Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Topo GPS apps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is there a market leader/obvious choice for a Topo app for planning routes, marking waypoints etc?

I'm playing with IGN's Outdoors app (by Roadtour) but it seems quite basic and doesn't have advanced features that I've seen on US-centric apps where they show you what terrain is visible from a specified location.

This is not a debate of paper maps versus battery-powered tech: I'll always have my paper maps.

France, Switzerland and northern Italy are the areas of use.

Cheers for any pointers and good/bad experiences...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Oruxmaps, very happy with it. It is rich in features, lots of maps to choose from/import. Use it mainly for mtb and on the sea, occasionally also for ski touring.
I believe it is only available for android though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends what you want. I use OsmAnd ("Open Street Map - Android") which is a terrible name for a free bit of software which may have the sort of maps you have in mind, all open source.

There are catches, not least that if you want regular updates to the maps then you need to pay a couple of quid for OsmAnd + and I think the contour lines / hill shading plugin costs extra too. It does not to my knowledge have the "what is visible from where" thing, just quite a lot of interesting maps, including ski resort stuff. You can plan routes on it and import and export anything, and it's good for cycling, sailing and driving as well as walking around the UK at least. But it sounds like you'd be after something more application specific.

For reasons I can't fathom it does have an apple variant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MapOut is a basic topo map for iOS which I think uses open street map, it covers the whole world and you download the detailed map of the area you want for offline use foc. It's easy to send yourself GPs files to use with the maps. I use ign maps in France with an annual subscription. There is a Swiss version available free but it is online only.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

map out. This is the end of the Courmayeur ski area. Shows runs, lifts, and walking trails.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Though I use view ranger now on my mobile for many climbs I used to use MemoryMap navigator to not only visualise the climb but also to download waypoints to my garmin gps.

My big concern with view ranger is that though I can get very good maps of France and the UK I cannot find any maps of the dolomites. But the 1:25000 paper maps from Kompass and a silva compass appear to work well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMHO: One of the best mapping/tracking apps out there (Android only) is AlpineQuest
It's a free app, but worth every penny of the ~£5 upgrade for the slightly more functional paid version

It allows you to download a choice of Maps > Bing(5 types - roads;aerial etc)/Google(9 types, including bike/ski overlay)/OpenStreet etc, and if you do happen to have copies of MemoryMap 2004 QCT maps, you can have the whole of the OS mapping on your phone too!

When you chose the Google Terrain Maps for instance (much as the post above) you can then include the bike overlay, which overlays ski-lifts & trails on the map that is on show.

You can download the relevant map whilst you have a wifi/data connection and use this map offline (if you're out of range; to save costs etc)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy