Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade and Salzburg Super Ski - Snow Reports 2015 - 16

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Ski Amade Snowheads. Staying in Neuberg with my friend John for a few days next week. His place is upstairs from that of Bobbev999. I remember somewhere on this thread a discussion about the best ribs on the mountain. Perhaps, if it's not too secret, someone would kindly post a reminder. Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's looking good out there today on our webcam!

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peter w, that sounds like me trinkeralm at forstau
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@peter w, you can get ribs just about everywhere but in some places you have to order them the day before at least. One place I know does excellent ones on spec so to speak is in the Wagrainerhaus on the Griesskareck above Wagrain. Take the Flying Mozart lift (or Rote 8er) and follow the signs into what is called Der Mulde, the Wagrainerhaus stands a little above the cable car lower station in the Mulde!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last time we were here for the night race we skied on the Reiteralm and it took an age to get back to where we were staying. The police kept stopping the car so I certainly wouldn't travel outside Schladming. Ski over to the Hauser Kaibling as it always quieter there. Skied both mountains today starting from Haus and the Haus runs were as usual in better condition and quieter. Still plenty of powder in the Kaiblingarm area. The snow cannons have been working overtime on the 'black run' to the Golden Jet middle station. Huge piles of snow everywhere on top of the normal ice. Got completely blasted by one of the dratted things this morning!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A bluebird morning following last night's snowfall. Skied around hochwurzen helping some novice family skiers. Lovely piste conditions and ankle deep powder to the sides. A little more snow forecast tonight. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fab day on Radstadt. A mix of sun & flat light, hard & soft snow, great company. More of the same please.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back in England after a great week. Spent Friday skiing in perfect conditions between the Planai and Hauser Kaibling. The bottom of the Womens downhill on the Planai was interesting with both runs being funnelled into the last schuss. It was like the M25 at 4.30 on a Friday. Saw a couple of serious wipeouts. The A10 was a mess on Saturday morning. A coach was burned out near Werfen closing 1 lane and then we hit the snow 10km from the airport. Never seen the autobahn completely white that near Salzburg!

Back in 5 weeks for 4 and a half days but staying in Wagrain this time. Only me and Hefski Jnr this time so it will be a hectic few days. We have 1 day spare and we cannot decide whether to ski Grossarl/Dorfgastein or Bad Hofgastein/Bad Gastein.

We haven't been to either area before. Any input on which area to ski would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd do Bad Hofgastein/Bad Gastein. There's a bit more to it and you won't get stuck the other side of the mountain from your car when the wind closes the top lifts at Dorfgastein.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi. I am going to be in Maria Alm - Hinterthal for just one day on Saturday. Any views on likely conditions and business as I am ambivalent about skiing for just one day - have done a lot of days already and have a few more planned.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good advice HutToHut. We were looking over towards Grossarl from the top of the closed black run at Alpendorf last Thursday and it did look a bit bleak at the top. I can imagine the wind closing the top lifts as they look very exposed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would be interested to hear an update on overall ski conditions for Ski Amade, specifically the Gastein valley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And Hochkonig as well please. This pesky warm weather is getting me worried
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it helps I was skiing Schladming area Tuesday. With a clear night, good overnight freeze, quite a warm day so piste softened during the day. Wonderful spring like skiing, plenty of snow on piste. I'd imagine conditions won't change too much until it cools down and snows again - some forecast for next Wed - long way out but signs are there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Speedster wrote:
Would be interested to hear an update on overall ski conditions for Ski Amade, specifically the Gastein valley

Conditions were really good last weekend. Skied Stubnerkogel and Schlossalm on the Saturday in light snowfall and then Dorfgastein on the Sunday. Pistes were in great condition and although the off-piste was a little patchy in places, myself and @Freeridechef managed to find some lovely pockets of pow in the bowl down towards Grosarl. I imagine as temps have risen this week things might have worsened slightly but all the slopes and lifts were running including Graukogel.
snow conditions
Fabulous day in schladming today. Clear blue skies & quite warm in the sun, about 5 degrees. Pistes were hard packed this morning but softened up nicely. Not too many people around.
snow conditions
10 degrees in Hinterthal village today, around 2 degrees at top of Aberg. Pistes icy on north facing slopes but well covered and no rocks showing. Best snow on Aberg at top. Itinerary runs open and skiable but not recommended. Felt like spring. More snow needed.
snow report
Skied Flachau & Wagrain today. Noticeably cooler than the last couple of days but a beautiful clear sunny day. Pistes stayed hard packed all day. More snow forecast tomorrow but I'm going home, boo.
snow conditions
Great skiing at Fageralm this morning, pistes perfect, crisp with good covering. Fabulous skiing down facing the balloons over the Dachstein Massif. Ace watching young flangesax nail it on her first run down a GS Cross/Combi race. Just a shame the timing was f**ked as her re-run resulted in a missed gate shortly before the finish. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
about 7 cm of snowfall overnight at 1000 metres. we left this AM so did not get a chance to see how that looked up at altitude sadly
snow report
Thanks for the update@chrisJersey,
snow conditions
Thick.

Unfortunately the snow turned to rain overnight even at altitude.
Lot sof brown raging rivers this morning!
This has not damaged the pistes significantly; more early spring like with no freeze overnight.
Wagrain was very busy today as it is the start of the holiday season.
Interestingly I've found the middle area of Wagrain (between Wagrain and Alpendorf) normally the busiest areas in the past but today it seemed to be the pistes to valley that were very busy with the middle sections pretty normal.
There isn't too much of a wait at the lifts (5-8 minutes max) apart from the 10am mountain rush!
snow report
A little top up overnight. Maybe 10cm or more in places. Refreshed the pistes nicely, and there was even some softer stuff in the trees at Reiteralm this morning.
snow conditions
Oh and from the look of the clouds this evening, there might be a bit more on the way 😎
ski holidays
4 days out of last 5 it's snowed! Though mostly light stuff as of right now but town is turning white again. Set to warm up for a couple of days before cooling down again. Made use of the Salzburg Superpass yesterday with a trip to Kaprun, Kitzsteinerhorn. Been once before very early season this time all terrain was open and we skied in sunshine above the valley cloud. Got to say not used to the crowds, was quite busy but still very enjoyable. Highlight was the marked freeride routes X2 & X4, nice long natural halfpipe. The snow had been well done over by the wind, so pickets of wind compressed powder and crust. So kept you on your toes or backside.
ski holidays
An interesting article about one the largest and deadliest avalanches in Salzburg area that happened 100 years ago today. Google translates it quite well. http://www.lawine.salzburg.at/tour/index2.php?id=17542
ski holidays
After snowing most of Saturday we had high hopes for today. Turned out to be very muggy, poor vis, rain and heavy wet snow on piste. We abandoned after a late lunch. Possible to ski back to town but it wasn't pretty. Thankfully our hotel has a decent spa. Might try Sportgastein tomorrow for the bit of extra altitude as it looks like another warm one.
snow report
Looking at heading back out for Easter. I booked flights months ago thinking that it would be quiet so I could book somewhere to stay a week or two before we go based on snow conditions. However, I've booked flights from Friday-Sunday so we could ski more, which means in effect we straddle three booking weeks. As a result places to stay are in short supply (according to Booking.com) especially in our comfortable/value end of the budget scale! There's a fair amount available from Sat-Sat, just not if you add in the Fri & following Sat. We're not wanting to faff around with staying somewhere different for a night either side. So I'm thinking we might need to book somewhere sooner rather than later.

I know there's no crystal ball. But given how things are now, does it look perfectly normal and the usual fairly safe bet for Easter? We will have a car so can get around different places if we need to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, my hotel seems to have a fair bit of leeway - PM me for details, but it is disappearing fast according to the owner. She is on booking.com but prefers to deal direct. Will you be hiring a car again?

I'm there every weekend at the moment and have skied every time I wanted to no problem
snow report
@hammerite, booking.com accommodation providers may have set their restrictions on b.com to sat/sat yet be willing to do days either side - contact the accommodation directly and ask as its extremely unlikely all will be full. hth Ange.
ski holidays
Thanks Ange @flangesax.

@Samerberg Sue. Yes will be hiring a car. I'll PM but I think you usually stay in a hotel? Ideally we're looking for an apartment - trying to get in practise for when we actually find one to buy!
snow conditions
@hammerite, apartments are a different story - usually only sat/sat - good luck! Ange
snow report
@hammerite, I stayed mon to mon in schladming in January in a single room in pension almvater tor €35 per night. There were others who just stayed a few nights so might be worth a phone call. It has parking and only 5 mins walk to centre of town. Pm me if you want contact details as you can't book online needs to be email or phone. Owner speaks very good English and very welcoming.
snow conditions
Thanks all. Sorted now, apartment in Flachau just a few mins walk from the Achter Jet. My first foray in to the world of AirBnB. Lets hope for a great last 6 weeks of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
@hammerite, we are out easter Saturday for the week. Interesting you found an airbnb place
snow report
@holidayloverxx, we should meet up.

With hindsight it would've been beneficial for us to get season passes at the early season discounted rate. Only 2 trips but will end up with 15 ski days.
snow conditions
@hammerite, yes let's liaise. I got a season pass...first time ever. All being well 18 days for me
snow report
@hammerite, sounds like you could be in the same apartment block as @holidayloverxx snowHead Laughing

We'll have to meet up and ski together this time. I'm around and have booked all of the Easter holidays off work, but so far I've only booked accommodation from Maundy Thursday until the Tuesday after Easter. Easy for me to extend in either direction I think!
@queen bodecia worked out that it was worth buying an early rate season pass when you approach 13 or 14 days I think. We've both got the Salzburgerland Super Ski Pass and we will be using it the week after next to ski in Saalbach-Hinterglemm for a day, Kitzbühel for another day and if the weather plays ball with us I'm determined to get a day in the Dachstein West area too. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Psst - snowing again here today and it is moving eastwards too! wink
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, I hadn't thought that we could be in the same block as @holidayloverxx, but looking at it now I think it's quite likely!
snow conditions
Its been dumping down all night and all morning!

Anyone heading out this week is in for a lovely week of powder
Madeye-Smiley

I had a quick ski yesterday at Wagrain/Flachau, everything good although the mid station downward was pretty soft.
Temps seem to have dropped a little bit now though. The resort was still very busy yet the town is really dead at night, obviously lots of folk getting early nights in to enjoy the skiing!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy