Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I picked the right resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I looked at esprit but the wanted to put my 3 year in a nursery and the 6 out on the slopes. Plus they have some weird rule about meal times and the children eaten seperately at 5pm and 7.30pm adults only dinner even in the hotels.

We want to be with them after spending the day apart so it doesn't suit. Sorry our criteria is unique.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@A new addict, that's what put us off Esprit. Want to spend time with the little mites. Now they are 12 and 14 they would rather not spend time with us but that's to be expected wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@A new addict, Our experience is that when the children rock up to the lesson, regardless of what you have booked they will put the children into the appropriate ability groups, almost regardless of age. Ours had a similar gap, but always ended up in different groups.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@A new addict, I really don't think putting the kids in a class together is a good idea.

The 6 year old will pick skiing up far quicker (coordination and balance), and be far stronger/have more stamina to ski a lot more/longer. Should for sure be up on the mountain skiing blues by the end of the week.

The 3 year old will struggle to deal with most normal lifts while manoeuvring heavy skis and boots (not to mention the cold/runny noses/getting out of ski stuff to go to the toilet/etc), and will spend a lot more time 'playing' to get used to sliding on snow than actually skiing, and will also need more rests and breaks. They will almost certainly stay on the nursery slope the entire time.

Too big an age difference, I think. You'll either be holding one back or pushing one way too hard, and neither is fair IMO (FWIW, I used to be an instructor, though I spent more time teaching adults than kids).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ringingmaster, they do this too at Hemel Hempstead. Seperate the children on ability, which we are fine with. The problem with an under 5 is most resorts only allow them to go in the nursery. He would be very bored being a ninja warrior child. This way they both will be skiing.

He will be 4 in Feb and is phyiscally advanced. Walked at 9 months, had tennis lessons since he was two, started school full time last Easter so is use to direction, teaching and long days. He never sleeps. We go on a 6 miles hike across the South Downs most Sunday's with the dog and he does the full walk without any assistance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@A new addict, as others have commented I'd be surprised if a 3yr and 6yr child were routinely taught in the same class on a busy week, unless specifically asked that the 6yr old to remain with the younger children. If finance allows I'd also enquire about private lessons for the 2 of them, even if just for half days, and if the 3yr old is capable they will cover a lot more ground in such a small class.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999,

Interesting opinion. This isn't a private lesson the group is set by esf 3-6 and 7-13. I'm guessing there will be loads of other 3-6 years olds in this group so can't see the problem really.

My 6 year old isn't 7 until the end of June so putting her in the 7-13 group would make her the youngest and would probably struggle. Where as an almost 4 year old would probably be middle of the road in a 3-6 groups. if my 6 year old is one of the best in this group then she will enjoy the success rather than struggling in the older group.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A new addict wrote:
I looked at esprit but the wanted to put my 3 year in a nursery and the 6 out on the slopes. Plus they have some weird rule about meal times and the children eaten seperately at 5pm and 7.30pm adults only dinner even in the hotels.

We want to be with them after spending the day apart so it doesn't suit. Sorry our criteria is unique.

That is odd with respect to your 3yr old as my youngest was in lessons at 3. Also you don't need to use the kids clubs (though my kids wouldn't be happy if we didn't out them into them Happy) you are correct about the meal times but we actually liked that as our children are very hungry by then and when we have done DIY I found myself having to cook every night as we couldn't find restaurants which served early enough. I like having a week where I am not cooking every evening meal. However I can see it doesn't suit everyone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@A new addict, those groups will be further subdivided though... New Year week there might be 50 or more 3-6 year old enrolled, they won't all be in the same group.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ,

This was when we where planning to go to meribel. They said he couldn't do the ski school! Only nursery then I found out about meal times which completely put us off. Meal times are family time.

I know they will be seperated within the 3-6 group but that's million times better then one being in nursery and the other in ski school. There is a tiny chance that might be in the same ability group at least and they can sit together at lunch too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@A new addict, You may find that although they are in the same age bracket for teaching they may be put in different instructors and grouped by age and ability as others have indicated.
I would also recommend Esprit we've used them twice , very kid focused all day, which allows the adults to ski
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having put our kids through ESF for 3 years now, I can pretty much guarantee that they will be split into separate groups.

When our 2 started our son was 6 and our daughter 4 (nearly 5). They both started the first week in the same initial level (Ourson) but our son was put up a group on day 2 or 3 (Flocon). We were in a small resort, out of season, so there was only 1 class per level. La Plagne in peak season will be busy, so I'd imagine multiple groups per skill level (see link below).

I'd guess that your youngest will be in Piou Piou as 3 is too young for Ourson (Our daughter was 'let in' to Ourson as she was soon to be 5), and your oldest will start in Ourson. Check here - http://www.esf-uk.co.uk/levels
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As mentioned if you want the children to be "looked after" rather than you doing all the work then Esprit are THE masters of this. Just one comment you made which no one seems to have picked up on. You say you want 2 of your children "an absolute must" in the same ski class? Well OK IF they are the same level, but please don't insist they stay in the same class if they are are different ability levels. It will be bad for all concerned. We had the millennium year in La Plagne and it was well covered in snow for the 2 weeks of Christmas & New Year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@A new addict, as many posters have said dont worry about the resort choice as it will work well with the family. During the holidays there should be plenty of English children in the ESF lessons, although to be honest my youngest when she was 5 was in a group of only French speakers but the instructor was excellent and helpful and kind (yes they do exist in the ESF Toofy Grin ) and she had a great week.

Looks like you just want some good family time. Your husband as was said by an earlier poster might get have the need to get to the top of the mountain and ski some steeper stuff - which is exactly what I have done for the past few years. Unfortunately for my wife now the kids are 15 and 12 they want to ski from the top and get impatient with mum.

Hope you have a great holiday. Be warned though if this becomes a habit dont expect to have any money...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy