Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauterbrunnen - How easy for access to Ski Schools?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

It "looks" like our group are giving Lauterbrunnen (in particular Chalet Rosa) a go next year via Ski Miguel. It "looks" as though it's in the middle of "Murren" and "Wengen"... Question is out of the 6 going, 1 is a complete beginner and 2 are "intermidiots" who can Ski Blues and Reds ok just not gracefully yet and still want lessons. Which is easier for them to get to for lessons, Murren or Wengen or is there only one place to go anyway?

Cheers guy's Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When we stayed with Ski Miquel in Lauterbrunnen, the beginner in our group had lessons in Wengen. We also skied more in that area.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But it takes a while to get up there?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Spike107, Lauterbrunnen is down in the valley with Wengen on one side and Murren on the other. Although having no skiing of its own (apart from a ski path from the Murren side down to Lauterbrunnen when snow conditions permit), it is quite a convenient base if you want to visit both sides during your stay as it is in the middle between them and has the advantage of significantly cheaper accommodation than Wengen or Murren villages. See this thread for details of the travel times from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen and Murren.

As regards the complete beginner, both Wengen and Murren have nursery slopes in the middle of the village, so I wouldn't say that there's a lot to choose between them, for the "intermidiots" my personal preference would be Wengen as I'm sure they'll love the blue run from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg (where incidentally there is a restaurant renowned for its apple fritters Very Happy )

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 26-10-15 17:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lauterbrunnen is beautiful - however you've always got to catch the cog railway to get anywhere. . I think there's only one school operating from Murren - and Wengens only one stop on the train so a lot closer / easier to get to than Murren anyway . . .(for complete beginners)

Kids / absolute beginners are well catered for in Wengen and only a short stroll from the station are a selection of slopes right next to each other that slowly increase in difficulty . . .do not be enticed to try Kleine Scheidegg as the beginners area is limited and a lot steeper / tricky to access. It's likely however that the intermediate classes will run from here (the tepee is a major central meeting point) so logistically you can all catch the train together in the morning, get off at your relevant stop (KS is another 20mins on from Wengen) ski for the morning and then all meet up again somewhere convenient (one of the benefits of the train, as people travel up and down all day)

For all confident beginners / intermediates - try the run down to Brandegg (or better still down to Grindelwald) when its quiet - cruising bliss! Pastries / Coffee at Brandegg station is a must . .

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-10-15 18:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wengen side, the train up in the morning just means an extra 15 mins, the advantage is that trains start in Lauterbrunnen so are easier to gets seats on if its busy than it is getting on at Wengen
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are generally two consecutive trains, one after the other - one has trucks to dump your skis in (not recommended if you value your own kit), the other you can take them on board . .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Belch, you can take your skis in the train, wagon really only for luggage transiting to and from Mürren.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
. . .different to my experience - there were nearly always 2x trains waiting to go, especially in the morning from Lauterbrunnen - the older variants you lobbed your skis on the rack on the wagon, the newer variant there were racks by the doors and more room generally to sit down etc . . .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Belch, ah, sorry, you mean to Wengen? I thought you meant the one to Mürren.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the wealth of info once again peeps... sounds like Wengen is a good base for the lessons and meeting up with the rest of the group later on. One more very important question ... the revolving restaurant from James Bond... Laughing which side is this on and is it a "hell raising" black run to get down from it? Ideally we all would like to visit it for obvious reasons but just mindful of the beginners etc.

We will be booking today Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Revolving restaurant is in Murren at the top of the Schilthorn. It is well worth a visit for the views. If you do breakfast there the early morning ice can make the steepness quite hair-raising, but you can go down one small section in the cable car and then there are blues to ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallGuyUK wrote:
The Revolving restaurant is in Murren at the top of the Schilthorn. It is well worth a visit for the views. If you do breakfast there the early morning ice can make the steepness quite hair-raising, but you can go down one small section in the cable car and then there are blues to ski.

That's great to know thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spike107,The revolving restaurant is at the top of the Schilthorn on the Murren side. You access it via a cable car from Birg. There's plenty to do there, apart from the restaurant there's an outside observation deck, shop and 007 exhibition. Be sure to pick a clear day when you go, it can sometimes be in cloud which then means there's no view!

The first part of the black run from the top is quite steep, and dependent on conditions can get slightly mogulled (although they do bash it - the pistebasher has to use a winch because of the steepness). Once past the first bit there a place where people can regroup before setting off on a long schussing section (it's best to keep to the left hand side of this section as the right hand edge has a bit of a drop off). I wouldn't recommend beginners doing it. You can take your skis with you when you go up (there's plenty of ski racks to park them whilst you spend time there) but lots of people go back down in the cable car to Birg (where there's the nice blue runs TallGuyUK mentioned) if you don't fancy the black.

P.S I don't know if you have your ski passes already arranged but if not it's worthwhile buying them online from http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass/?___from_store=de If you order them more than 3 weeks in advance then for a Jungfrau region skipass of 6 days or longer you get a discount (which I think is 20%) off the normal price! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Spike107,The revolving restaurant is at the top of the Schilthorn on the Murren side. You access it via a cable car from Birg. There's plenty to do there, apart from the restaurant there's an outside observation deck, shop and 007 exhibition. Be sure to pick a clear day when you go, it can sometimes be in cloud which then means there's no view!

The first part of the black run from the top is quite steep, and dependent on conditions can get slightly mogulled (although they do bash it - the pistebasher has to use a winch because of the steepness). Once past the first bit there a place where people can regroup before setting off on a long schussing section (it's best to keep to the left hand side of this section as the right hand edge has a bit of a drop off). I wouldn't recommend beginners doing it. You can take your skis with you when you go up (there's plenty of ski racks to park them whilst you spend time there) but lots of people go back down in the cable car to Birg (where there's the nice blue runs TallGuyUK mentioned) if you don't fancy the black.

P.S I don't know if you have your ski passes already arranged but if not it's worthwhile buying them online from http://shop.jungfrau.ch/en/skipass/?___from_store=de If you order them more than 3 weeks in advance then for a Jungfrau region skipass of 6 days or longer you get a discount (which I think is 20%) off the normal price! Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for this! No we haven't got ski passes yet as we usually buy in resort but this is great to know Cool

Like you say the Black sounds a bit tricky with what you are saying... at least we can all go up and some have the option to ski or get the cable car back if need be! It looks a gorgeous place looking at some pics, just got to wait until 27th Feb now Sad
latest report
@Spike107, For interest I just put a skipass start date of 28th Feb 2016 for 6 days into the website link I gave you and it's showing the Jungfrau region skipass price discounted from the normal 346CHF which you'd pay in resort to 277CHF, which is a nice saving! snowHead
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Spike107, For interest I just put a skipass start date of 28th Feb 2016 for 6 days into the website link I gave you and it's showing the Jungfrau region skipass price discounted from the normal 346CHF which you'd pay in resort to 277CHF, which is a nice saving! snowHead

Yes I just noticed that! Around £50 saving...!!! I "think" looking at the PDF on 20% discount on prices it runs to November 30th. Either way I will be booking asap!

Cheers for this!!

Cool
latest report
Of course as I'm sure you know, Wengen is home to the famous Lauberhorn Men's Downhill (which is the longest downhill course on the World Cup circuit). You can ski the Lauberhorn course (although you'll doubtless find that it takes you a bit longer to do it than the racers Laughing )
snow report
Spike107 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Yes I just noticed that! Around £50 saving...!!! I "think" looking at the PDF on 20% discount on prices it runs to November 30th. Either way I will be booking asap!

Cheers for this!!

Cool

The benefits of snowHeads advice! snowHead
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Spike107 wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:

Cheers for this!!

Cool

The benefits of snowHeads advice! snowHead

Indeed... I shelled out on a new pair of custom fit ski boots 2 weeks ago because of being on here Laughing
snow conditions
Spike107 wrote:
Cheers for the wealth of info once again peeps... sounds like Wengen is a good base for the lessons and meeting up with the rest of the group later on. One more very important question ... the revolving restaurant from James Bond... Laughing which side is this on and is it a "hell raising" black run to get down from it? Ideally we all would like to visit it for obvious reasons but just mindful of the beginners etc.

We will be booking today Very Happy

Revolving restaurant worth the trip, especially with the kids as there are some fun digital / interactive elements in the curated area (video the kids on your phone when they're on the toboggan run experience) . . .restaurant expensive - when we questioned the 5cf for 'tap' water we were greeted with a lovely swiss sneer, however the frites and zuppen are generally ok and worth it to hang around and experience the 360 views.

Beginners / Unconfident intermediates should not attempt the black, it can get icy - it is fairly steep but not long, so doable with strong legs / good technique . . .failing that you can always side slip!
ski holidays
I`ve got a few pics from last season here https://www.flickr.com/photos/taburetka/albums/72157650114372877
snow report
@Belch, I think that all the drinking water at the Schilthorn may have to be bought up by cablecar in which case you can perhaps understand the costs, Birg I think may have piped water.
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
@Belch, I think that all the drinking water at the Schilthorn may have to be bought up by cablecar in which case you can perhaps understand the costs, Birg I think may have piped water.

On a side note they charged for tap water in at least some of the mountain restaurants in Zermatt too for similar reasons.

I did the Schilthorn restaurant and 007 museum one summer and it was well worth the visit. Considering the location I didn't find the food prices ridiculous either, although I am used to Swiss prices now I suppose.

Lauterbrunnen is a very picturesque place to stay, and understandably the inspiration for Rivendell in the Lord of the Rings (more obvious in the summer when the waterfalls are running)
ski holidays
Quote:

the black, it can get icy

It certainly gets "interesting" later in the afternoon on Inferno day... Twisted Evil
latest report
LOL at least they now have the means to piste the run down from Piz Gloria, back in the 70's it was possible for huge moguls to form near the top and then they would ice over, not fun, seriously not fun if you were 8 years old Shocked
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:

Schilthorn def has no piped supply . . .so presume they have a notional cost to cover, I'm sure the margin is made up elsewhere! As Brits we expect free tap water, in a way I'd rather be forced to order mineral water anyway - the Swiss LOVE to charge . . for everything!
snow report
Quote:

possible for huge moguls to form near the top

You haven't been up on Inferno day? Even more fun on 218s...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm after some more advice people...

Ski Schools... I've been in touch with the following company as I like the sound of their 3 day half day 2hour lessons. http://www.grindelwaldsports.ch/en/group-lessons-adults-555.html
Question is, they seem to be in Grindewald area... how long will it take to commute from the Chalet Rosa in Lauterbrunnen to this area?

There are ski schools in Wengen obviously but they seem to be 3 hours a day running into lunchtime for a full 5 days minimum and I'm not sure we want that many for that long if that makes sense.
snow report
Spike107 wrote:

Ski Schools... I've been in touch with the following company as I like the sound of their 3 day half day 2hour lessons. http://www.grindelwaldsports.ch/en/group-lessons-adults-555.html
Question is, they seem to be in Grindewald area... how long will it take to commute from the Chalet Rosa in Lauterbrunnen to this area?

There are ski schools in Wengen obviously but they seem to be 3 hours a day running into lunchtime for a full 5 days minimum and I'm not sure we want that many for that long if that makes sense.

Who do Ski Miguel use? We stayed with Ski Miguel last year in Serre Chevalier and they were great at organising this sort of thing.
snow conditions
[quote="sugarmoma666"]
Spike107 wrote:

sugarmoma666 wrote:
Who do Ski Miguel use? We stayed with Ski Miguel last year in Serre Chevalier and they were great at organising this sort of thing.

Yes we are booking with Ski Miguel this year but it clearly states on the invoice from them to "Please book Ski School Independently"... so it looks like we are on our own this time.
ski holidays
You definitely don't want to be commuting to Grindelwald.

Give Privat in Wengen a ring and see what they can offer you if the Swiss Ski School can't do what you want. http://snowpro.ch/home/

Or Altitude, who also operate in Wengen. http://www.altitude-wengen.com
ski holidays
Spike107 wrote:

The oldest and largest ski school in Wengen is the Swiss ski school (Schweizer Ski-und Snowboardschule). I'm pretty certain you'd be able to book less than 5 days as they also show prices for a single day, but as you say their morning group lessons are 3 hours duration. I don't know if it would suit your friends, but I can highly recommend the Privat skischool in Wengen. As its name suggests they specialise in private lessons for groups of up to 3 people (note their prices shown are for the total number in the group, not per person). They offer the flexibility of whatever length lesson you want and although more expensive than a larger group the rate of learning in such a small group is faster and therefore you probably wouldn't want as many lessons imv. I see that there is another skischool in Wengen Altitude which opened in 2008 with mainly British instructors, but I have no personal experience of them.

As regards the Grindelwaldsports skischool you mentioned you definitely wouldn't want to be commuting from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald! I see that their website says they have a kid's skischool area at the top of Männlichen (which you can reach by cable car from the centre of Wengen), so I guess it's possible that the 2 'intermidiots' might be able to meet their instructor there, but there's no adult beginner suitable area really at the top of Männlichen. I suppose the Grindelwaldsportsskischool might also operate from Kleine Scheidegg (where there is a nursery area for beginners) but it would take considerably longer to reach there than Wengen village from Lauterbrunnen.

Edit: I see that telford_mike has already mentioned Privat and Altitude as the best alternatives to the Swiss skischool if they can't offer what you want, great minds think alike! Laughing
ski holidays
[quote="Spike107"]
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

sugarmoma666 wrote:

Yes we are booking with Ski Miguel this year but it clearly states on the invoice from them to "Please book Ski School Independently"... so it looks like we are on our own this time.

Come to think of it, I don't think they organised ski school lessons. They had an instructor come to the welcome meeting on the first night to take bookings for private lessons.
snow report
Altitude are very good. My friend used them last year.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Spike107 wrote:

The oldest and largest ski school in Wengen is the Swiss ski school (Schweizer Ski-und Snowboardschule). I'm pretty certain you'd be able to book less than 5 days as they also show prices for a single day, but as you say their morning group lessons are 3 hours duration. I don't know if it would suit your friends, but I can highly recommend the Privat skischool in Wengen. As its name suggests they specialise in private lessons for groups of up to 3 people (note their prices shown are for the total number in the group, not per person). They offer the flexibility of whatever length lesson you want and although more expensive than a larger group the rate of learning in such a small group is faster and therefore you probably wouldn't want as many lessons imv. I see that there is another skischool in Wengen Altitude which opened in 2008 with mainly British instructors, but I have no personal experience of them.

As regards the Grindelwaldsports skischool you mentioned you definitely wouldn't want to be commuting from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald! I see that their website says they have a kid's skischool area at the top of Männlichen (which you can reach by cable car from the centre of Wengen), so I guess it's possible that the 2 'intermidiots' might be able to meet their instructor there, but there's no adult beginner suitable area really at the top of Männlichen. I suppose the Grindelwaldsportsskischool might also operate from Kleine Scheidegg (where there is a nursery area for beginners) but it would take considerably longer to reach there than Wengen village from Lauterbrunnen.

Edit: I see that telford_mike has already mentioned Privat and Altitude as the best alternatives to the Swiss skischool if they can't offer what you want, great minds think alike! Laughing

Thanks all again... I shall look into the price of private lessons as an option for the 2 people that have skied before. Like you say, 3x 2 hour private lessons equates to a full 5 day 3 hour group lessons so this could be better. We have one complete beginner also so Altitude looks a good bet also for him.
ski holidays
@Spike107, If you are heading to the region at the end of Feb I would suggest just heading to Mürren and above as its a lot more snow sure than that lower place across the valley called greensville Laughing (Wengen) You also have the chance of keeping your skis on and skiing back to Lauterbrunnen after stopping off at Winteregg for a quick refresh !!

Did I mention our superb ski school - http://www.swiss-snowsports-muerren.ch

https://twitter.com/murrenlover

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 14-11-15 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I hope you visit Bond World at the Schilthorn and venture out to the Piz Gloria View via the 007 Walk of Fame.. When you ski down from the Piz and then take the Riggli chair back to Birg you then must visit the Skyline Walk. (ps...they have just approved after a vote in the canton the go ahead for the Thrill walk at Birg for next year...omg for the summer visitors)

a sweet taste -
http://youtube.com/v/N1NapDLmsOc

I think i should get a job in tourism ??
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
@Spike107, If you are heading to the region at the end of Feb I would suggest just heading to Mürren and above as its a lot more snow sure than that lower place across the valley called greensville Laughing (Wengen) You also have the chance of keeping your skis on and skiing back to Lauterbrunnen after stopping off at Winteregg for a quick refresh !!

Thanks for this Chris, I will look into the Murren side as well...
I was only thinking of Wengen more for lessons as there seems to be more pistes to ski for the guy's that don't require Ski lessons if that makes sense...? The whole group usually meetup after lessons and ski together in the afternoon...How long would it take the advanced skiers take to ski the Murren side? Because you can't ski between Murren and Wengen, I'm trying to avoid the need to jump on trains to meetup at lunch time etc... Very Happy
latest report
Spike107 wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Thanks for this Chris, I will look into the Murren side as well...
I was only thinking of Wengen more for lessons as there seems to be more pistes to ski for the guy's that don't require Ski lessons if that makes sense...? The whole group usually meetup after lessons and ski together in the afternoon...How long would it take the advanced skiers take to ski the Murren side? Because you can't ski between Murren and Wengen, I'm trying to avoid the need to jump on trains to meetup at lunch time etc... Very Happy

Wengen undoubtably best for a mixed ability group. Murren is great, but it has a tendency to the vertical......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy