Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying boots online versus in store

Poster: A snowHead
Shock horror I found myself having to rent a pair of boots for two days last year (long story) and I feared it was going to ruin my fun. Pleasantly surprised though, gave normal shoe size, tried them on and could tell immediately I was gong to be OK - ski boot liners are a thing of wonder compared to the good ole days and clips are far more effective. Missed having a proper footbed but that was all. And a long long time ago I bought a pair by mail order and they worked well too after an initial period of tightness. So I think it is possible to buy blind on line and get a result. Not ideal but possible and especially if you have a good idea of what you want and have footbeds already. I know people who have been to Profeet etc and been given the works and they still seem to moan about their feet. Just an observation.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name,
Quote:

@Timc,

Quote:

I am just about to replace my trusty boots and the cost difference between buying discount online and from a trusted and reputable bootfitter, while significant, is probably less than the cost of a good dinner for two in the Alps.

Why are you replacing boots after 82 days? Got a new ski suit?

Boots (or at least, their liners) should last ~120 days. My current ones, cos the shell's so just right are 300 days in...

Simple really, the liners haven't lasted, they start the day with an ok fit but by the end of the day my feet are flopping around in them like they were wellington boots. No amount of tightening the buckles helps with keeping my feet in the correct position within the boot without impairing circulation in my feet.
As I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes I am not prepared to risk damaging my feet for the sake of delaying buying new boots.

The point I was trying to make to the OP earlier was that the important thing with boots is not the initial cost but the fit and how they can make or break a holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Simple really, the liners haven't lasted, they start the day with an ok fit but by the end of the day my feet are flopping around in them like they were wellington boots. No amount of tightening the buckles helps with keeping my feet in the correct position within the boot without impairing circulation in my feet.

As I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes I am not prepared to risk damaging my feet for the sake of delaying buying new boots.

To be honest, if you like the shells I'd just buy some new liners - intuition or zip fit would be good, better than the originals. Personally I am loath to buy new shells unless I have to because the process to get a good fit can be so protracted (returning to the shop for stretches, punches, etc)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timc, and that point is exactly right. Sounds as though maybe your shells were too big to begin with?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

service at Edge and Wax is different from what CEM or Profeet offer.

What sort of difference in price are we talking? For a boot that retails at say £300, what should I expect to pay in these places as a total?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Themasterpiece, I would think that anywhere your fitting as such is included in the price of the boots whereas footbeds, new liners, etc, aren't.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@henzerani, Down south you've got Profeet in Fulham, they fitted my wifes boots for her last year and they're well know for a good service. Closer for you is Edge and Wax, again a good rep for fitting boots.

Down south?! That's up North!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry to the OP if this thread has moved away from his original question but to update@under a new name, and@jedster, I have been to CEM and he was able to show me quite clearly that my existing boots were one size too large and several other points which it had taken me 8 years and 82 days skiing to find out about them.
He examined my feet and ankles and was able to tell me about my previous injuries I had had and the restricted movement in my ankles. I didn't need to tell him anything about my feet he could see my problems and told me about them.

He suggested a brand and model (nearly £100 cheaper than the one I was expecting to buy) which he thought would best suit me in a size one smaller than my current boots. These fitted perfectly on one foot but needed a little work on the other.

So to summarise.
Am I happy with my purchase? So far, definitely yes, I have spent less than I had expected and I fully expect these boots to be the best I have ever owned although I have to wait until January to confirm that.
Was it easy and convenient? No. We had to leave home at 5:30 a.m. to drive 130 miles for an 8:30 a.m. appointment.
Thanks to all the Snowheads who have recommended CEM, I wish I had known about him when I bought my first pair of boots as I probably wouldn't be buying my third pair now.
@Peter Groom, The boots CEM sold me I could have bought online £50 less, but If I had selected this brand and model (which I wouldn't have done, I'd have spent nearly £100 more on a more expensive named brand) I would have bought in the wrong size and without being fitted so that they would probably only lasted the 82 days or less that my current ones have.

@Peter Groom, This is the one area of skiing where you must not compromise just to save a few quid.

My only gripe, I couldn't have the colour I wanted, but that was my only compromise.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timc, fantastic. result!

well done and well done Colin.

I have the same gripe. My boots are white. I hate white boots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am all for saving money, but buying ski boots online is false economy. A Good shop will measure your feet properly, and match you to the right boots for your expertise, type of skiing and the form of your feet. For the sake of saving £50 (if that) visit a shop and do it properly. Your feet and ski development depend on it...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Themasterpiece wrote:
@abc how many people get "the shell punched out" (what does that mean?) when getting boots fitted? I doubt half of the population (of boot buyers). I think in 90% of cases they show you a few boots and heat mould the liner/shell.

When i bought my boots two years ago at Rivington Alpine they did this and I was wondering what they were doing...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:

My only gripe, I couldn't have the colour I wanted, but that was my only compromise.

Ha! CEM will tell you what boots are best for you and that's the end of the discussion. I dared to ask if I might have a different make because I preferred the colour, and the look he gave me I will not forget Very Happy

Fantastic guy; totally sorted by boot situation. I have seen him 3 times in the past few years, and sent a number of friends to him. Can't recommend him highly enough.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Themasterpiece, from observation, 90% of the skiing populace are skiing in boots 1 or 2 sizes too big.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About 90% of skiers are not that good, so should not matter.
It's also easier to put on slightly larger boots.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Filthyphil30k, "not that good"

that too...
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Filthyphil30k, "not that good"

that too...
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Me neither, did not stop me getting my own boots.

To be fair this applies to almost all hobbies.
ski holidays
sorry to highjack slightly but do you boot gurus think the same thing applies to children's boots? I know if I take my boys to snow and rock/Ellis Brig for proper fitting - I'll come away £300 - £400 worse off but I have found Head raptor boots online in their size for £70 each. Neither of them have moaned about their rental boots before so they are not fuss pots and I figure surely their own boots have to be better than the buckets they get shoved into in resort?

Feel free to tell me I'm being tight - I'll cough up if I have to!
snow conditions
@Skikitten1972, my late father in law had a most annoying winter for his wallet when brother in law went through three pairs of new boots in a single season, thru growth spurts....

kids can ski in anything, cheaper the better as they won't last. ergo, absolutely no point having them fitted as a week later they'll need to be fitted again.
ski holidays
@under a new name, good advice, I would spend the money on good quality gloves and warm under layers. Warm kids are happy kids.
latest report
Thanks both snowHead
snow report
For kids you can always hire on a trip or two if they grow out of their boots. Equipment hire for children is pretty cheap
snow report
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
My experience is that the service at Edge and Wax is different from what CEM or Profeet offer. They have a large range of boots, and will try and sort something that fits, put a decent footbed together for you, and if you have fairly standard feet or have a good idea of what you want then they will probably get you sorted. CEM and Profeet are operating at another level, and the way they price what they do reflects that, aiming to get a 100% perfect boot with as much modification as is required to get it to that..

We will pretend not to be offended! We have quite an extensive boot modification lab, and knowledge within the boot team, are trained to a high level, and dispense with over complicating boot fitting, to make it an understandable and enjoyable experience. Please don't take this to mean we are no less skilled! We just have a different approach, and it seems to work well with many of our customers. One of our fitters actually helped train some of the others mentioned, and supplied more advanced fitting equipment to them Very Happy

IF you want us to go into minute detail, just ask! Communication is key, it works both ways to get results, and we will happily bore the pants of those who want the detail...

ScottyDog
Owner (and boot fitter, and tea boy)
ski holidays
@Skikitten1972, I have 7 grandchildren coming to ski at my place in France next season. Two of them twice. But even they (3 and 5 then 4 and 6) could well need different sizes between Christmas and easter. Renting kids boots and skis as a package is cheap and convenient. It's what all the French families do and they can generally ski better than the average British family.
ski holidays
Timc wrote:

When I had my boots fitted the girl made a point of telling me that you should never select boots on the colour or look, it's all about feel. Struck me as a very simple, but extremely decent bit of advice. I don't really like the look of what I have, but when half of them are covered by my trousers, and the other half with snow, it really doesn't matter.
snow report
scottydog wrote:
One of our fitters actually helped train some of the others mentioned, and supplied more advanced fitting equipment to them Very Happy

with the greatest respect I know that none of your fitters have ever trained any of my staff or supplied us with anything so i can only assume you mean the London based company (although i have to admit to that sounding a little strange)
latest report
Top five things you should not buy online but always try and make sure they are correct before commiting.

5 car
4 House
3 dog
2 wife/husband
1 Ski boots
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, You obviously don't have a 21 year old Thai/ Russian bride.

I assume the risk is they will feel big and loose, never too tight?
latest report
No, @cameronphillips2000, the rule of Fs.

If it flies, floats or f**cks - ou should always rent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cameronphillips2000, you are correct.

I pushed the wrong button once and ended up being married to a real dog. Thankfully she pedalled away in my car to our new house in Mogadishu.

My boots are great though.
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Timc wrote:

half of them are covered by my trousers, and the other half with snow, it really doesn't matter.

exactly - what is the differenc what colour they are once you put them to dry at the end of a skiing day? Unless instead of skiing, you dance on a table at one of Folie Douce places ... then the colour might indeed be important Smile
snow report
Strange that manufacturers put so much thought into colours and graphics.
snow report
@blahblahblah, especially as no buyer ever seems to admit to being swayed by the colour wink
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Especially the hard core. I choose my boots on colour alone, and love them. Must have no ability at all. I don't even know what rocker means.
latest report
Green if you must know.
snow report
And as far i am concerned 'flex' is whether i can reach down to do the damn things up.
snow conditions
@ansta1, tskk, try sitting down. Dont want all that blood in your head. Flex seems a new found marketing device, are you any good? try 100, ski god, 130 or for the expert 150.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
Strange that manufacturers put so much thought into colours and graphics.

for the 90% who buy boots online, colour is the first thing they see!

that said, I'm not sure manufacturers put that much thought into colours after all. they seem never able to make up their mind and kept changing the colour scheme every year Toofy Grin
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
@ansta1, tskk, try sitting down. Dont want all that blood in your head. Flex seems a new found marketing device, are you any good? try 100, ski god, 130 or for the expert 150.

130 if You don't mind but my ego always did write cheques my body couldn't cash.
snow report
My bootfitter is 2000 miles away, would never go elsewhere (for 20 yrs now). Also when walking around to get the feel of a pair of boots or when they are in back doing cutting or stretching you can go next door to the bar Smile
ski holidays
@ansta1, Not an expert yet? I am on my 4th week and looking at the new Fischer 250 Flex ( Pearlescent Silver) as I probably am 13/14 on the ski scale. See http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html to see your level.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy