Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners with certain criteria.....AUSTRIA!

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, yes, as @letsgetpiste says, the Austrian criterion was introduced very late on, having figured nowhere earlier.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
letsgetpiste wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
What is it about snowHeads that, when someone asks a question but stipulates certain conditions, most of the answers are concerned with trying to bat away the conditions? It happens every time. This person wants to go to Austria, for heaven's sake! (I too prefer Italy, but that's not the point.)

I think it was because the criteria shifted. It was originally about the food, then the OP injured himself and during his year long recuperation decided that Austria was the way to go!

My knowledge of Austrian Skiing and Austrian food is far from encyclopedic, but my experiences there have always been positive.

Might I suggest a cheeky title edit so as to attract the correct brand of Austrian experts? wink

Changed it! I was always open to other countries before I got injured, and food is still the main concern but now in just Austria - The reason why I want to go here some might ask is because ive always been interested in visiting here, so thought i'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Correct, I cannot take 3 weeks off. Im hoping that the budget will be ok for 1 week, my research so far seems to back this up
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of places in Austria would suit the OP and any reputable ski school there would work -Saalbach-Hinterglem Radstat-Altenmarkt, Hochkönig near Saalfelden, Nassfeld and the 3countries area of Carinthia (I think Pikes A & Sleazey fly into and out of Klagenfurt &/or Graz. This means very cheap car hire enabling you to explore the ski pass areas more easily

If paranoid about heights, simply add 300m to your village heights and educate yourself about the Continentalty effect rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Am I being to fussy in what im looking for? Do you think that maybe by limiting the country to just Austria, im missing out on lots of other places that have the same criteria?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NewSki, there are probably resorts which fulfil your criteria in every country, Italy, Germany, France, you name it. But there's not much point in being spoiled for choice, especially if there's a particular country - with plenty of options itself - on your hit list. Might as well stick with it. IMHO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NewSki, given the number of resorts in Austria suitable for beginners, no you're not really being too fussy. There are loads to go for. Wanting to visit a certain country is a fine reason to want to go there.

When I first started skiing I went to a few random places first of all, but then decided I wanted to go to X country to see what it/the skiing was like.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There are lots of good things about Austria but I don't think food is usually classed as one of them.

Not at all sure I agree with this. Depends on what you're looking for I suppose, but we eat pretty well all season and it's relatively inexpensive both up the mountain and in the village, and, when it comes to beautiful, atmospheric mountain restaurants, we find that we're spoilt for choice. (This was our favourite last season: http://www.artnouveau.com.gr/photo-gallery/mountain-restaurant-hendl-fischerei-in-austria/ http://www.mama-thresl.com/en/hotel-restaurant-leogang/hendl-fischerei-englisch/ )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSki wrote:
Am I being to fussy in what im looking for? Do you think that maybe by limiting the country to just Austria, im missing out on lots of other places that have the same criteria?

I'm sure there are other places which meet your criteria, but there are plenty in Austria, so no, you are not being too fussy at all.

If by "good food" you mean Michelin star "fine dining" levels, then you probably won't find too many places, but that would be true of most ski resorts in most countries TBH.

But if you are looking for good tasty food with a reasonable choice at reasonable prices, then Austria is a pretty good choice IMV. Unless you are vegetarian - their efforts to cater for the vegetarian market do tend to be a bit "token" in nature, and I have more than once seen ham or bacon as part of what a half board hotel was offering as the "vegetarian" option Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled (I am not vegetarian BTW, and have been generally very happy with what I have eaten in Austria, just commenting on what I have seen).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are 4 restaurants in Flachau that are towards the fine dining end plus a fab schnitzel restaurant, pizzeria and other Austrian places. There are more huts than you can shake a stick at that do great food on the mountain. I take beginners there but that's for convenience, there are other quieter resorts that folk might prefer for the skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If by "good food" you mean Michelin star "fine dining" levels, then you probably won't find too many places, but that would be true of most ski resorts in most countries TBH.

There are some outstanding Restaurants and Hotels in Austria

@alex_heney, . That Argument is completely fallacious -Schloß Fuschl near Salzburg is one of Europe'S top Hotels and has been donkey's years

Yes simple FillingFood can be Found, but there is also lots of Fine dining aas well as excellentvaluea excellnt Value for your Money. That Goesfor Food and wines aus well als beers

But if you always order Schnitzel etc ....... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:

That Argument is completely fallacious

+10 points for the marvellous use of the word "Fallacious" !!

Samerberg Sue wrote:

Nothing wrong with a tasty schnitzel Wink

holidayloverxx wrote:

Plus a fab schnitzel restaurant

Flachau... you've got me!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What I like about the bits of Italy near Austria is that you get the best of both worlds food-wise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl looked great to me when I was looking at Austria but it was beyond my budget. So it would probably be great for the OP.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even further north in Austria, there is a strong Italian influence - for example, here in Saalbach, Il Desco is famed for its pasta, Del Rossi for its Italian (as well as Austrian) style cuisine, La Trattoria for its pizzas....etc. Many of the mountain restaurants have traditional pizza ovens, and I've heard it said that the pizzas tend to be better in our neck of the woods than over the border in Italy.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Even further north in Austria, there is a strong Italian influence - for example, here in Saalbach, Il Desco is famed for its pasta, Del Rossi for its Italian (as well as Austrian) style cuisine, La Trattoria for its pizzas....etc. Many of the mountain restaurants have traditional pizza ovens, and I've heard it said that the pizzas tend to be better in our neck of the woods than over the border in Italy.

You sell Saalbach very well! My brother had his heart set on Soll for next year but I've gotta say, I'm going to lean on him a bit!!
snow conditions
@alex_heney, plenty of vegetarian options as well in most huts and many hotels not only offer vegetarian menus (I eat mostly vegetarian options these days, although I'm an omnivore), many offer vegan dishes as well.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Quote:

There are some outstanding Restaurants and Hotels in Austria

@alex_heney, . That Argument is completely fallacious -Schloß Fuschl near Salzburg is one of Europe'S top Hotels and has been donkey's years

Yes simple FillingFood can be Found, but there is also lots of Fine dining aas well as excellentvaluea excellnt Value for your Money. That Goesfor Food and wines aus well als beers

I didn't say you wouldn't find any. It is just that they tend not to be all that frequent in the ski resorts themselves.

Personally, I love eating in Austria, and find the quality of the food generally very good - but I am not looking for "fine dining" at something close to Michelin star level.

Quote:

@alex_heney, plenty of vegetarian options as well in most huts and many hotels not only offer vegetarian menus (I eat mostly vegetarian options these days, although I'm an omnivore), many offer vegan dishes as well.

There certainly are vegetarian options, but they tend to be more limited. And every hotel I have stayed in has offered a vegetarian option on their standard half board menu - but on two separate occasions, in different hotels, one evening, that "vegetarian" option included ham.

I just don't think Austria (or Germany from the experiences of one of our party in Cologne a couple of years ago) is as well suited to vegetarians as some other countries are. That isn't saying you won't find things to eat - you almost always will. Just that the choices may not be as good as in some places.
snow report
@alex_heney, my daughter, then a vegetarian, was nonplussed to be asked by a Spanish hostess whether ham would be OK if chopped up small.
ski holidays
France is often not good for vegetarians. Yes, there are some good places but you'd not recommend France for a vegetarian.
ski holidays
@NewSki, Lech, week 2 January
snow report
Try Die Tischlerei in Schladming. Pretty good value for fine dining, they have a traditional and a modern menu, some amazing dishes and really not what you would expect in a ski resort town. Not that far off a Mich star for choice, quality and service Cool

https://www.dietischlerei.co.at/

Edit.... they have lovely large helpings Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 17-06-16 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Not looking for Michelin star restaurants, you only get the tiniest servings lol!!! Just top calibre food meaning not food that has been quickly knocked up/fresh top quality hearty meals/food to a high standard/local bakeries and cake shops (this is my best way of explaining!!). Thanks for some great answers people! Am going to sift through this thread now and study every resort mentioned!. In your opinion is it best to book now or wait closer to the time? I dont want to leave it to late!
snow conditions
NewSki wrote:
In your opinion is it best to book now or wait closer to the time? I dont want to leave it to late!

In my search for accommodation for next season, I'm already finding a lot of places have booked up already. Some may not be advertising their full quota and some snowheads will advise you to wait last minute. Personally that terrifies me and I enjoy having something to look forward to (thats paid up and confirmed!) snowHead
snow report
If you plan to go in one of the very low season January weeks, after new year (which is a very good time to choose) I'd definitely wait till much nearer the time. Snow conditions can vary a good deal - different areas of Austria might have different snow levels; mountain weather means there can be quite big variations even within relatively short distances.
ski holidays
Quote:
In your opinion is it best to book now or wait closer to the time? I dont want to leave it to late!

As you see from the two replies you have already... that depends.

If you have fixed dates, work holidays, specific resort or accommodation criteria book early. If you can back your bags at short notice and are flexible about where you go and stay, book late.

Other criteria may apply.
latest report
Quote:

Other criteria may apply.

People have different priorities. If you find the exact accommodation you want, book it early. If the snow/skiing is more important and you are flexible on accommodation/resort, wait.
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:
Not looking for Michelin star restaurants, you only get the tiniest servings lol!!! Just top calibre food meaning not food that has been quickly knocked up/fresh top quality hearty meals/food to a high standard/local bakeries and cake shops (this is my best way of explaining!!). Thanks for some great answers people! Am going to sift through this thread now and study every resort mentioned!. In your opinion is it best to book now or wait closer to the time? I dont want to leave it to late!

Then by avoiding turist traps (present in most resorts) and following local advice - anywhere in Alps.

If Michelin * dinning is not what you are after, then reputable ski school should be on your priority list. When you ride well, you will forget you are hungry!

If not going during peal weeks (X-mas, NY, school holidays) then book late depending of where the best snow is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

People have different priorities. If you find the exact accommodation you want, book it early. If the snow/skiing is more important and you are flexible on accommodation/resort, wait.

The best located (slopeside and central) accommodation in the most popular resorts will tend to sell out during the summer and autumn. If you're not too fussed where you end up, you could leave it until nearer the time, provided that flights from and to your preferred airports don't start to rise.
snow conditions
Quote:

provided that flights from and to your preferred airports don't start to rise.

it generally makes sense to book flights early to an airport giving a good choice of resorts. If the OP wants an "all-in" package with a British TO then obviously that greatly restricts choice. There is lots of excellent accommodation NOT on the TOs books. To somewhere like Austria, with easy communications and tourist infrastructure, I can't see much argument for using a TO. Sometimes they can do cheap last minute bargain but the OP isn't looking for cheap.
latest report
@pam w, I made that comment because we sometimes find that flights to Salzburg (particularly from certain areas of the UK) can become prohibitively expensive at certain times of the season, leaving Munich as the default destination airport - which doesn't suit everybody. Agreed that using a TO isn't necessary or desirable - but then I would say that, wouldn't I wink
snow report
Arguments above considered, as @NewSki is a new skier then travelling with a tour operator on a package isn't a bad idea. Ski holidays have lots of different things that you need to do/know (transfers, lifts passes, ski/boot hire, where the lifts are, bus stops, ski school meeting place etc...) and a good tour operator will look after their guests making sure these things are covered.

This is especially the case if flights are late in. Generally a tour operator will make sure everyone is sorted with everything in time for ski school meeting time on Day 1. Someone travelling independently will end up having to do all that themselves and probably end up not skiing until late morning.

We mostly DIY now, but don't discount going with a TO if the offering is right. However, when we do go with a TO we're pretty independent and sort ourselves out.
latest report
I havent checked in for ages so I find this thread difficult to follow ... Where did all that stuff about December come from .. I read it as January? You can only really relie on Ischgl And The Alberg for snow in December.

But as there is only two of you, you could pick up a bargain at the last minute in those off season weeks.
You can keep your finger on the pulse of snow conditions.

If you move the holiday into mid January you will have more choice as the snow becomes reliable.

If you are beginners you could anywhere but I don't recommend Niederau.
It says its perfect for beginners, well its the dullest village in Austria I have ever stayed in.hat

I don't think there is anywhere to eat that is "Off Pizza".

Anyway lets be +ve, there are loads of great resorts in Austria, the food is usually good and often outstanding.
There will be plenty of very merry people probably drinking too much while they enjoy themselves.
But they wont be everywhere all the time.
snow conditions
Quote:

transfers, lifts passes, ski/boot hire, where the lifts are, bus stops, ski school meeting place etc..

@hammerite, For what its worth, all these aspects (and many more besides) should be comprehensively covered in the information that any self-respecting, independent accommodation provider should be dishing out before, or at the time of, booking - or at least at some stage before the guests have to grapple with them (and there is no excuse for any failure to provide such information).

As for the day of arrival, again any self-respecting provider (assuming they are resident or have a representative/key holder in the resort) should do a meet and greet and give all the necessary help and guidance. (I realise that these things will vary, but in our particular case, our guests not only get a meet and greet on arrival, but we fuss around them like old hens, with a view to getting them into the ski rental shop before the TO clients descend on the place, and up the mountain asap - if they can already ski of course. We escort them on a guided tour of the village, showing them where to get their lift passes, where to book lessons (if we haven't already put them in touch with a recommended instructor), and where to grab a quick snack and buy essential provisions. Beginners are shown where to find easy practice slopes. Most guests arrive around midday, and with a bit of organisation - which you wouldn't necessarily get from a TO rep - we often get them up the mountain on the afternoon of arrival, and we also offer to go up with them to if they want us to, to do a bit of guiding and show them where to head for apres-ski drinks.)

As some resorts allow lift passes to be used from 3.00pm on the afternoon before they are due to come into force, independent travellers often steal a march on the TO brigade, by getting a few hours of skiing and apres-skiing on the day of arrival - a very worthwhile bonus.

I do agree that a complete newbie might find it more comforting to place themselves in the hands of a TO, but equally they should not be daunted by the prospect of booking with a reputable independent accommodation provider, after asking all the relevant questions, receiving appropriate information and guidance, and satisfying themselves that they will be looked after upon arrival, rather than left to their own devices. Sometimes people might feel stumped by the prospect of arranging airport transfers, but this is often no more difficult than pre-booking a private taxi on-line, using a dedicated airport transfer provider - an easy 2 minute job.
latest report
Tatman's Tours the information I've had from other independent accommodation providers is usually good. However, apart from the showing round of the apartment we've never had any of the other hospitality you mention. Just been left to get on with it - although any questions have been answered.

Our last trip with a TO was a bargain trip to your neck of the woods (Hinterglemm). We'd checked in at our hotel by 11.30am. On the transfer coach we were asked if we wanted to buy our lift passes, I declined saying I'd just go to the pass office myself so I could get my pass and ski after 3pm. The rep said she would be getting the passes and could get ours to us by 3pm, it didn't cost any more so I agreed. We were sat outside a bar at about 1pm having lunch when the rep walked past and saw us, she was on her way back to drop our passes at the hotel, so just gave them to us there and then. Most reps we've had have been good, we've had a couple of pointless ones too, this one was one an excellent ones.
latest report
To me, the key advantage of DIY is that you get infinitely greater choice of destinations and accommodation. Tour Operators feature a handful of accommodation choices in a handful of resorts. DIY particularly makes sense with self-catering accommodation. Apartments or chalets are rented as a whole - you pay the same amount whether you fill it up completely, or there are only two of you in a large place. You can go as simple, or as luxurious, as you like.

Yes, you have to be prepared to deal with problems yourselves - but in this day and age, somewhere where English is widely spoken, with a mobile phone to hand, that's not usually too much of a hassle. And if you prepare carefully and do your research, there probably won't be any problems.

It depends, some people relish sorting things out themselves, some prefer to sit back and relax, and leave the responsibility to somebody else.
snow report
Hotel berghoff in mayrhoffen had nice food. My girlfriend found it great as a beginner learning the ropes. Brilliant ski schools too.
snow conditions
Hello everyone, I have found 4 resorts that I think will suit us, 2 in Austria - Lech and Ischgl and Italy - Cervinia and Sauze doulx, After reading more information on the web about the food in Italy (despite being set on Austria) im hoping that these 2 Italian resorts will be good to go. Now time to decide a resort and then a hotel!!
ski holidays
@NewSki, others will have more up to date information but while I enjoyed 3 holidays in cervinia I can only remember 1 good restaurant. I'd have thought Lech and Sauze werewere diametrically opposite in terms of value for money and atmosphere.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd have thought Lech and Sauze werewere diametrically opposite in terms of value for money and atmosphere.

Laughing Having never been to either, but read a lot about them, I'd have thought the same. And both Cervinia and Sauze d'Oulx would be way down my list of Italian resorts to try. I'd go to the Dolomites. Again.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy