Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me all your advice, opinions and views on twin tipped skis?

What are there adavantages and disadvantages and what level of skiier could consider using them?

And can you hire them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, no problem hiring them, you can ski backwards on them, usually softer and easier to iniate turns than a convential ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, disadvantages are that they never fit in ski racks and often don't fit the racks outside gondolas. They also don't lean comfortably against walls. Unless you absolutely want to ski backwards and do freestyle I reckon they're a waste of time, and purely a fashion statement. I had some - glad to get rid of them, but then I don't do freestyle.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THey can throw up a nice tail in the right conditions. Is that an advantage ?
THe Scott P3 I had at the PSB was ok. I even went backwards on them for a bit. Otherwise as easiski says - dont fit gondola racks & they do the splits when plunged into the snow outside resturants rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anybody else given them a go?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My bandits have a slight kick up at the back, not quite a true twin tip. They make it easier to ski backwards or do spins. If I was good enough then I could land jumps switch as well, but I'm not.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both of my kids (who are in their 20s) use nothing but twin-tips. Personally, I have twins from my everyday skis and powder skis. Its amazing how many of the old farts where I ski are on twins. Twins tend to be softer which makes them more forgiving in moguls and crud. Their upturned tail maked them easier to release a turn. The tail also makes it easier to skid your ski around in moguls and crud. Their major downside is they don't hold a turn as well at higher speeds so you have to pay attention to avoid skidding out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, I'm still working at landing forwards Confused But yeah - they work great for spinning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, will have to give them a try
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Twin tips - yeah - great if you like to ski backwards!!! Other than that I don't see the advantage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry. Twintips are about much more than skiing backwards and looking cool. They're real easy to use and great across the whole mountain. Because of the freestyle side to them they do loose some stability at speed but thats about it. If you want a ski to go everywhere from the greens right through to the steep and deep then ther definately worth a look.

Head MOJO
K2 Public Enemy
Dynastar Trouble Maker
Armada AR5

There are a few good ones for you that will be good out of the park. Have a go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Im going to give these a try next week

Hope they ride well and I may then even venture onto the park !!!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, yuo can't beat my Chopper though....

After too long on skis that do all the work for you, have to admit I'm starting to enjoy skiing on these!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
very nice PG, but do you mean that there ia a bit more to sking on these type of planks rather then a typical carving ski.

I guess I will get a bit of an idea when I give them a go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found this year that they do fit gondola racks - but it was a problem last year. Maybe the racks are being changed ?
ski holidays
Renry, yes - that's what I found straight away on piste. Great off, but you have to put in that much more effort to ski correctly. Plus mine are more or less centre mounted - which I doubt is ideal for anywhere other than the park. In fact I'll have to check that out.
snow report
I got some atomic triplets (urban) off ebay and they are great, good edge hold not the best in the short -turns but thats expected. I would also recommend the dynastar troublemakers and rossignol scratch FS.
snow report
Well I must say that I didnt enjoy using the Thrusters but a snow dome prob' isnt the place to get the best from them.
I also had a blast on some Streetracer 8's and loved them. Going to try the B2's next time NehNeh
ski holidays
Renry,
Quote:

Well I must say that I didnt enjoy using the Thrusters

I tried some at MK. I was so underwhelmed that I did not bother trying them again in resort. For me they felt too soft, lacked a solid edge grip and seemed to give no feedback.
latest report
Underwhelmed is a good word, its exactly how I felt. I must admit that I didnt really know what to expect from them in the first place but I was very disapointed with them. Im tempted to look out for a pair of Streetracer 8's over the close season or maybe after a try of the B2's in a few weeks time maybe those.
ski holidays
I hired a pair on Sunday as it was a powder day and wanted to try fatter skies. I am no expert but I thought they were difficult to carve turns and flapped about alot.

For this reason I stayed off the piste as much as possible. On powder they went really well and great for a novice powder ski like me to get a feel for floating (although I did snow dive a good few times!). Initially when I got the gondola I couldn't work out how to fit them in the slots so brought them inside! Then I realised I needed to put each ski in a separate slot. I also agree that the twin tips are a nuisance to stand upright in the snow when you stop for lunch.
snow conditions
I imagine that in softer conditions they would be ok, I agree, I didnt think that they carve very well at all and I must admit I do enjoy doing fast sweeping carve turns.
They do say that they are not so good on packed pistes and they certainly didnt like the centre of the slope at Castleford, if you went nice and wide into the softer stuff they felt a little better. I would still give them another go away from the snowdome.
snow conditions
Long snowblades ......................... ha ha ha ha ha
snow report
I must say as a 1080 owner who skis at Castleford that unless you are doing tricks etc I wouldn't even consider using 1080s indoors!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy