Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes needs a new blue

Poster: A snowHead
Given the investment in Les Deux Alpes in a blue run back to resort, is there anyone else out there who agrees with me that there needs to be a more direct way back to Lavachet from the top of Toviere. I enjoy Trolles but the wife is terrified of the thought of having to negotiate it, even though it's not a particularly difficult black, and the alternative is bubble down or a bit of a slog via Val Claret.

It means a day out in Val has to factor in the return journey, which is always nice to do stood up on skis rather than sat down in a bubble. It would also make Le Brevieres more accessible.

Does anyone know if the Tignes authorities have ever looked into an easier way back to Lavachet from Toviere
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why don't you go skiing somewhere else? just a thought...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied many places over the years, as we now tend to go at Xmas, Tignes is as snow sure as you can get. Also thinking about potentially buying a small pad.

It's not a big deal but I just thought it would add to the resort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First couple of times I went to Tignes I thought the same thing. The thought of trolles at the end of the day meant I took the bubble. I did not mind but I did get some stick from the better skiing lads in the group.
Now I have improved, trolles is no longer a challenge (even at the end of a long day). But there will be people who would probably enjoy a steady cruise back to le lac.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But to get to Lavachet you don't even need to ski the steep bit. There's an escape route past the first little pitch, then you cut off (skiers) right. Most of Trolles is very benign, it's just the black piste markers which put people off.

If you do cut off right you can cross onto the nursery slope to escape the rest of the steep bit.

I'm not really sure where a blue piste could go....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
agree most of Trolles isn't that bad, perhaps a red run for the most part. That last bit is steep though, I remember it well as it was my second black run! Can't say I enjoyed it at the time lol.

a nice easy blue to get you from that side into Le Lac at the end of the day with tired legs would be nice. As @HoneyBunny, says, I'm not sure were it would go though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will leave you to explain that to the missus, while I giggle quietly in the background. I'm not sure you understand the female psyche. It could be a dead flat field, but, " if it's lined with black marker posts, I can't bloody ski it" Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why is that a black run? In Chamonix it would be blue.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember coming down Trolles with a bunch of Snowheads a few years ago when one was having a crisis of confidence being helped down by Gavin from TDC. At that point Tarquin quipped "nearly there just the steep bit to go" Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're killjoys for putting those barriers up at the bottom. I used to get some serious speed down there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Coco, Just sneak her onto it and tell her it's a blue.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HoneyBunny wrote:
@Coco, Just sneak her onto it and tell her it's a blue.

Blue and black look the same with goggles on anyway Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Trolles is a black alright. I wouldn't be encouraging weak or nervous skiers down it when it is icy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JamesN wrote:
They're killjoys for putting those barriers up at the bottom. I used to get some serious speed down there.

Pretty sure they did it because someone died on it. But I did find it massive fun to straightline down, and also to watch others doing it whicl I had a pint in my hand sat outside the Loop bar.

I find Trolles to be a lovely run; it's not a black though, aside from the last bit (which in itself is OK with a huge run off). Saying that, the bit just before the steep is fairly narrow and at the end of the day can get pretty rutted and icy, so I can see why beginners and early inters probably would struggle with a bit (it's often been a chore to get past a few people just standing there looking nervous or ploughing down through it). The part off to Lavachet past the beginners area still has to navigate the narrow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Coco, you could always stay in a different part of Tignes?
snow conditions
Thanks for all the responses guys. As I said earlier, it's not really a big deal, but I thought it was worth a discussion given the development in AdH.

Such a run would actually give a continuous blue loop all the way around the resort, make the Le Lac side more accessible from Val and maybe take away some of the heavy traffic from the Val Claret side.

So I take all your points, apart from convincing the wife that it's only a little bit black, i do prefer the steeper runs myself, but feel that Tignes may be an all ability friendlier resort with this run.

However, I love Tignes, and will continue to come back to my fave resort, blue run or not snowHead
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
I remember coming down Trolles with a bunch of Snowheads a few years ago when one was having a crisis of confidence being helped down by Gavin from TDC. At that point Tarquin quipped "nearly there just the steep bit to go" Very Happy Very Happy

I remember it well Embarassed it was a white out as I recall
snow report
Tignes must have the easiest runs back to resort of any area I've skied. Trolles isn't a black more a challenging red (in places).

Great ski area, much better skiing than its noisy neighbour IMO, but it's not particularly demanding piste skiing, quality early cold and early season snow too.......shame it's not a weekend destination (not from Leeds anyway).
snow report
Well, I agree completely with Coco: that run down back to Lac beside/under the Tovier gondola has a nasty middle bit that is steep and narrow, often has a couple of nasty bumps in it, and so is usually full of anxious intermediates wishing they had taken the bubble down after all.
A simple bit of work with a bulldozer and a few sticks of dynamite could easily construct a decent easy descent.
But that's not what Tignes is all about, is it?
If you want a big ski area with easy home slopes, then go the three valleys.
Or take the lift down - nothing to be ashamed about - often the sensible thing to do at the end of a long hard day.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, can't remember tbh. Happy dayz though Happy
snow report
I noticed in April the top of piste H is now a red. I'm guessing they want more people to take the bubble down to Le Lac and get the bus to Val Claret to reduce the mayhem skiing down at the end of the day.
snow report
JamesN wrote:
I noticed in April the top of piste H is now a red.

There is a new route to skiers right, which is a blue, and cuts out the red section.
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, I guess I just wasn't paying attention properly. Little Angel
latest report
Trolles has become worse since they started putting barriers in to stop people straightlining it... Now it gets much more mogulled than before.
snow report
@fullenglish, ? Moguls are good for you Happy and the most fun you can have on skis other than powder
latest report
@under a new name, agree, but not on such an important thoroughfare where are plenty of people without the adequate skills to tackle them. Even the fact it's a black doesn't seem to put off quite a few who would be better off downloading in the aeroski (or whatever the new version's called).

Having said that, its all part of the loop bar lunchtime entertainment Very Happy
ski holidays
I remember 20 odd years ago doing it as a torchlight descent after a skinful in the restaurant at the top, bottle of wine in one hand, flaming torch in the other, great fun. Not much of the steep bit saw a piste basher back then and the moguls were brill.
ski holidays
Since Trolles was emasculated at the bottom by the dumping of all the spoil from the Lac 3 carpark works it is no longer the terror it once was - the only pain is the narrow section before the last pitch where the enterprising intermediates suddenly realise it was not such a good idea. Sadly those barriers are there as a result of a death. Personally I would rather police reckless skiing with a machine gun placed on the Loop Terrace but then that might just be my military background Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Personally I would rather police reckless skiing with a machine gun placed on the Loop Terrace but then that might just be my military background Very Happy

If it was 'Pay per bullet' it'd be a great money-earner for Jamie & Morgan... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Thought you would have preferred something laser guided! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
@chocksaway, Thought you would have preferred something laser guided! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Since it's in France I think we should use longbows.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Since Trolles was emasculated at the bottom by the dumping of all the spoil from the Lac 3 carpark works it is no longer the terror it once was

I would love to see what it used to look like! Proper 'wall of death'??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy