Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leashes for Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Am I right in thinking you have to use leashes for Scottish resorts?

Would be primarily Glenshee and Aviemore

Sure I've seen it somewhere!

If so anyone got any links to some cheap ok ones (as would need 4)

Thanks

MCL
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes you do. And try eBay
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't talk rubbish no one uses leashes anymore, I've ridden up there many times and seen maybe one person with a leash. They were used for old types of bindings that had a habit of releasing you'll be fine without one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't even recall the last time I saw someone wearing a leash.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wasn't sure if it still applied and how strict they were about it- hopefully won't have to bother then

Couldn't understand why they had been essential but that makes sense if it was for old style bindings 😊
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
francium. wrote:
Don't talk rubbish no one uses leashes anymore, I've ridden up there many times and seen maybe one person with a leash. They were used for old types of bindings that had a habit of releasing you'll be fine without one.

Cairngorm have been known to ask people to use them.
The other resorts generally depend on common sense / personal choice (i.e people not being numpties and dropping their boards) but would prefer you did.

For some reason snowboarders get their knickers in a right twist about leashes.
Every season I see run-away boards traveling full length of main basin at Glencoe - on occasion with serious injuries as result.
If am skiing with telemark or dynafit bindings I personally always use leash as matter of choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Haggis_Trap, The only run-aways I've ever witnessed was the result of dropped boards... precisely the time you wouldn't be wearing a leash. You'd be better off putting the leash around your wrist and attaching it to the board than your foot. A regular leash is less than a handspan, long ones maybe a foot or two. You CAN'T clip one on without putting the board on the deck and sticking your foot in the binding at which point it's going nowhere without you attached. A modern binding isn't going to auto-release without some catastrophic incident by which time the board naffing off down the hill is going to be the least of your worries.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need them in Scotland.

It stops the board getting blown away!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen runaway boards twice.

The first time was when I was on a T-Bar on a steep slope in Austria and the lift had temporarily stopped. The T-Bar in front of me was empty, but the one in front of that had a boarder on. For some reason he decided to adjust/step out of his bindings and the board got away from him and started sliding down the slope. I could see that it was just going to miss me, but it was gaining speed all the time and the thought occurred to me that if I didn't stop it it could kill someone or at least give them a very nasty injury, so I stuck out my inverted ski pole and caught it with the thicker handle section (although it took a substantial chunk out of the handle). The numpty managed to scramble down to me and retrieve his board.

Second time was on the Sella Ronda when I became aware of a loose snowboard (I don't know how it got free) careering down a slope for several hundred yards, as the slope had some rollers the board was getting airborne to up to head height on occasion, before it zoomed off to the side of the piste and into some woods. A minute or two later I saw the presumed owner of the board appear jogging down the slope looking for his board. I guess it would have taken him some time to retrieve it (if he ever did). Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-11-15 16:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lifies check leashes regularly in Scotland, seen people being cucked off who refused to wear one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once again, for the millionth time - runaway boards are, of course, a bad thing. Leashes add another step of faff which requires you to take both hands off the board while you faff with the leash. Leashes therefore do not reduce the risk of runaway boards. Snowboard bindings do not release, unlike telemark or dynafit bindings.

They do check them in Scotland though sometimes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Once again, for the millionth time - runaway boards are, of course, a bad thing. Leashes add another step of faff which requires you to take both hands off the board while you faff with the leash. Leashes therefore do not reduce the risk of runaway boards. Snowboard bindings do not release, unlike telemark or dynafit bindings.

Couldn't agree more. The only time my board has got away from me is when I was walking and holding it and I slipped and fell... a leash wouldn't have helped in that situation.

There is absolutely no good reason to leash a board to your leg because once you're strapped in, you're strapped in. At all other times when you're off the board it would be more use around your arm.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
Snowboard bindings do not release, unlike telemark or dynafit bindings.
They do check them in Scotland though sometimes.

Most telemark bindings don't release either : dynafit bindings often have brakes (or can also be locked out).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-11-15 14:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmm so heading to Cairngorm without one may result in us being chucked off, OK better buy some and have them ready just in case.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ 95% of the time you will be fine and most lifties will turn a blind eye.

anecdotally Cairngorm seem to be more likely to enforce their use - so might be smart to have one in your pocket.
(right or wrong : expect a bollocking from patrol if you drop a runaway board with no leash)
snow conditions
Heading up there for New Year so will go prepared.
ski holidays
I expect the standard advice on this site would be that you should take one for each foot, just in case, as "they can hardly make you less safe".
kat.ryb wrote:
... The only time my board has got away from me is when I was walking and holding it and I slipped and fell... a leash wouldn't have helped in that situation. ...

Just for completeness, back in the day many leashes were bungees which were designed to be long enough for you to leave it connected to your ankle (surf-leash style) whilst you carried your board under your arm. They were built for people hiking up the side of half-pipes. So one of those would actually work in that circumstance. But not walking across a slope would avoid any danger.

I'd love to see any evidence that snowboarders using leashes would increase anyone's safety.
latest report
^ Personally when skiing dynafit TLT bindings (no brakes) I use a leash - but that is my choice / preference.
I don't find it a chore - and it does help prevent runaway skis when clipping in or out.

Couldn't get a hoot if snowboarders wear leashes or not. I am all for freedom of choice. What I do give a hoot about is when clueless numpties drop their boards : often whilst trying to clip in after holding their equipment on a chairlift. Seen several nasty accidents (and many more near misses) as result...
snow conditions
Often? I can't ever recall seeing someone carrying their board onto a chairlift, taking one off during an ascent or losing one in the way you describe - I can only recall ever seen 2 runaways during 15 years of snowboarding, and neither would've been stopped by a leash being used.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Often? I can't ever recall seeing someone carrying their board onto a chairlift, taking one off during an ascent or losing one in the way you describe - I can only recall ever seen 2 runaways during 15 years of snowboarding, and neither would've been stopped by a leash being used.

1. Many of the chairlifts in Scotland are older style fixed grip. some snowboarders, especially learners, choose to hold board on their lap. Especially if there is limited snow on the bottom or top ramp.

2. Have friends who work on the ski patrol - accidents from runaway equipment are common place. Injured customers have taken legal action against the ski centres. Seemingly the only way to keep insurance premium (and thus lift pass price) down is for the ski centers to be seen to have a "policy" in place ?

As ever : Don't shoot the messenger.
ski holidays
(politely) I saw a monoski run away once, that's all I've ever seen, snowboarding since the 1980s. The guy on it (I was riding the same) had a leash failure - I can't quite remember what failed.

Otherwise I've seen a few skis running away down icy mogul slopes, not safe but not really dangerous.

That's kind of why I was curious about evidence. I just wonder how many people are injured or killed in the real world. Data not anecdote, or at least first hand anecdote. I can check the Ski Industry of America as they publish data - other sources? Does anyone have any contacts at these Scottish resorts - I'd be happy to talk to their resort safety officers if that's what it takes...
ski holidays
^ email Dr. mike langran
he compiles detailed information on accidents at Scottish ski areas.
if anyone was able to compile raw data about injuries from runaway equipment it would be him.
http://www.ski-injury.com/injury-statistics
snow conditions
Sorry, but I just don't see why it'd be allowed. A fixed grip system would be particularly hard to dismount if you can't slide away quickly because you can't use the momentum of the chair to carry you forward if you're using your feet. To remove your board or skis makes no sense at all. If the operators are allowing this then no wonder there are alot of incidents of people having issues at the top.
snow report
^ that depends if there is sufficient snow at the bottom / top.

the classic example at Glencoe is snowboarders walking over the flat traverse to the spring run / flypaper - and then dropping their board whilst trying to clip in at the top.
when its icy this can be a double whammy : as they then try and slide down the piste on their @rse after it.... dangerous for them as well as anyone below.

now of course leashes might not be the magic answer - but if a "policy" keeps the insurance companies happy (and indirectly lift pass prices down) then it is better just to accept it and move on ? personally I would just stick one in my pocket....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-11-15 17:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
MCL wrote:
Leashes for Scotland?

Probably wise for some of them to have muzzles too wink
latest report
Thats just it - if runaway kit is an issue, then a riding leash isn't the answer to that problem. Either a belt loop coil wire which attaches to the binding while you're carrying it or some kind of ski-like brake arrangement (which would be a nightmare). Like Philwig says, I genuinely doubt the problem extends to more than a case or two per season of someone having an injury from runaway kit. I'll lay money people receive more injuries in the cafe than from runaways.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Like Philwig says, I genuinely doubt the problem extends to more than a case or two per season of someone having an injury from runaway kit. ys.

Probably true.
However it only take a tiny number of injured customers to take legal action for the premiums go up.
If having an official leash "policy" in your health and safety risk assessment removes official liability from the ski centres then so be it.

(in my experience the "policy" is generally only occasionally enforced - but they do sometimes check).
ski holidays
Hi@MCL, based on the last few seasons, at Glenshee you won't need a leash, but at Cairngorm you will need one.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Backcountryboarder,

Thanks for info, ordered some earlier for £5 each- don't want to risk getting thrown off Cairngorm for the sake of a fiver - especially after paying the ticket price 🙄

Think I have seen notices there before when skiing but never really paid much attention or noticed that boarders had/ didn't have them

Not done Cairngorm since new ownership.... Would like think queue situation has improved but won't be holding my breath Very Happy
snow report
@@MCL,

No problem, Glenshee's my home Area being based in Dundee, I know some of the people who help run it and have friends on Ski Patrol. I've also not paid money to Cairngorm since new ownership took over but I do know from split-boarding up that the queue situation is still an absolute joke.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Sorry, but I just don't see why it'd be allowed. A fixed grip system would be particularly hard to dismount if you can't slide away quickly because you can't use the momentum of the chair to carry you forward if you're using your feet. To remove your board or skis makes no sense at all. If the operators are allowing this then no wonder there are alot of incidents of people having issues at the top.

When had a trial snowboard lesson in Passo Tonale a few years ago, the instructor had us carrying the boards on our lap on the chairlift.
ski holidays
@Backcountryboarder, apart from our family New Year trip Glenshee will be our top choice for day trips and easiest to get to from Dunfermline 😊
latest report
From experience at Cairngorm, you only needs one jobsworth lifty, an I've met him, and you're off to spend £10 in their shop.
I'm quite sure its a money spinner for them, but rules is rules, and the b*st*rd always chooses the uplift which lets you dodge the damned train queues.

I later found that tieing yellow string round my trouser leg also worked, but only 'cos I happened to have some in my pocket...
ski holidays
Well I was going to suggest using a boot lace...
ski holidays
Piano wire? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mairead O'Connor saw a runaway snowboard disappear off the piste and over the cliff on the Grande Motte in Tignes last week. And the chap staring disconsolately after it. Laughing I carried my board up a lift when I started snowboarding - no leash, though the liftie did say quite kindly that I ought to ride up with it on (I think my advanced age prevented his being ruder about it). People take their 2 year olds up a lift with no leash - they could fall off and hurt somebody, too. And I've seen dogs on lifts too. You wouldn't want one of those landing on your head.
ski holidays
Ski, don't board, problem solved Happy
snow report
Quote:

the classic example at Glencoe is snowboarders walking over the flat traverse to the spring run / flypaper - and then dropping their board whilst trying to clip in at the top.

when its icy this can be a double whammy : as they then try and slide down the piste on their @rse after it.... dangerous for them as well as anyone below.

Yeah, as people keep saying though a short, non-elasticated leach which is attached from leg to binding doesn't help here. And those are the types of leashes that are sold. Because when you are carrying the board, you can't have the leg lash attached... then sit down, try to clip on the leash, and drop the board and it goes bye bye just the same as if they hadn't had a leash with them!
snow report
Quite. I think it's a skier thing. Next they'll be suggesting we start to carry poles, and an additional board just in case we need one. Oh, they did that already.... and it's still all nonsense.

You do need a leash on a no-board.

I think it's absolutely unsafe to have skiers wandering about at ski resorts with those ski poles, which are nothing more than sharpened sticks. They should have a bungee attaching them securely to their body at all times, especially on chair lifts, where a dropped pole could kill anyone underneath. They also need some device to put on the ends to stop them sticking into people by accident, perhaps an air-bag or similar gadget. They also need a brake - I've lost count of the times I've had to recover dangerously sliding poles from skiers.

And then skis, skiers, and poles should be banned from all steep slopes, as we've all seen those things sliding down very quickly, and if they were to hit someone they could die. I realize that will make it difficult for moguls to form in the first place, but I'm sure we have the technology to sort that out.
snow report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, as people keep saying though a short, non-elasticated leach which is attached from leg to binding doesn't help here. And those are the types of leashes that are sold. Because when you are carrying the board, you can't have the leg lash attached... then sit down, try to clip on the leash, and drop the board and it goes bye bye just the same as if they hadn't had a leash with them!

Yeah : Thanks for selectively missing off the end part of my original post (which specifically addressed the exact question you subsequently raise!).

"now of course leashes might not be the magic answer - but if a "policy" keeps the insurance companies happy (and indirectly lift pass prices down) then it is better just to accept it and move on ? personally I would just stick one in my pocket...."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy