Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The annual multi trip ski insurance hunt!

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought annual multi-trip cover for the family from Snowcover. If you call them they can offer 45 day long trips with 45 days of skiing per trip, and 60 day lonf trips with 60 days skiing per trip. Veyr reasonably priced, and excellent customer service.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Duplo, Snowcover? Doesn't come up on Google. Link?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Duplo, bump
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that he means 'Skicover'.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike S, ta...I'll look for that
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, Hi, sorry, my mistake.. Yes skicover.
www.skicover.com
D
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Note that the underwriter of Skicover is in Bulgaria. I think this means that if there is a dispute over a claim you may have to be prepared to exhaust their complaints process in Sofia before the FSCS or Financial Ombudsman will consider it.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has made a successful claim with them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ecureuil, you always have to exhaust a complaints process before going to the ombudsman
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Duplo, interesting. Reviews seem very positive though I did see one from 5 months ago that said "Unable to make a claim, the claim company has gone bust and transefered the claime to ANO. No action in 3 months."
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're with LV and are set to auto-renew then you should phone and cancel the renewal. Then go to their website and book a new policy instead, and you'll receive 15% discount. You cannot get this discount on the phone or on auto-renewal -- I spoke to LV today and they confirmed this.

Bit cheeky of LV, but I'll stick with them as they seem to have the best definition of "off piste".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

but I'll stick with them as they seem to have the best definition of "off piste".

What is their definition?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zaphod424 wrote:
Quote:

but I'll stick with them as they seem to have the best definition of "off piste".

What is their definition?

Am I covered to ski off piste?

Yes. If you’ve added winter sports cover to your LV= travel insurance policy, you’re covered to ski or snowboard off piste as long as you stay within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and follow the ski patrol guidelines.

https://www.lv.com/travel-insurance/winter-sports-covered-under-your-travel-insurance
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HilbertSpace wrote:
If you're with LV and are set to auto-renew then you should phone and cancel the renewal. Then go to their website and book a new policy instead, and you'll receive 15% discount. You cannot get this discount on the phone or on auto-renewal -- I spoke to LV today and they confirmed this.

Bit cheeky of LV, but I'll stick with them as they seem to have the best definition of "off piste".
That's useful (and annoying) to know. Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ecureuil, you always have to exhaust a complaints process before going to the ombudsman
Agreed, but doing it in Sofia, possibly in Bulgarian, is going to be a bit more challenging than if you have an issue with a UK insurer
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HilbertSpace,
Lv.com wrote:
you’re covered to ski or snowboard off piste as long as you stay within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort

Which just brings us back to a thread from earlier this year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156838 (resort boundaries ??).
Just what are "resort boundaries" in Europe? The discussion ended without any clear conclusions.
snow report
Quote:

you’re covered to ski or snowboard off piste as long as you stay within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and follow the ski patrol guidelines.

Yeah this isn't a good definition in my book, at least not for European skiing. And even so, what if you want to ski back country in the US or Canada? You wouldn't be covered even with a guide.

The best definition I've seen is coverwise, which just says "Off Piste Skiing and Snow Boarding not against the advice of the local mountain authorities" in the list of activities that are covered, as well as heli-skiing, glacier skiing, ski parks and non-FIS racing. The only caveat is "In the United States of America and Canada, winter sports outside the defined boundaries of a resort unless accompanied by a locally qualified guide" is not covered, ie outside of the boundaries you do need to be with a guide to be covered.

This seems like the best definition because it accounts for both continents, in Europe you're covered off piste anywhere, and in North America you're covered in the resort boundaries, and outside of them if you're with a guide.

This is the policy wording if you want to read it:
https://www.coverwise.co.uk/documents/UK/5/nonmed/Silver/6.02/ScheduleWording.pdf

just do a Ctrl+F and search for 'piste' to get to the list.
latest report
Quote:
You’re covered to ski or snowboard off piste as long as you stay within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and follow the ski patrol guidelines
I wonder if the numpties who write this utter tosh have ever skied, snowboarded, or even visited a ski resort?
snow report
SCGB renewal quote for annual European cover (inc off piste) for two of us is £232.

Worldwide cover (which we need for a two week Japan trip next Feb) is £495. A fortnight's cover just for Japan is £423... Confused

Skicover.com is only £276 - but only includes 21 days' cover - vs 45 days' (IIRC?) cover with SCGB.

It's looking like a dear do rolling eyes It's not too many years since we were paying under £100 with Insure and Go - albeit for less ski days covered than we need now.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Do take a look at the Revolut travel insurance. I paid juts £72 for annual cover to include winter sports, with unlimited days of skiing etc. You can add a travel companion for an extra fee. Off piste is included with a guide. As always, read the T&Cs.

*Revolut is a online pre-paid debit card in multiple currencies. The £72 in actually for premium membership, and you get lots of extras as well.
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:

I'm also with LV. For car insurance as well as travel. In my experience it's always worth phoning them before renewing. Saved £70 on their recent car renewal quote.
ski holidays
@Poogle, unfortunately Revolut changed their underwriters earlier in the year and so you can no longer add a travel companion. Will probably look at Barclays travel packs now for travel insurance and RAC and cancel my existing Britannia Rescue cover.
snow conditions
sno trax wrote:
@Poogle, unfortunately Revolut changed their underwriters earlier in the year and so you can no longer add a travel companion. Will probably look at Barclays travel packs now for travel insurance and RAC and cancel my existing Britannia Rescue cover.

Many thanks for that update. I guess for some, it may still be a good deal on an individual basis. I'll take a look at Barclays as well. Little Angel
ski holidays
Staysure seem to offer relatively cheap winter sports cover. However, when reading their policy documentation ([url=] https://travelinsurance.staysure.co.uk/staysure-documents/docs/policy-wording-by-quote-creation-date?creationDate=2022-10-10T14:51:35.070Z&domain=STS&underwriter=GLI&product=CORE&quoteid=21596310&policyTypeOfDoc=AMT_NON_UK_REGION[/url]), the winter sports cover option seems only to cover items such as equipment, lift passes, slope closure, avalanches, etc. Would this be because items such as personal accident, personal liability, repatriation, medical treatment, etc. are already covered under the main sections of the policy, in which case the winter sports cover is not necessarily required unless you want coverage of equipment, lift passes, etc, or would personal accident, personal liability, repatriation, medical cover, etc. be excluded if the winter sports cover is not taken out? Under “sports and activities”, winter sports don’t appear to be included in either the accepted or the excluded lists of activities.
snow report
Looks like I'll need to have another look this year - 50% increase on the renewal quote for SCGB - okay it was just south of £100 last year for EU multi-trip but that is still a sizeable increase!
snow conditions
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Staysure seem to offer relatively cheap winter sports cover. However, when reading their policy documentation ([url=] https://travelinsurance.staysure.co.uk/staysure-documents/docs/policy-wording-by-quote-creation-date?creationDate=2022-10-10T14:51:35.070Z&domain=STS&underwriter=GLI&product=CORE&quoteid=21596310&policyTypeOfDoc=AMT_NON_UK_REGION[/url]), the winter sports cover option seems only to cover items such as equipment, lift passes, slope closure, avalanches, etc. Would this be because items such as personal accident, personal liability, repatriation, medical treatment, etc. are already covered under the main sections of the policy, in which case the winter sports cover is not necessarily required unless you want coverage of equipment, lift passes, etc, or would personal accident, personal liability, repatriation, medical cover, etc. be excluded if the winter sports cover is not taken out? Under “sports and activities”, winter sports don’t appear to be included in either the accepted or the excluded lists of activities.

There are more serious issues with Staysure when it comes to skiing:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156081&start=280#4945004
ski holidays
Multi-trip seem reasonable and specifically mention off-piste skiing without a guide as being covered
ski holidays
‘21 -‘22 Puffin Insurance - £125 for annual, worldwide, winter sports which includes 17(?! Crying or Very sad ) days skiing.
This year they want £238 for the same deal! Shocked
I have until tomorrow to trawl for a new policy. (Gosh I hate the insurance trawls, soooo tedious. Sad )
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:
@mountainaddict, Do take a look at the Revolut travel insurance. I paid juts £72 for annual cover to include winter sports, with unlimited days of skiing etc. You can add a travel companion for an extra fee. Off piste is included with a guide. As always, read the T&Cs.

*Revolut is a online pre-paid debit card in multiple currencies. The £72 in actually for premium membership, and you get lots of extras as well.

This sounds great, I don't go off piste. I looked for the terms and conditions but couldn't find them. Do you know if this includes personal liability? Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have come across Avanti Travel Insurance, who are particularly good with pre-existing medical conditions. Interestingly their Europe cover doesn't include Spain - no idea why not.
Also cover trips up to 50 days - only 17 for winter sports

https://www.avantitravelinsurance.co.uk
snow report
used insure and go for years and they were ok, had a few claims no problem. Last year premium went through the roof (COVID I think), anyway switched to skiclub platinum (as I'm a member anyway) worked out about £200 on top of membership for 2 of us about what we paid I&G previously. not had to claim yet so hope that's ok
snow conditions
Great thread as I’ve just started looking today
MPI standard annual Europe was £178 approx and worldwide annual inc Canada was £420 approx

Looked at Ski Cover which is a lot less but it says something about off piste being covered ‘as long as guidelines are followed’ which always worries me as it’s a bit ambiguous. I’ve not seen details about that yet will have a proper look later on tonight when I get home from work.

I might have to go for the SCGB one this year but I’ve not got a Worldwide price from them yet

I’ve been with the BMC last 2 years as it covers all the activities I do besides skiing so I might just stick with them.
ski holidays
I had LV premier last year, but this year's premium was up 20% to £155.

This will obviously not suit everyone's needs, but I'm only skiing 2 weeks this year so just got a quote from Staysure for £55!

It covers:

Glacier skiing
Guided cross-country skiing (Nordic skiing)
Ice sailing/ice windsurfing*
Ice-skating (outdoor)
Mono-skiing (on-piste)
Skiing or snowboarding (off-piste on recognised and authorised areas only)
Skiing or snowboarding (on-piste)
Sleigh pulled by reindeer* (when driven by an experienced driver provided by the organiser only)
Snowshoeing

That premium also includes coverage for 4 pre-existing medical conditions.
latest report
@mozwold, there are concerns about Staysure's off piste cover:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4947631&highlight=staysure#4947631
snow report
@Layne, Hi, again for me it's of limited concern - I occasionally drift between pistes if it's possible but that's all. And both my weeks are going to be in the Dollies (Pre BB and then Madonna di C) .

As I said, won't be suitable for everyone.
snow report
@mozwold, sure, just thought I'd mention it.

Reviews always seem very good from what I've seen.
snow report
Having had my flight to Geneva from Birmingham today cancelled by Easyjet (despite the weather in the Midlands being fine, so presumably due to operational reasons and planes not being where they should be), I'd encourage everyone to read their insurance policy cover more carefully than I clearly didn't when I took out my LV policy earlier this year.

My "essential" policy doesn't offer any cover in the event of flights being cancelled by the airline. Absolutely nothing. Their "premier" policy does, but obviously with some restrictions and excess to pay.

I can't even claim it was in the REALLY fine print, as it was in the "general policy information" although not obvious from the contents.

Please don't make the same mistake I did. Go and have a read of your policy now. Thanks and if you've got an "essential"-ly useless policy from LV like me, you're welcome Laughing
ski holidays
Very useful thanks. I was thinking of downgrading to the Essential cover on renewal this month. I have read through the terms and hadn't noticed this.
snow report
Easily done. It's pretty clever on their part, but it's still on me. Glad to have saved you from making the same mistake at the very least @Jehu Little Angel
ski holidays
I've used skicover annual policy for a few years now, never needed to claim.
I asked them how did they know how many days that I had been skiing each year, they said they didn't/couldn't know, so with a 30 day policy, if I had already had 30 days worth of trips without claims then pranged myself on the eosb, they had no policy in place to find out if I had already used up my allowance.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, What have Easyjet done?

What costs are you looking for the insurance to cover - did you get another flight (more expensive I guess) or lose days skiing?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy