Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid December - A long weekend - Flying to GVA

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Chamonix might well be mostly closed in early December

As ever the optimist. Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neither optimism nor pessimism are very useful when planning ski holidays, @blahblahblah. A quick glance at the opening dates of the various resorts is helpful, though. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could also take a look at staying in Chatel, which plans weekend opening on the first weekends of Dec, if the snow has arrived. However, I wouldn't book any accommodation until the snow falls and the openings are confirmed. Anyway, there'll be accommodation available at last minute at that time.

Chatel is 90-100 mins by car from GVA, 10 mins longer than Morzine, but with fewer jams as you also get the option of going the Swiss side and taking the motorway. As Driz hinted, the skiing is only 123m lower at the highest point of Chatel, when compared with Avoriaz.

Between Chatel, Morzine and Avoriaz, it really depends which type of village takes your fancy. Chatel is prettier and more traditional. Morzine more lively. Avoriaz is high, purpose-built and a fairly unique design and atmosphere (I like it there).

Flaine is also a good choice for early snow close to Geneva. Again, I wouldn't book ahead.

I would leave it until a few days before, then see what your options are wrt where the snow has arrived.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, Ardent or Prodains both better than Super Morzine that early in the season (probably). Prodains is the main non-road access to Avoriaz so I am guessing it's more likely to be open.

Hotels easier to find in Morzine (there are only a handful in Avoriaz).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz looks like one of the only resorts planning to be open on 11 December when the OP hopes to start skiing. St Gervais and many others not till 19th. Big early snow could change things, as could poor conditions but Tignes provides a pretty reliable back up without a huge amount more driving.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Avoriaz looks like one of the only resorts planning to be open on 11 December when the OP hopes to start skiing. St Gervais and many others not till 19th. Big early snow could change things, as could poor conditions but Tignes provides a pretty reliable back up without a huge amount more driving.

3V are planning on opening 5th December so that is also on my radar. If all else fails then Tignes will be the fallback although I'm trying to avoid the schlep from GVA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gaza, 3Vs surely not significantly closer/quicker?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, La Tania showing as 182km and 2h 20m. Tignes is 221km and 2h 56m. @chocksaway said it could be done quicker but using he same parameters then 3V could also be quicker. The other factor is we are going to EK in March and thought that I could use this trip to try somewhere else.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaza, yeah, fair enough.

Just don't book accom until you know where's snow...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Tania is two hours if you use the motorways.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
Just don't book accom until you know where's snow...

I won't. Just lining up some options at the moment. Very Happy

I think I have whittled down my options:-

Avoriaz but possibly staying in Morzine or Les Prodains as I prefer hotels to apartments although recommendations for Avoriaz would be welcome.
Chamonix/Les Houches/Argeniere - if they are open on 11th and there is good cover.
Courmaeyeur - Haven't been to Italy in long time. Lots of good hotel options at a good price and it is due to open on 28th November.
La Tania for 3V - Got an option on a cheap and cheerful chalet hotel.
Tignes/ Val d'Isere - Suggestions for Tignes would be appreciated.
Cervinia - Been open the last 2 weekends and opens for the season this weekend. The webcams show a reasonable amount of cover.

Now to sit and follow the Snow Reports - weather - snow conditions thread. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, If Avoriaz, staying at Les Prodains has ski-wise logistical advantages but you'll be restricted bar and restaurant wise.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found out that the WC Races are on in Val d'Isere the weekend we are heading out and wondering if it would mean the resort will be busy and carry a good atmosphere. I'm sure Oscar would enjoy seeing some of the racing. What are the thoughts about being in a resort when WC races are on? Too busy? Too disruptive? Or good overall experience?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check what date/time they start and finish. The traffic out post-race can be horrendous (not been to VDI but les Houches was bad after the Kandahar).

For me, like motor racing, a sport that works much better on the telly!

Edited to add, at least it looks like you'll be ok on the snow front wherever you go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've taken the plunge and booked Tignes. The WC races were an attraction as I've never been to one and this was a great opportunity to rectify that. @snowdave, point taken on viewing but I enjoy the atmosphere at events like this. When I took Oscar to his first game at Murrayfield a couple of years ago he was spellbound by the crowds and sideshows. Even during the game he was more interested in what was going on around him than he was in the game. To be fair to him Scotland were crap so that was understandable. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

As I said on the other thread I had been more inclined towards going somewhere closer to GVA but I do like the EK and when I was discussing it over dinner on Friday night with Oscar and he said "Well daddy, it is better to drive a bit further for the best skiing". An old head on 8 year old shoulders.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-11-15 8:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Gaza wrote:
I had been more inclined towards going somewhere closer to GVA but I do like the EK and when I was discussing it over dinner on Friday night with Oscar and he said "Well daddy, it is better to drive a bit further for the best skiing". An old head on a 8 year old shoulders.

Excellent Toofy Grin
snow report
@Gaza, just ski over for the day. Great atmosphere
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy