy would only charged us 5 euro for the return as we could fit into the bus...........now that was great service from someone i wasn't even having a holiday with!!! So off we went to Calviere, and Shocked Shocked Shocked there was tons of snow. We had a brilliant day out there, fantastic conditions, some off piste, the pistes were in great condition although in some places hard but still very slidable! The runs over the back were not in such great condition as the wind picked up and left very hard/icy hardpack, so we quickly gave up on that and went back to hte more sheltered side, although this did mean using the most horrible, almost vertical drag lift...........thank god it's only short, but all 5 borders and 1 skier made it up first time, but lots of checking of "vital kit" and moans could be heard. Laughing Laughing Loved it so much out there we'll definately look to go back at some point.

So we came back to Sauze and had 3 more days of very enjoyable sliding, and it snowed constantly. It was a funny sort of snow though for the most of the time, almost like the snow cannon snow as it was very small flakes and looked like glitter while it was falling. The locals were saying that it was too cold really and needed to be a few more degrees warmer. But did we care, not really, it was snowing!!! Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin More runs did not open though, which was a shame as the main runs tended to become very deep on the sides and very deep on the sides but this just meant that there was now even more piles of white stuff to go throwing our bodies at Toofy Grin So we all came away very happy, a few bruises but otherwise intact!! As we left the snow flakes were much more markedly bigger than the previous 3 days. In all i think they had at least 40cm. The strange thing though was that they kept the snow cannons on though Puzzled Down in the tree lined areas there was fantastic sliding and not much wind, up top it was quite windy (as it usually is) and very cold, a full face covering was definately in order (but that was more so we didn't scare the kids Wink ).

It was the first time i'd done a "package" sliding holiday, but was well organised - Panorama, although the reps are a pain (as they are always trying to sell something but i guess that's their job Puzzled ) but we steered well clear of them Twisted Evil . We went self catering and had a whale of a time, each taking turns to cook etc. so we all ate very very well, experienced everyones excellent cooking and different meals. We also drank very well - the fridge was well stocked..............with beer etc!! The only problem is remembering that the shops shut at 7pm (and for a few hours during the middle of the day) so you have to remember to do your shopping before having a quick snooze after a days sliding! I think from now on it'll probably be the way we'll try to do it when going in groups! The only bit of the package deal i didn't like was the leaving, i prefer to just pack and go after the last days sliding but this deal meant an early leave the day after. It was some sort of "organised" chaos, somehow we got on the right bus and our bags got to the airport. Turin was manic though, they are still building the airport for the Olympics Shocked rolling eyes Laughing . This was the first time i'd experienced it during a weekend, other times during the week it was a really pleasent experience, this time not so but you just have to be patient!! The que to check in was huge but as long as your patient you get through in the end - i wouldn't want to drag kids along though! After check in a through the metal detectors the toilets were being closed down, so for the girlies this meant some v long queing to pass a penny in the only open one, lots of banter between the guys/gals when going to the loo about how lucky "we" are, we just said well you shouldn't insist on going in pairs then NehNeh

We ate out a couple of times, found some really nice restaurants in the older part of the town away from all the English orientated bars.

Before we went i didn't really want to go back to Sauze but i'd definately go back...........although watch out for the dodgy peanuts in The Village Bar wink

Oh and if you are going to buy sliding gear while out there, go to 360 (I think that's what it's called) - it's up by the Ghost bar. The owner in there is a top top bloke, takes time to chat and find the right gear and remembers you!! He even made a point of coming over to us to say hi when he saw us out having dinner.

Anyone out there in this week, if the snow stops will have wonderful blue sky sliding! Have fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How long would it take to get there from Montgenevre. I am going on the 12th with 9 others. I know it will be by road as the snow is pants in Montgenevre. Do they normally do day trips etc?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bigtoe, if there's good snow in Claviere, I'd have though Montgenevre would be OK? The snow in Sauze is usually worse, Claviere is easy to ski to from Montgenevre, just across the border into Italy. I'd say you'd be better off taking the 20 minute drive to Serre Chevalier if you need a road trip. Unless you want to get caught up in the Olympic traffic of course.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen thats good advise which I will def Take.
I hate being caught in traffic and while I should be skiing its a def NO NO
Cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
bigtoe, if there's good snow in Claviere, I'd have though Montgenevre would be OK? The snow in Sauze is usually worse, Claviere is easy to ski to from Montgenevre, just across the border into Italy. I'd say you'd be better off taking the 20 minute drive to Serre Chevalier if you need a road trip. Unless you want to get caught up in the Olympic traffic of course.

The snow in Claviere was excellent even when Sauze had none so now it should be superb. If you or anyone else is contemplating going for a road trip around the Milky Way area please be aware that access is by official public transport only!!! Even the local residents have only been given passes for their home villages.

It is driving the locals mad, one instructor I was talking to said that he had his pass for Sauze, but he had family in Claviere and for the entire duration of the Olympics he would have to go by bus to see them. Also, the guy who owns the hotel we stay in is the director for the bottom section of the downhill course, and to get there for 7am every morning as required, he has to be up at about 5 to drive down into Oulx, then get on the bus up to Sestriere!!! and then the same again in reverse in the evening.

On another note, he must have been the only guy in Sauze moaning about the dump of snow last weekend. All he kept saying was that he had just spent the last month trying to get snow onto the bloody course, and is now going to have to spend the next 2 weeks trying to keep the stuff off it! You could understand his point, as to do this involved taking down and then putting back up 14km of safety netting on his section alone Shocked Shocked

Also for anyone heading that way after the Olympics, be aware that much of sestriere may well still be shut. Apparently they have to seriously remodel the slopes for the para-olympics (remove height off the jumps & fill in compresions etc) so expect similar amount of disruption as have been seen the last few weeks.

However there is still some good skiing to be had, and the snow should be great so enjoy!
snow report
I skiied Sauze today and it was amazing. A ghost town. The Italian Police and Seacurity Services have booked all the acommodation for the Olympics and all are in Sestriere during the day. There are a handfull of Brits in the resort but the place is being avoided by the Italians. The snow is excellant and it was a refreshing change not to be skiing on solid stuff that's all over the Serre Che.
snow conditions
Posted most of my comments on Sauze in the resorts section but just to add -whilst I was there (29 Jan - 5 Feb) Sauze had better snow than Montgenevre. The back bowl opened on the Wednesday and was great fun. Although the piste to the bottom of the Sportinia chair lift remained closed (amazingly) the run itself was good to ski and saved on a schlep up the hill from the bottom Clotes. Even more baffling was the fact that the run all the way to Jouvenceaux was open. The lift pass prices for the whole area have been reduced by a few Euros due to the limited skiing.
snow report
Thanks for all the info 2 days to go!
snow conditions
bigtoe, enjoy it, whatever the conditions, you just have to make the best of it.
ski holidays
Cheers Helen be no problem there Little Angel Any time spent in the mountains with skiies on your feet is better than being at work
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy