Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for skis to test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm on the hunt for a new (mainly) off-piste ski (again), and was hoping to get a few suggestions based on the below details.

Me: 6'2, 105kgs, expert piste skier, but weaker off piste, which is where the majority of my skiing was last season.

Last season I mainly skied Blizzard Bonafides, which I really liked on piste when pushing them harder, but I just found them too stiff in deep snow where I wouldn't be pushing them nearly as hard, and was getting buried on the turns, which got exhausting pretty quickly. Toward the end of the season I switched to a pair of Rossignol Soul 7s, which off piste were an amazing change, so floaty by comparison in the powder, no burying on the turns, and far less tiring to ski. My only concern was they felt a little too soft when in icier, crudier conditions.

I have a dodgy knee, so I'm reluctant to go too wide (sub 110 waist perhaps), and still want something that's not going to be a complete dog when I'm back on piste. So to sum up, I suppose, wider and softer than a Bonafide, a bit stiffer than a Soul 7. What's worth looking at?

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic Automatic 102's well worth a look - I was very impressed with them last year. Touch wider than the Bonafide, not as stiff, though stiffer than the soul 7's (..I think, I didn't ski them back-to back..)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heaps around 105-107. Whitedot Director ( new shape) Movement Flycatcher, Cham 2.0 107 are all skis I've tried and enjoyed that would be a bit burlier than the Soul 7 but not I beams.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mark2010, try the Dynastar Cham 2.0 107 or 97, never heard a bad word about them, I tested the womens version and ordered them Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sarah, aHA!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I so nearly pulled the trigger on some Cham 2.0s 97s as an all mountain jack of all trades before deciding on the park.ones from Whitedot as they just won out on fun factor being a poppy twin tip that will also be fun on odd forays into the rails and boxes, although I'm not into big kickers. Side of piste and itineraries that are heavily skier groomed is most of my skiing at the mo but hoping to do more with a guide/instructor etc over the next couple of years, where the 107s will probably top the demo list.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@sarah, aHA!!

Laughing Laughing and they were not the only ski on my order either Embarassed Embarassed Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Going to have a fun season snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liberty Helix? 105 underfoot. I have the female version, but have tried the chaps' version and loved them on and off piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about one of these...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120888
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lampygirl wrote:
I so nearly pulled the trigger on some Cham 2.0s 97s as an all mountain jack of all trades before deciding on the park.ones from Whitedot as they just won out on fun factor being a poppy twin tip that will also be fun on odd forays into the rails and boxes, although I'm not into big kickers. Side of piste and itineraries that are heavily skier groomed is most of my skiing at the mo but hoping to do more with a guide/instructor etc over the next couple of years, where the 107s will probably top the demo list.

I tried the Cham 97s but couldn't get on with them; I don't seem to get on with rockers - they feel to vague to me, I much prefer normal camber with lots of pop like my fatter Preachers. I tried the normal (not park) Whitedot Ones, loved them and ordered a pair - they are stiffer and have a bigger camber than the park's - perfect (for me) for icy off piste and piste and light enough to tour
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly going to take a look at the Atomic Automatics (probably the 107 though), the Cham 107, and pair of Line Sick Days if I can find them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey all,

Sorry for resurrecting an oldish thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere in Chamonix that has either the Automatic 109's or the Cham 107's available to rent/test?

Thanks!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mark2010,
Plenty of places in Chamonix that hire this sort of equipment. I think Snell, Sanglard and Intersport (in the very centre) have all the Cham range. Not so sure about the Atomic's. Definitely a couple of places in Argentiere stock em, and no doubt several in CX. You can test all the Dynastar in production at their test centre at Lognon on the Grands Montets for free. Need a ticket from one of the stockists in town. Apologies in advance for my spelling shortcomings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the test centre info, I didn't know about that. Will definitely be checking it out! Staying close to Sanglard, so am hoping they'll have the atomics there too!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy