Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travelling back to Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Saalbach before Christmas. We are flying back on the Friday evening (18th Dec) at 9.30. Our plan is to ski the day before setting off. Given the traffic can be manic, what time should we set off to safely get to the airport on time?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SCollier1, I actually wouldn't expect the traffic to be all that bad before Christmas. The normal trip takes about 2h45. Only problem at the moment is the border controls that are in place due to the refugees. So I would consider using one of the smaller border crossings, such as the route via Lofer / Oberaudorf, but it really depends on how the refugee problem develops.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Friday evening heading away from Austria shouldn't be too bad. Locals will be heading out of Munich on a Friday night and the big chaos comes at the weekend. I would guess 3 hrs max

There have been odd roadworks in recent years which make it worse. I am sure a local will pop up and comment on the state of the motorway this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steilhang, has hit the nail on the head.
Last Saturday morning it took 40 minutes to go about 2 km to get through the border which is a little into Germany at the Piding/Bad Reichenhall exit.
Tuesday night was worse as the jam was much longer.
Poor Kookie has to put up with it most days!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SCollier1, traffic should not be so manic going back towards Munich on a Friday afternoon, but choose a route that avoids the border crossing at Walserberg as if the controls are still in place you can lose well over an hour in traffic there.

I have a cross-country route from Saalfelden via Siegsdorf and Traunstein to the airport if you want it. The roads are all the equivalent of A-roads and are kept well cleared in bad weather. It certainly skips all the usual suspects for hold ups where trucks, etc have problems.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This border issue is maybe an unexpected feature of a few holidays this winter, including mine, although as we're using a transfer company I'm sure the driver will know the best options. Without wishing to get into debate on the cause of the problem I presume if the winter is hard enough it will become less of an issue, at least numerically, conversely the problem is perhaps worse just now due to a rush before winter closes in?

That issue apart your only risks will be the usual weather and roadworks but I'd still leave by 3.30 at the latest , you'll certainly be going in the right direction as far as traffic is concerned. I'd keep in touch with@Samerberg Sue, whom I can recommend as a first class guide in these matters.

Edit -PS Just noticed I'd read time wrongly

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 30-10-15 14:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Out of curiosity, do any of the locals have any idea/predictions on how the refugee problem will affect border crossings (I'll be driving through Germany to Austria) and holidays in the Austrian alps this winter? Are alpine villages/towns taking in refugees?

Or is this likely to be less of an issue/favorable destination for refugees once the cold weather arrives...?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am heading out to Zell next weekend and will be driving from Munich Airport, I usually go via Niederndorf, Lofer etc or Siegsdorf, Inzell, Lofer depending on what my sat nav predicts the traffic will be like. Any locals have any idea which will be least affected by border controls or have any other routes that will be better. Leaving Munich around 1300 on Saturday?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@AthersT, we are waiting to see what happens to be honest.

My corner of Bavaria has long been a hotspot for the refugees, our local police have been monitoring the trains coming in from Italy for refugees from southern Italy (Lampedusa, etc) as well as the trans-Alpine lorries for a long time before this current situation. We have refugees in my small village, occupying holiday lets that were not doing too well against the ever-increasing numbers of higher quality ones becoming available. We have at least 15 to 20 young Somali/Eritrian young men in a set of holiday flats above our village shop and several families scattered around the place, mainly Syrian, Iraqi or Afghani. We don't notice them much and those whose papers have been processed and have gone through the 3 month waiting period do move on are doing whatever jobs they can find in hotels, farms, or for the council. A couple of middle eastern families have been here for at least 2 years, so the cold weather does not deter them. I've acted as an intepreter for one particular family a few times as they have a young boy (4/5 years old) who is quite ill. They spoke little english but good French as do many from Syria and the Lebonon. they have obviously acquired more German or maybe a better intepreter as I've not been called on to help them recently but I still see them around.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mbeaney, could be busy coming along the A8 as German schools start their Autumn holiday tomorrow, but it should not be as busy as the winter half term. There are long-term roadworks on the A99 just after the junction with the A9, you can't avoid them either by using the A92. Other than that htere are no long term roadworks along the A8 and as far as I know, none planned between now and the start of the season because it is getting too cold.

The major hold ups currently are at Walserberg (Salzburg A8/A1 crossing) where you can be delayed for upwards of 90 minutes at certain times of the day and at Kiefersfelden where at times the delays can add maybe 30 minutes but it is not always so. When returning from Austria to my home in Germany, I now leave the Inntal motorway at Kufstein-Süd and travel via Kiefersfelden itself, returning to the Autobahn just after the Kiefersfelden service area. Coming back from the Salzburg side I leave the motorway at either Hallein or Puch on the A10 and travel around the foot of the Untersberg, but the junction with the Bad Reichehall - Piding road has got to be pretty problematic due to all the locals avoiding Walserberg too! The other headache crossing is the one near Passau but that would not cause anyone any headaches if they are coming from a skiing holiday in Austria.

The other border crossings are relatively free of any hassle or controls as far as I've heard. friends crossed from the Tirol to Garmisch at Scharnitz the other day and did not see any controls. So I'd guess that the Fern Pass, the Achen Pass and the Bregenz (A96) border crossings are also problem free.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Samerberg Sue, Thanks for that might have to change my route for my annual trip to Ikea in Salzburg if Walserberg is that bad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robboj wrote:
This border issue is maybe an unexpected feature of a few holidays this winter, including mine, although as we're using a transfer company I'm sure the driver will know the best options. Without wishing to get into debate on the cause of the problem I presume if the winter is hard enough it will become less of an issue, at least numerically, conversely the problem is perhaps worse just now due to a rush before winter closes in?

That issue apart your only risks will be the usual weather and roadworks but I'd still leave by 12.30 at the latest , you'll certainly be going in the right direction as far as traffic is concerned. I'd keep in touch with@Samerberg Sue, whom I can recommend as a first class guide in these matters.

Thumbs up from me for Samerberg Sue.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mbeaney, if you are just going to IKEA then drop off the motorway at Salzburg-Süd and nip up the west side of the A10 (only if it is backed up of course) then follow the road through Grödig to Glanegg. There you turn right (very sharp and unexpected right turn) into Moosstrasse. This is a very long straight road which you follow until big junction with the Maxglennhauptstrasse where you make a left turn and follow it around until the Siezenheimerstrasse which will bring you close to the A1 West-Autobahn near the Red Bull stadium. The road then follows parallel to the motorway to the roundabout by the Europa-Park.

But timing is the be all and end all of the problem! Currently there are no hold ups showing on the A1/A10 interchange (11.15 in the morning here). But there are hold ups just over the border between Walserberg and the Bad Reichenhall/Piding junction (heading towards Munich). The pull out at the Bad Reichenhall exit is where all the suspect cars and vehicles are checked by the Bavarian police, so it does slow down the traffic that has been waved on. There have also been roadworks just after this junction on the long pull up towards Anger and Neukirchen that have slowed things up especially when the trucks are heading out of their overnight parking spots. I've not driven along that route for a few weeks though so how much longer they will be in place I'm not sure. I think they will be winding them up soon as the weather gets colder.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy