Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The annual multi trip ski insurance hunt!

Poster: A snowHead
I have been inputting details into various sites and am horrified at the quotes which are coming out. We want two old (67 and 6Cool peoples cover for annual cover (multi trip but only one or two skiing trip) to include heli skiing and permit an existing medical condition (entirely stable and not proving an issue and not specifically insurance rated last year) and it is coming out at £650 plus!! The old ski club insurance which covered all of that was just over £400 for last year. Who's making all gthe claims which is causing these premiums to rise to sharply?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Incidentally in 20 years of Ski Club insurance we have never made a claim.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone have any experience of skicover.com?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cad99uk, Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think over 65s and heliskiing with a previous medical condition and it's pretty obvious where the loading comes from. £400 for 2 people sounds like the anomaly to me. Look on the bright side the difference is probably only the cost of a few thousand ft of extra vert.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have input our data to several companies and am horrified by the quotes. Suddenly the very restricted policy wording on the SCGB website is looking more attractive and the quote is half of what the other companies are offering so I am checking carefully what cover for personal possessions I have under our household policy and will be checking the SC wording again to see that it offers what we really need which is cover for heli skiing, inclusive cover for my (largely dormant) medical condition, sufficient cancellation cover, rescue and repatriation if necessary and medical cover while overseas in the event of accident or unexpected and sudden illness plus multip annual cover so I dont need to think about insurance for another year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk wrote:
Our MPI premium has doubled this year. No change in circumstances, same age band, no medical issues, same cover. Checked with MPI who confirmed that website producing right number although still in discussion with them.

... and they have not been sending out reminders. Will probably go elsewhere.

Just checked mine from last year... only bought the Single "Standard" policy last year which was £22.... just checked for next year's ski trip and it's now £53 for the same policy Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use BMC annual multi trip as it covers off piste without a guide.

It's expensive, but I made a couple of curtailment (due to injury) claims this year and they were pretty hassle free.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes - I checked last years SCGB policy schedule and the cost was indeed in the £400s, £440 to be exact. This year's ski club quote system is showing less although as I have said before I some concerns about the cover but need to spend another boring hour or two to see if it does cover the things that really concern me and if so is the cover financially sufficient should the worst (whatever that may be) happen!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My SCGB renewal for Global multi-trip with Heli-skiing type activities, was £70 less than last year Very Happy

As far as I can tell it covers evening I need, and offers higher levels of payment for many items.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone know where to buy Carte Neige from either online or in Chamonix?
I have looked at the FFS website but you only seem to be able yo buy online if you are part of a French ski club.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This got me thinking as there have been many times I have been off piste without a guide and effectively been uninsured so I had a look at the MPI site and got these quotes for a 50 yr old for annual multi trip worldwide inc usa / canada
Economy £136
Standard £209
Excel £266
I'm used to getting annual multi trip for the whole family for less than £100
This reduced to £82 / £126 / £161 for European cover only
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nicoledan1, you can join a club on the FFS website as part of the process, it's obligatory. In Chamonix any ESF office will happily sell it to you, and choose the club for you (local Cham one) which will cost you a few euros more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
This got me thinking as there have been many times I have been off piste without a guide and effectively been uninsured so I had a look at the MPI site and got these quotes for a 50 yr old for annual multi trip worldwide inc usa / canada
Economy £136
Standard £209
Excel £266
I'm used to getting annual multi trip for the whole family for less than £100
This reduced to £82 / £126 / £161 for European cover only

I think I got the standard. I think the extra £26 is well worth it for an insurer who clearly supports sensible off piste skiing. Snowcard are much more expensive IME.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been with Insure and Go for a long time and have had no issues with claims when two of my sons had wrist breaks on consecutive trips - snowboarders !
Part of the reason for using them is that they covered the kids for free eventhough the youngest lives with his mother.
As they ave grown up, that only leaves one needing cover with I&Go, so I'm in the market for a new providor especially as I'll be spending more than their 24 days skiing this season
I have house insurance with Direct Line thought I havent researched the level of cover as yet due to having specific cover with I&Go
snow conditions
I have always bought Carre Neige when buying my 3 day ski pass in Argentiere. Just belts and braces as also have UK insurance. Just do not want any hassle especilly a I ski off-piste by myself. Usually do about 6 or so 3 day weekends - this year is 7 Madeye-Smiley
Have thought about season pass - discounted before 30th November - before. This year decided to buy one, but found no option for Carre Neige - so investigated Carte Neige.
Just bought a CN for Eur 52 (Primo cover) from Ski Club du Commerce in St Etienne. Was not completely confident about what I was buying!
Anyway turned up today - looks Kosher, i.e. reading the Claims T&C's appears to cover me for the Grand Montets. Maybe should have gone for the Medium which I belive covers medical costs.
Will by my first Season Pass (in 16 years!!!). Regards to all
latest report
I also have to hunt down the best multi-trip insurance each year. This year I have taken out Austrian Alpine Club membership for their mountain rescue insurance and then backed this up with an Alpha Travel multi-trip snowsports insurance. The AAC are recommended elsewhere in these insurance threads and need no further input from me but I've not previously seen Alpha Travel get a mention. I think they are worth a look.
snow report
OK - slight tweak on requirements - anyone found an annual policy that will routinely cover over 17 ski days per year/trip - say up to 24.

I was a long term user of Direct Travel until they dropped their days. Not really bothered about off-piste as I'm predominantly concerned about a trip to N America that may extend over 17 days though not all of those will be skiing and I'll use the "marked runs" definition and/or take my own chances if tempted outside the ropes. Rescue costs aren't a big deal over there (inbounds) but AAC is unlikely to cover worst case med bills with their sum insured.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Insure and Go works every time for me. The Gold level gives 24 skiing days cover; both on and off piste. I pay just £80 for annual multi trip worldwide. Lots of other good cover included such as supplier going bust etc.
snow report
I have a feeling that my Amex policy doesn't restrict days on the slopes. Might be worth looking at them. My annual worldwide multi trip policy last year was £128 including winter sports. However off piste requires a guide.
https://insurance.americanexpress.co.uk/travel-insurance/annual/?linknav=ukiis-tr-Worldwide-sidemenu-CoverLevels-Annual

However, for our 37 day skiing stretch on France this New year, I went to MPI for me and Mr P and bought a joint single trip policy for under £70 for two. Ages me-50😕 (two weeks ago, still not sure that can be right!!) and Mr P 55, with no preexisting medical conditions.
So, despite the fact that I may be over insured, maybe the moral of the story is still to hunt out single trip policies if your trip involves skiing and have a non skiing annual policy for the rest of your hols.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, and if you are going to rent a car, try icarinsurance to cover your excess and LDW etc.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

OK - slight tweak on requirements - anyone found an annual policy that will routinely cover over 17 ski days per year/trip - say up to 24.

LV gave us our best deal this year, 31 days winter sports participation including a reasonable level of offpiste, and covering our pre-existing health conditions.
snow report
Ill have to look into my insurance properly this year. I'm normally a 6 days a year kinda skiier but this season is looking to be far more than that.
Ill need something around the 20 day mark.
latest report
letsgetpiste wrote:
Ill have to look into my insurance properly this year. I'm normally a 6 days a year kinda skiier but this season is looking to be far more than that.

Same here. Got a TO deal booked in Jan, then the Birthday Bash then VT yet to be booked sometime in March. Am confused dot......
snow report
sequoiaboard wrote:
letsgetpiste wrote:

Same here. Got a TO deal booked in Jan, then the Birthday Bash then VT yet to be booked sometime in March. Am confused dot......

Let me know how you get on. I have looked briefly at compare the market and its only when i get into the fine print that i've found a limit to somewhere around 10 days skiing on a lot of policies. Not much use to me when I specify multiple ski trips!
snow report
Timc wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

LV gave us our best deal this year, 31 days winter sports participation including a reasonable level of offpiste, and covering our pre-existing health conditions.

MPI brokers.
ski holidays
MPI quote system still down since I looked last night.

We went to LV after MPI doubled their price and offered no reduction even though we were a repeat customer with no claims, no change in our details.
ski holidays
I always phone them at renewal time as I've usually got something that needs answering. 31 days total will not cover all of my skiing this winter. MPI is a per trip limit as opposed to a total.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agreed. However, they still doubled the premium even though we had numerous telephone calls to and from MPI.
ski holidays
Has MPI(and other insurers for that matter) had some "hefty" claims to pay out over the past 12 months to cause such and increase in premiums Puzzled
ski holidays
I think MPI changed underwriters in the summer. Based on what they quoted me I think their good off piste cover is now coming at a price.
snow conditions
Quote:
After years in the insurance industry I cant stress strongly enough to contributors to this and other forums how important really good cover is

Yeah, funny that.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, MPI are 50% dearer for us than LV before adding on the premium for pre-existing medical conditions. MPI does provide much wider cover and more winter sports days but it's cover that we don't need so the best value choice for us is LV.
latest report
@Timc, we usually deduct cancellation as for a road trip to our own apartment everything can be moved to a different date. We have 'free' cover with a bank account if we really need it.
snow report
Thanks for this re: LV.

Our existing policy came up for renewal but they were no longer offering winter sports, so had to commence a search (again.....) The premiums on like-for-like cover seem to have shot up, so after going through numerous quotes, getting quite frustrated, checked here and then tried LV. It's still a lot more than before, but is their highest level of cover, with a 5* Defaqto score, 12 months multi-trip, family of 4 (including the 21 year-old whom we'd had to insure separately for the past couple of years), with 31 days winter sports and covering an existing condition (Diabetes 2) - £236 for the year. Better cover for less than other quotes offered. Of course, you only know how good an insurance policy is, if you have to claim, and we never have yet. Touch wood....
snow conditions
I recently discovered that our annual multitrip policy with 45 days winter sports excluded search and rescue costs in the small print at the end! Apart from that I'm very happy with it so set about finding the most cost effective way adding the rescue cover.

There is: Carte Neige as previously discussed, DSV Aktiv (German ski insurance, very cheap but you really need a € bank account and speak German), Austrian Alpine Club (twice the cost of DSV Aktiv for less cover) and then I found Dolomite-Emergency.

Dolomiti Emergency is €22 a year and is ONLY for search and rescue costs, including helicopter, throughout Europe. It covers anyone doing anything, ie professionals and competitive sportsmen, and for €8 you can add your dog! http://dolomitiemergency.it/

I eventually managed to join and purchase online but if this is for you you will need to generate an Italian tax code (Code Fiscale). I eventually discovered one that worked for UK residents http://www.nonsolocap.it/codice-fiscale/ where you will need to enter Z114 in the Foreign State box (province code EE will come up as well).

Good deal for us, for those going out there next month you can also buy it in the tourist office in Arabba as well as many other places.

Kev
latest report
Quote:
@PeDaSp, I would check the current terms and conditions for the gold policy. Section R6 defines winter sports and is very confusing:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What you are covered for
Bobsleighing*, cat skiing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing*, freestyle skiing*, glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m), glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*, heli-skiing*, ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*, ice fishing, ice hockey*, luge on snow/ice*, monoskiing, off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management), recreational ski or snowboard racing, skeletons*, ski acrobatics*, ski bob racing*, ski racing or training (non-professional)*, ski stunting*, ski touring (with a guide), ski/snowboard fun parks*, skiing, snow mobiling*, snowboarding and tobogganing.

So downhill skiing and fun parks are marked but off piste, recreational ski racing and skiing are not marked with an * for which the following exclusion applies:
Quote:
Quote:
2. The increased medical excess of £250 which applies to
those activities marked with an * in the above list. For
these activities cover under the Personal accident and
Personal liability sections also does not apply.

I'm not sure I want to trust your interpretation and will raise a query before renewing my policy.

Insure and Go have removed "downhill skiing" from the list (page 30) : https://www.insureandgo.com/Content/downloads/IAG_MF_PW_STD_1015.pdf
ski holidays
How much are individuals paying for their either single or multiple trips?
snow report
jzBun wrote:
Quote:
@PeDaSp, I would check the current terms and conditions for the gold policy. Section R6 defines winter sports and is very confusing:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What you are covered for
Bobsleighing*, cat skiing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing*, freestyle skiing*, glacier walking or trekking (under 2000m), glacier walking or trekking (over 2000m but under 6000m)*, heli-skiing*, ice climbing under 100m (fully supervised)*, ice fishing, ice hockey*, luge on snow/ice*, monoskiing, off piste skiing/snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by resort management), recreational ski or snowboard racing, skeletons*, ski acrobatics*, ski bob racing*, ski racing or training (non-professional)*, ski stunting*, ski touring (with a guide), ski/snowboard fun parks*, skiing, snow mobiling*, snowboarding and tobogganing.

So downhill skiing and fun parks are marked but off piste, recreational ski racing and skiing are not marked with an * for which the following exclusion applies:
Quote:
Quote:
2. The increased medical excess of £250 which applies to
those activities marked with an * in the above list. For
these activities cover under the Personal accident and
Personal liability sections also does not apply.

I'm not sure I want to trust your interpretation and will raise a query before renewing my policy.

Insure and Go have removed "downhill skiing" from the list (page 30) : https://www.insureandgo.com/Content/downloads/IAG_MF_PW_STD_1015.pdf

At least that clarifies the position but what defines a "funpark"? Many of them have a beginners skicross course or simply a run with rollers (like the one above Meribel). Would you have no personal liability cover while using one of these? It is quite common for the ski school to take classes down these for fun. I think further clarification is required.
ski holidays
PeDaSp wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Insure and Go works every time for me. The Gold level gives 24 skiing days cover; both on and off piste. I pay just £80 for annual multi trip worldwide. Lots of other good cover included such as supplier going bust etc.

As I said on the previous page DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE! The premium might be cheap- but you just try making a claim........
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy