Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Human Factor -Video

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This might be of interest

https://vimeo.com/143123090
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They call it the Human Factor but is it not the same as Heuristic Traps which is how this subject is covered on various avalanche courses (not your one nighters I hasten to add) and in relevant reference books?

I'm listening to it and am amazed how they have not referred to the phrase heuristic, it's like they are going out of their way to not mention it, or at least they could say that "human factor" is a better more accessible phrase, is it patented or somthing?

I'll dig out a couple of links, or Google heuristic traps

In fact here's one from some ski site Smile
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Heuristic-Traps

Oooooohhhh hold the press, they mentioned it at 19mins into it, though just the once !

So listened to it all, think they possibly could have got more experience on the discussion panel, for instance a UIAGM guide with 20yrs experience etc

The ski patrol girl with ten years so called experience was too damn condecending with a look at me aren't I the pro looking down on people attitude, which a guide never says but might be thinking, and at the end of the day a fair percentage of fatalities involved very experienced people.

Have to admit to geeting a wee bit skeptical with regard to HAT it's getting too business led / driven me thinks.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interestingly the video has dissapeared. Henry has a habit of posting stuff, like the Ste Foy avalanche in January then having second thoughts and taking the video down.

Anyway thanks for taking the trouble to watch and comment. I was interested in the Pyrenean patroller. A colleague of hers, Arnaud Trinquier has a very philosophical approach to his job (until October he was head of piste services at Tignes but came from the Pyrenees and has returned to the Cambre d’Az this winter). He doesn't really believe anymore in all this prevention and education, at least not as far as pisteurs are concerned. He says skiers will do what they do and his job is to help skiers who ask for advice, make sure the dangers are clear and to be ready to pick up the pieces if things go wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Human factors are always the biggest factor an accidents. Airlines invest heavily in it to ensure people make the right decisions at the right times.

I used to fly motorised paragliders. It was interesting to see the same human factors in play:

If you were in a group you sometimes took more risks or flew in conditions aboce your ability levle
If you saw somebody take to the sky you assumed it was safe for you to do so in the same weather.
As you got a bit more experienced you often got more complacent. (high accident rate for 50-100 hour pilots)
Everybody had a different risk/reward threshold -those with the lowest tend to have the most incidents
People. often unwisely, took bigger risks with more saftey gear.
You could take to the sky in clear weather and get caught in something nasty later on - A bit like starting at the top of a mountain without knowing the conditions lower down, where you were skiing to.
It was a sport dominated by men - with a brain more wired towards risk taking / showing off and not wanting to lose face by backing out of something in front of peers

Most fatalities across the world happen usually with very experienced pilots simply becuase they are the ones who spend the most time in the air. - Mountain giudes are the most likely people to die in an avalanche because they spend the most time there.

The risks, of course, are far higher than those in off piste skiing and knew a few pilots who are, sadly, no longer with us.

The group mentaility could also work in the other way too. Quite often pilots would check each others kit and fixings, discuss weather and routes and evaluate risks together which was a very positive thing.

there is a saying in aviation:

'There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots'
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Interestingly the video has dissapeared. Henry has a habit of posting stuff, like the Ste Foy avalanche in January then having second thoughts and taking the video down.

Pure speculation but that always felt like someone getting out of hospital and then going "Christ, I'm famous!" If you see what I mean.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy