Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2015/2016 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@outsidehalf10, Gers seems to be the one area where the GM website should only be seen as a guide. It very often says it's closed (not prevision), and then later in the day there are signs at the lifts to say that it is open.

Snow stopped in Les Carroz at about 10ish this morning, but the fog/low cloud persisted. We had a lesson booked in Flaine, so went up, and found that it was much clearer than in Les Carroz but very windy and cold, with flat light. Now back down in Les Carroz where it is still foggy...........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thought we were overdue to give those coming out for Easter an update. My excuse is that I've been too busy skiing. Happy

Pistes are still holding up really well, considering that there has been very little snowfall in the last 12 days or so. This morning we skied in both Flaine and Morillon and both were a pleasure, although quite icy early on. Add in blue skies and bright sunshine and you get the picture......

Gers was open this morning, but didn't seem that busy (looking from the top of Grand Vans), and Cascades is still open but with warnings that there is about 500m to walk lower down, due to lack of snow. I'm of the opinion that this would be preferable to the sheet of ice that greeted us about a week ago!

Pistes were busy yesterday and today, as you'd expect on a sunny weekend, but it was also noticeable that there were far more British children about, so guess that this was from schools that broke up early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's the latest on off piste conditions in the area? We are in Flaine from Wed, hoping to find something worth getting the fat skis out for.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Digger the dinosaur, we don't do off piste at all, so can't really give you a sensible update. But it's a while since there was any fresh snow, so no chance of fresh tracks at the moment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
offpiste is crunchy am softens pm....all tracked out but still better than the pistes!!! did find 50m off actual soft snow rather than crusty in gers and more to come but guide is keeping it for his group...sun is out and its warm!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sign at the top of Cascades this morning indicates that it is now "closed for the season".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions in Flaine superb yesterday, although a little too windy to make for comfortable skiing on some higher pistes. Still relatively quiet, although assume that will change tomorrow with people taking advantage of a long weekend.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great conditions around the Grand Massif this morning. I was one of the first to the top of DMC and the runs off the top were in excellent condition: freshly groomed but above the thaw/freeze zone made for laying down some nice tracks back to the village. Then up Grand Vans before dropping down into the Vernant valley - the last bit down to the lifts had just softened enough to take a great edge. Up Tete de Saix and then a long run down to the the Samoens plateau, noticing that the slopes below here were all closed even though there looked to be plenty of snow on them. Back up to Tete de Saix then down Chamois and Marmottes to Les Molliets - starting to be a bit soft now in the sunnier places. Up Les Molliets chair and along the Arete to the top of Morillion and a brief foray down Burgin (a mistake, not been pisted, frozen chattery snow) before stopping at L'Igloo for coffee.
A short drag to the top of Morillon led to a fast grippy decent via Biolaire and Combe into Les Carroz - and straight on the bubble. Down again via Zorta and up Gron before back to the Tete de Saix via L'Airon. Dropped back down via Sortilege (very soft and brown in place, I reckon it will be closed in a few days) and up the Vernant chair before the last run down Tourmaline and the short Aventurine (never noticed that open before!) back into Flaine.
Pretty quiet all over - no queues to speak of apart from a few minor log-jams where ski-school groups were encountering magic-carpet loading chairs for the first time.
Not a bad morning: 28miles in 2h30m (plus the brief stop at L'Igloo) according to Endomondo.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobW, Nice one, I can see it in my minds eye, very envious.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rather pleasant ski today, on piste soft and bumpy, off piste cream cheese if you choose to right bits. but that could be bull of course.........Finally confirmation in the les carroz gondolas cabins about the new lift for december 2006 going from les molliets to tete des saix....however to save any further unpleasantness that's it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arrived in Flaine Saturday midday, skied in the afternoon. Very warm, pistes in good condition and the off piste so heavily tracked that it was almost like the piste. Today woke up to light snow and it snowed all day in Flaine, quite heavily late afternoon. Visibility was not good, sometimes as low as 10 metres. The fresh snow on the pistes made for pleasant skiing. Temperature round about freezing at 1600m, snow was not settling on the road. Sun came out at about 18.00. Very worried about the forecast for the rest of the week so will need to make the most of the conditions before the temperature rises. Considering it is the end of March the conditions are very good with lots of snow everywhere in the bowl. I've not ventured beyond the top of Grands Vans yet, I wonder whether the snow fell as something less nice lower down in the other GM resorts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rain in Samoens village today, light snow up at Samoens 1600, heavier later. Icy to start and sticky snow only helped this slightly. Visibility shocking so all round not a great day for learners! Sun out late pm only. Did a few runs off Tete des Saix in the pm, softer and more forgiving but v busy, so pick your runs. Prob quieter from Monday but the forecast ain't great for the week - thankfully lots of snow stored up on runs so should hold up well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Woke up this morning to about 5cm of fresh snow here in Flaine and still snowing lightly. Vis poor but it's much better than forecast.

Yesterday was very windy and in the morning DMC and Grands Vans closed, also Aup de Veran for some of the time. Long queues for the chairs that were open. Dessert Blanc and Diamand Noir chairs also closed in the morning. Wind dropped a bit in the afternoon so more chairs and DMC open. Snow had blown across the pistes so in places it was like skiing on fresh powder. Some of the off pists was good, other places it was very crunchy. For the time of year conditions still very good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear! Raining since about 16.00 this afternoon at resort level. Conditions today have been extremely variable. Early on the fresh snow made for some good on piste skiing but still strong wind high up. Airon and Lanche closed so Gentianes only way back to Tete de Saix from Carroz/Morrillion. Found some lovely powder off the side of Mephisto this afternoon but difference in snow above/below 1900m was enormous. Forecast for next few days not good, time to get the brolly out, methinks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris Mason, thanks for he update. Will do snow dance...
snow report
@Freestyle, It worked! It snowed last night above, I would guess, about 2000m and the on and off piste conditions were superb early on and even late in the afternoon the conditions were very good for the time of year, but you had to stay high (we only went below the bottom of the Dessert Blanc chair for lunch). Lower down it got a bit stodgy, but when the sun was shining the bowl looked beautiful. We were one of the first down the off piste under the Dessert Blanc Chair and made fresh tracks on the cut through from the top of Almandine to Diamant Noir.

Final fresh tracks were off the side of Tourmaline on a diversion on the way home, but having skied it I now know why no one else had. It was like porridge!

Brolly been put back in the cupboard, for now at least.
ski holidays
Very strong winds today slowly closed down the whole area. Links to other resorts closed all day, chairs and telecabines in the bowl open this morning but closed about 15.00. Tetes des Verds then closed at about 15.30, leaving nothing open. Even the Gerats chair closed so had to get the bus back to the apartment - the first time I have know this to happen. Still very windy, if it stays like this nothing will open tomorrow. Temperature at 14.00 at the bottom of the DMC was 13C. There is still a good depth of snow so the pistes are staying in good condition, if only I could get to them!
snow conditions
Very strong winds today slowly closed down the whole area. Links to other resorts closed all day, chairs and telecabines in the bowl open this morning but closed about 15.00. Tetes des Verds then closed at about 15.30, leaving nothing open. Even the Gerats chair closed so had to get the bus back to the apartment - the first time I have know this to happen. Still very windy, if it stays like this nothing will open tomorrow. Temperature at 14.00 at the bottom of the DMC was 13C. There is still a good depth of snow so the pistes are staying in good condition, if only I could get to them!
snow conditions
Day started off with low cloud making visibility very difficult. Skied down to Samoens, Morillon and Carroz in the morning, cloud variable, sometimes vis was OK, other times less than 30 metres. For the time of year the pistes are in very good condition. Cloud slowly lifted and saw the sun in the afternoon. Some of the pistes were very 'grabby' as they softened up. Lindars Nord opened and had 2 lovely runs down Agate. The off piste was mostly like porridge so stayed on the pistes. It appears that they are only opening one of Gentianes, Airon and Lanches at any time, when the vis is bad it is guesswork as to which one is open until you are right on top of it.

This was (probably) my last day of the season, it will take a major dump of snow to entice me out again. Considering what a poor start the season had I have had some wonderful days this season. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I find the updates very helpful and I hope others do as well.
snow report
@Chris Mason, have really appreciated your updates. We came home at the weekend just as you arrived and, like you, will only be going back if there is some serious snow between now and about the 15th.

Safe travels home, and let's look forward to next season.......
ski holidays
@Chris Mason, Agreed, my last day on Thursday after 2 weeks of good skiing. Friday was the first time I've ever been in Flaine in winter & not skied. I gave up after the "Brits" ski race & all of the lifts closing. Did you see they had a rope across at the top of Grand Vans stopping anyone from the rest of the GM coming to Flaine on Thursday morning? Must have known they were going to close later.
Can't see the snow lasting much longer. Was fine down to the second signpost on Crystal but I was just going nowhere below that level. "Grabby" is a good expression. Getting back to resort was a nightmare.
latest report
We arrived in Samoens on Saturday with little hope of much skiing. Sunday, despite being overcast was a grear days family skiing. Very springlike in that it got mushy later in the day, but the pistes even towards the lower parts of Morillon were acceptably skiable and we had a great day. Monday was even better... The sun shine all morning and the pistes were lovely and quiet again, all hiking up well, we skied throughout the grand massif with few bare patches and not too much mush!. Yesterday was a huge bonus, rain was forecast but didn't materialise during the day. Temps still very warm and a few areas between resorts on the ridges starting to look patchy. Now to today... The hammering rain throughout the night means it is unlikely we'll ski today... The webcams seem to suggest the rain snow limit is about 2000m. If only it was 400 less! Never mind, we've been lucky thus far... I suspect the snow below 2000 will be pretty awful today
latest report
Thursdays skiing was actually OK (as far as the snow went)... however it was a fog nightmare, so we just had a 4 hour pass (which was plenty). After 12 years skiing the GM... I still managed to feel totally lost in some areas Happy. It looks like the resorts will limp to the close of the season, and considering the weather this year, the piste people have done an amazing job in my opinion. Springtime is lovely in the Giffre valley... might do Easter again next season.
ski holidays
Beautiful day today sun sun sun and that horrible damp misty weather gone. Froze last night and a lovely mornings skiing. Snow is still in good shape towards the top from Tetes des Saix- obviously gets slushy lower down and later on.
latest report
Hi guys. I have a ski pass for grand massif to give a away as i can not use it. I give it for 10 euro. Pm me if you want it.
latest report
As we have been walking in the Grand Massif during early summer and this week, some pictures of a few changes

We walked up Corbalanche yesterday, load of earth moving stuff at the bottom

with various signs stating that the route to vernant closed due to the construction of the new lift to tete des saix

Walked all the way up, with a tree cutting persons pick up at the top near the bend

They are cutting the trees, to make space for the new lift

the new lift pylons are marked by small orange sticks, and it will finish approx same place as the top of the old lift you can see in the pictures

Flaine still has quite a bit of snow at the top

and if you every wondered why piece neige from the top of tete des saix is so dire when snow is thin, this is what is underneath

and

ski holidays
As that is probably it for this thread.....into the sunset we go...there was a superb sunset tonight in les carroz...took some pictures..

le Pic du Marcelly

and again

Le Môle

ski holidays
Thanks for the pics
Looking forward to seeing the new lift in action.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting split double chair in the pics above.

Its also interesting to see the snow fencing. Its normally associated with Scotland, the Pyreenees and Canada but I don't think I have ever been to a resort in the main alps that doesn't have some amount of snow fencing.

Can anyone think of one that doesn't have any Puzzled
latest report
Great pics! Let the countdown to season 16/17 begin!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy