Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt or other Swiss resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A college of mine who sadly recently lost her husband to cancer has decided she wants to live life to the full and starting ticking off all those things they always wanted to do but never did

She wants to go to a ski resort. Do a little skiing (never been skiing before) but sample the alpine atmosphere. She has it in her mind about going to Switzerland, possibly Zermatt. Will that tick all the boxes or can you recommend another Swis resort. The skiing is not the main reason for the visit although she does want to give it a try it's more about being in the picture postcard mountains , nice apres and dinning

Any help and advice appreciated

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-11-15 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt is certainly an iconic and beautiful resort. Probably not the best for a beginner-logistically difficult to get about, and the beginner slopes are up the mountain. However, there are some lovely hotels (our current fave is the Europe Hotel and Spa) amazing views and a great atmosphere, so maybe it would suit. There is also a ranges of good ski schools. She would need a reasonable budget too! I think it is quite a good place for non skiing days- with walks, and the ability for a pedestrian to get up the mountain even if they are not skiing.

Other snowheads will chime in with suggestions for places with typical alpine charm-I'm sure there are some great resorts in Austria which may suit with more accessible beginner skiing and a more modest cost.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Renry, For Swiss picture postcard mountain ski resorts I'd say either Zermatt (the Matterhorn is the most photogenic mountain in the World in my opinion) or the Jungfrau region (Wengen) with its three adjacent mountains of the Eiger (with its famous North Face), Mönch and Jungfrau. Wengen has nursery slopes right in the middle of the village, I don't know about the nursery slopes in Zermatt, perhaps others can comment.

For an all round mountain holiday experience I'd recommend Wengen over Zermatt, as if she stays in Wengen she also has access on the Jungfrau region liftpass to the nearby resorts of Grindelwald and Murren. Also if she finds that she doesn't take to this skiing lark Laughing as there is a mountain railway network (covered on the liftpass) she can still get around to see the mountain views at Kleine Scheidegg and from there travel down to Grindelwald. For a supplement to the lift pass she can take the train through the mountain up to the top of the Jungfrau (Jungrauchjoch - Top of Europe) At Murren (reached from Wengen via the train down to Lauterbrunnen) she can take the cable car up to the Schilthorn with its revolving restaurant and its James Bond 007 connection and exhibition (it was featured as Blofeld's mountain top retreat in the film On Her Majesty's Secret Service Toofy Grin ).

Also if she fancies a day away from the mountains the town of Interlaken with its shops and cafes is nearby (the liftpass covers the short train journey there from Wengen via Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken) and at Interlaken there are boat cruises on the lakes.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 27-10-15 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, exactly what I would have said 😀
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
the Matterhorn is the most photogenic mountain in the World in my opinion

I'm afraid the correct answer is Cerro Torre.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
the Matterhorn is the most photogenic mountain in the World in my opinion

I'm afraid the correct answer is Cerro Torre.

No, my statement is logically correct. I said "in my opinion" wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Banter, mate. Never mind.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the criteria you describe, I would say Zermatt is an ideal choice. Many Swiss or Austrian resorts would tick the pretty village box, and many places have more skiing on the door step for easy learning. But you say whilst your friend would like to have a go at skiing, that isn't the main focus of the holiday. If I were putting together a list of experiences I would like to have, having gone through what your friend has gone through, then waking up and seeing the Matterhorn would be right up there. I have gone to Zermatt for over twenty years and I still can't wait to open the curtains in the morning and see the changing light on the mountain. There are excellent ski schools, and if she booked a couple of private lessons the instructor would take care of carrying her skis, making it easy for her and so on. The mountains are easily accessible to pedestrians, as are many of the great mountain restaurants, of which there are many. The village has a wide range of shops, good night life and a genuinely interesting museum. The hotels are of a high standard throughout, you just need to decide on style (modern/boutique v traditional Swiss) and budget.
I hope she finds the right place to help her through this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dogwatch wrote:
Banter, mate. Never mind.

Absolutely, my reply was banter too. Toofy Grin
No worries! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I too would suggest Wengen over Zermatt, both have great views from the resort but Wengen is a little more beginner friendly, the transport network is great for getting about the mountains even if she decides skiing is not for her and there are a lot of easy winter walks she can go on, food in Switzerland is generally good to excellent, but in Wengen I would recommend the following hotels (in descending cost order), The Caprice (All rooms have excellent views), The Regina (Nice situation and formal dining with good food) and the Alpenrose (slightly further to walk but very good food and lovely people). On a tight budget I'd suggest the Bernerhof or the Edelweiss hotels which offer good value.

Ski lessons in classes for Wengen are typically morning only so she could take lessons in the morning and go exploring in the afternoon via the various trains and cable cars/gondolas in the area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy