Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades?

Poster: A snowHead
They are goggles with a gps system and heads up display. Take a look here http://www.zealoptics.com/shop/goggles/tech-series/z3-gps

If he is a true gadget head then they are a must.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm kind of with the jester's hat.

How about some lessons? You could buy him a day's catboarding, but he'd be most unlikely to be able to make use of it without a bit of practice.

I would have suggested a Burton throwback, but if he failed to learn to ride a snowboard quickly, this is likely out of his ability range too.

A holiday in the snow with lessons, perhaps?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK. Maybe the ice sheet would be more scary for you..

But if you buy him blades with bindings as opposed to tie ons and ski into a huge powder field (or even a small one - doesn't take much too grind blades to a halt) you should be giggling. A few face plants on and - if you are lucky - his blades will have popped off and he'll be trying to find the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'. If he's still grinning after that then I'm afraid it is a lost cause. Laughing

I have bladed and found it them really useful when I was skiing after a broken bone and ripped ligaments in my ankle because they were so light (my leg ached even with light skis). I enjoyed them and they could in the right conditions be lot of fun and pretty nippy in small bumps and so on. One thing though - make sure he has a helmet on (for you peace of mind at least). I did way more somersaults and falls on them than on skis and they were generally much more "spectacular" (i.e. dangerous) in nature). It's the stability thing. Further, once I was back on skis I never went back - on balance too much pfaff PARTICULARLY on the flat trying to keep up with polling skiers (that should also wipe the grin off his face - unless he has the legs of a speed skater?) Laughing

Suec
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Thank you for your constructive opinion! Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 30-10-15 17:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Em1986, did you get the lessons booked. The sheep won't be happy until it's sorted
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow those goggles sound great.... I think that will be a great gift for next year - thank you for mentioning them, I think he would love them actually!!

We already have a ski holiday booked and his Christmas present two years ago was our first ski holiday WITH lessons which was great... but this time we are going in a small group Happy

Suec he does have the ones ordered with bindings and as mean as it sounds I may take an incy wincy bit of pleasure watching him slip and slide and see the odd face plant.... only because its always me!! Laughing

And he never really falls over .... these blades are becoming more and more appealing!

No he definitely does not have the legs of a speed skater... he is nowhere near as fast as a lot of people but compared to me.. he is very fast...I crawl along even on a flat as I am so scared of falling over so maybe in these I may be quicker than him Laughing

Graeme... no lessons booked but blades purchased!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Em1986, what about lessons for yourself? Smile Write a letter to Santa and who knows Smile While your OH will be messing arround on the blades, you will be catching up with him. And in the end you will both ski together and enjoy the mountains
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that's an excellent idea.. but again not this year.

I very rarely get to see my sister.. maybe three times a year if that as we live so far apart but she is coming skiing and I know she doesn't enjoy lessons really.... I would rather spend all my time with her...
although we went skiing together two years ago and we would 'ski' for a few hours and then went for lunch or the spa so there wasn't much skiing going on.... Laughing

In all seriousness though I am thinking of making regular trips to Hemel in the summer next year to have lessons to get my confidence up as I would enjoy it so much more and I know I could benefit massively.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Em1986, well if you get in quick on the link i sent on the previous page its £119 if you dont want the fancy carbon frame pair.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Em1986, I haven't got a recommendation for Freestyle skis. If you go to the Snowtrax store most of their freestyle team seem to work in there so you'll get loads of good (and sometimes overenthusiastic) advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i mentioned them earlier @Em1986,
The best pressie for your bloke are these
Only problem is they are not made anymore so you have to hunt them down second hand.... which makes them retro too!
I have a pair and they are a great laugh for a couple of runs/hours. You can 360 on your toes! They fit in luggage too (even hand luggage).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about a comedy jester's hat AND snow blades... Awesome! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I have a pair and they are a great laugh for a couple of runs/hours. You can 360 on your toes! They fit in luggage too (even hand luggage).

I have some too. found them in the chalet I worked in at the end of the '94 season!
they are quite a laugh for a couple of hours but to be honest I haven't bothered to put them on in 15 years
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Em1986, don't forget to get the bindings sorted for his boots or you are going to have to find a ski shop in resort to do it for you - with the hanging around that causes which will take the edge off.

Go for it and as @suec, said worse case you can get a laugh or too. Maybe even slow him down to your level too.

Get him involved with park, off-piste or even ski-touring if he really wants adrenaline hits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A summary of Mr Em1986:

Lewis Hamilton is a better skier than him.
He has no fear, and he's skied every black he's run into.
He doesn't care what's cool, indeed he's not sure which end of the ski's should go forward.
After three days his feet finally melded to his boots, but they do fit now.
He doesn't like lessons, prefers his cousin.
Is a complete natural, ski's fast, but would consider stopping if necessary.
Values ridiculous stuff for pure shits (what like laxatives?).

Er, get him the blades and book him onto the Birthaday Bash.

I love this thread.
snow report
Thank Guys... Have purchased some Head the rod 94s ... the place I have bought some from have adjusted to his weight / height and ability shoe size.. *hopefully*.. they asked for all of that and said they have done it so fingers crossed!!

Doubt Ill ever get him to my pace.. believe me I AM SLOW.. but then again I improved a lot last year on the year before so maybe this will be my year Laughing
snow conditions
Em1986 wrote:
Thank Guys... Have purchased some Head the rod 94s ... the place I have bought some from have adjusted to his weight / height and ability shoe size.. *hopefully*.. they asked for all of that and said they have done it so fingers crossed!!

Doubt Ill ever get him to my pace.. believe me I AM SLOW.. but then again I improved a lot last year on the year before so maybe this will be my year Laughing

Hope that was his ski boot size (ie the boot sole length), not shoe size they asked for
(I have a few sets of boots and they don't have even close to the same BSL, and I'm pretty sure my shoe size doesn't change much!)
latest report
@Em1986, congratulations on the equanimity with which you have tolerated some pretty offensive contributions on this thread. snowHead
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Em1986, congratulations on the equanimity with which you have tolerated some pretty offensive contributions on this thread. snowHead

Well said
snow report
pam w wrote:

Hmmm. in the scheme of things, asking a question about whether blades are a good idea, and declaring the other half as being a beginner who likes going fast, it could (should? Twisted Evil ) have gone a lot worse wink
snow conditions
Will there be a sequel? @Em1986, we will all want to know how it turns out...
snow report
stuarth wrote:
pam w wrote:

Hmmm. in the scheme of things, asking a question about whether blades are a good idea, and declaring the other half as being a beginner who likes going fast, it could (should? Twisted Evil ) have gone a lot worse wink

Fingers crossed the equanimity doesn't lead to a spiral tib fib fracture. Seen it happen Sad
latest report
@Em1986,

besides the Head 94's look at the Salomon SB range such as the SB PRO they ahve metal non release bindings not sure if some others in the range do though most probably not. Metal bindings are better than the crap plastic ones but bindings that can release are better still. I think from your posts any of the wide skiboards will be fine do not buy the skinny carving ones.

Buy them on fleebay that way if he does not like them you will hopefully get most of your money back. The wider ones are more fun in the park and that may be ideal for him rather than trying to go fast on piste on skinny blades that will be unstable.

With the money you save buying secondhand please consider the other comments above re lessons. I have never seen a two week skier with great technique and it is easier and cheaper to correct problems in technique early rather than later. he will also greatly appreciate the extra confidence this will give him when skiing with the lads.

You could book private lessons at your local fridge so no need to disrupt the holiday with the lads.
snow report
@Em1986,

Sorry did not see the post saying you had bought some already ( sat here with one eye open getting severe eye strain Madeye-Smiley ).
The point re lessons though is relevant and will make him a much better skier and the envy of his mates.
latest report
@Em1986,
Apologies, re-reading I realize it was not you but someone else that declared your other half a would be speed demon

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
stuarth wrote:
pam w wrote:

Fingers crossed the equanimity doesn't lead to a spiral tib fib fracture. Seen it happen Sad

Well I meant the harsh words normally associated with blade and speed threads.
You can do plenty of damage to yourself on skis or snowboards too*.

*I have to admit I did also at one time own some Line Skiboards (which were of course much cooler than blades Razz) and despite my best efforts and lack of release bindings, did not break myself on them - can't say the same about skiing on my gigantic powder skis Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
To be honest I kind of expected some hostility RE blades after googling it and seeing a few 'bashings' on here... what can I say.. I am thick skinned Laughing

Then again I get everyone's points and these are just a fun gift...

No not shoe size.. again me not using the correct wording... they asked for boot size which I got off the sole of his boot....

Again he would love lessons as he enjoys being good at things.. but this trip will not be the one where he does them because of the people we are going with... next year we may be going alone again.. and if so I am going to book us both onto private / semi private lessons (separately) ... as we would both enjoy them and benefit from them.

Yeah I think some of what I have said has been open to interpretation... he does go much faster than me but to reiterate.. I am SLOW.. I make my way down carefully skiing across ... although on the last day on our last trip he said he only had to wait for me for around 15-20 seconds rather than the previous year of half hour rolling eyes Laughing

He is comfortable going quicker than me but then who isn't.
He doesn't fly down slopes.. blacks he can do but he finds them challenging and these are in Bansko and Andorra so I don't think they are comparable to some of the French blacks I don't think.. he takes his time and never fly's down any runs straight like I have seen some people do. He is confident and he is an adrenaline seeker but he is sensible, thinks about everyone else and values his and everyone else's safety. Everything is relative and this is me talking!! Laughing

These blades are for a bit of fun.. last year when he did some runs with me (blue) .. I was practising my turns and shifting my weight and he was learning to ski backwards and turn all the way around.. as we were going so slow he was doing this to amuse himself and to stay with me Laughing This is what I think the blades will be good for. Little Angel

Talking of ski boards - I am going to hire some and try them out Laughing
snow conditions
Oh also Suec -- we always wear helmets! Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy