Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revisiting prescription lenses in goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have always assumed that the reason why skiers needing lenses often went with prescription inserts (which steam up) was due to inability of lens makers to fit a large enough lens into a goggle housing. However, I've just spotted these: http://www.bluewatersports.com/shop/c/masks-fins-snorkels/prescription-masks-lenses.html?gclid=CKGc0_bR4MgCFUbmwgod718FaA If they can completely glaze a diving mask with lenses of a decent size, then why aren't the manfacturers glazing skiing goggles in the same way?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had no problem with inserts steaming up. But I now mostly use contact lenses so I can read the menu at lunchtime.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No great problems here with prescription inserts. Been using them 7 or 8 years at a guess.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oakley can now glaze some of their wrap-around glasses, so I can't see why Oakley couldn't do their goggles as well.

See http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Prescription-Sunglasses/Oakley-Prescription-Sunglasses/Oakley-Jawbreaker-Prescription-Sunglasses/

not exactly cheap though !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dfhage, Looks like those have an insert to me rather than the full wraparound being optical (you can see their outline through the main lens).

I think the problem with doing ski goggles is they're often damaged (scratched) so the lenses are more of a disposable item. They're also usually heavily curved, whereas those div goggles are pretty flat looking. Most people would use more than one lens tint, depending on conditions. I guess you could try to make the prescription lens separate to the outer tint, but then you've split the modern 'double glazed unit' which would probably lead to misting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to the Oakley store on Saturday and spoke to the Optician there, the main lens is cut out and the prescription insert is bonded to the wrap around section, so the lens is all one piece, so there is no insert to fog, only the main lens.
It's true you can see where the prescriptions pieces have been bonded to the main lens, but it all look very neat. I am going to have a pair made so I'll report back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My OH had an optically glazed diving mask but the lenses were completely flat.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. The curvature of prescription lenses affects the image quality. For a given spec prescription there are ideal surface curvatures (called forms) giving minimum distortion and maximum image quality. The further you stray from these ideal lens designs then the poorer the vision and less visually comfortable they are to wear. Even cheap crap lenses have some design effort put into them.

The curvature of prescription goggles would dictate form of the lens and the the image quality would be appalling - any head movement would involve the world moving in bizarre directions! The image quality in wrap around sunnies isn't great but it's at about the limits of what is acceptable - most people can wear them without problems. Any bigger and they would be unwearable.

2. The lens' optical centre must align with the centre of the wearer's pupil. The higher the prescription then the more critical this is. If the centres do not align then it doesn't take much to cause headaches and, taken to extreme, double vision. This would be a real treat when skiing!

Further, if there is a difference between the prescription of right and left lens then, even if the centres align with the eyes straight ahead, when looking away from the centre you'd still end up with double vision.

3. Lens thickness. Even a low prescription would create mammoth lens thickness at the edges in a short sighted prescription and if you're long sighted then, wow, the lens thickness at the optical centre would be massive. Even if it were possible to manufacture such a lens it would look crazy.

There are more reasons why this isn't possible but I'd say that these are the main ones.

Those diving masks only correct part of the spectacle prescription (no astigmatism correction) and I don't see any mention of lens centration and I presume use a flat form.

I agree that lens inserts aren't great but if you can't wear contact lenses then they are an option. There are very good none fogging lens coatings available now which really do work (no link as I don't want to be accused of spamming.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My eyes are shot to optical b*ggery. Oakley RX can't accomodate my prescription, but I found that a local optician was willing to try to mill me some lenses for a pair of Oakley frames. They're thicker than whale omlettes to accomodate the curvature but they do work very nicely. For on-mountain I'm using Oakley Canopys with regular (if a little smaller than my normal specs) glasses underneath. Used to try various methods to keep the glasses from fogging but the best method is to make sure that your goggle choice has plenty of airflow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy