Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to wear a transceiver?

Poster: A snowHead
jedster wrote:
So it's just a fashion statement?

Ask them not me, but I'd say it's an alternative to wearing a scarf or face mask or whatever you wear there.
The point is that it's not going to protect your dental work: it's not structural, as I said. It's not a "full face helmet", it's a helmet with a bit in the front to keep the wind off your mustache.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm yet another who has broken ribs when falling on a tranceiver. In addition to those on this thread, I know of another skier who has done the same. For a piece of safety equipment, they do seem to cause a lot of injuries!

Come on manufacturers, show us what you can do...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 22-10-15 23:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JamesN wrote:
I love how this site changed a word rhyming with farce to back bottom.

farce about face
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Ask them not me, but I'd say it's an alternative to wearing a scarf or face mask or whatever you wear there.

The point is that it's not going to protect your dental work: it's not structural, as I said. It's not a "full face helmet", it's a helmet with a bit in the front to keep the wind off your mustache.

Very Happy
Personally I almost never do. All my harsher weather jackets zip up to my nose if I need the protection. Do occasionally wear a buff if it really arctic. I reckon 19 days out of 20 that face guard thing would be a PITA. But hey it looks rad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In BC I usually use a neck gaiter thing, exposed skin is mostly not a good idea.

I've heard mixed reviews of the Ruroc; I feel cloth may work best for that specific job. It is a UK company I think. If they want to give me one I'll happily review it for them wink

--
Falling on transceivers... I guess I don't ride off piste on hard pack so that's not really an issue for me wink
I'd be unhappy if someone didn't have their transceiver where I expect it to be. I can't think of anywhere which would be much safer whilst still being useful.

I've dealt with people breaking their ribs in collision with trees, but never come across anyone who managed to do that with a transceiver. It's perhaps not a huge risk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My bro broke his ribs on his transceiver in an otherwise innocuous fall. But then typical Euro offpiste is not fluffy cushioning pow everyday.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Harness:
Easy for a rescuer to find and turn off.
Can break your ribs in a fall (I too know someone who has done this).

In Pants Pocket:
Safer if it is hot and you are skinning in a base layer.
Needs an attachment point to fix the lanyard too.
To prevent loss, pocket should be an internal pocket reached by an external zip.

In Jacket pocket:
I read of an avalanche where the skier's jacket was torn off

The pants pocket option seems increasing popular with Guides.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ribs fix though, don't they?

I shall continue to use the harness, but I am going to start putting my phone in my backpack. However, it is the very latest iPhone and I've just downloaded FatMap so I imagine the battery will be dead within an hour.

I wear one of those Buff things for work, if I'm standing still. But for skiing, they are way too hot, they get soaked from your breath, then you can't breathe through them or they freeze and stick to your skin. I pull my coat over my nose when I'm on a lift, which usually thaws everything out enough.

I do like to pose with my harness on when I finish for the day. Accidently leave it on for a while ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@henzerani,
You want to get out to Chamonix. It isn't even considered especially posy to keep your climbing harness on (complete with 1 dangling ice screw) through 2 or 3 apres bars and a burger at Poco Loco.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm surprised how many people are keeping their phones in chest pockets and backpacks.

I keep mine in the same trouser pockets as when I'm wearing jeans in town, on the other side to my transceiver. Seems the simplest option?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, so do I, but that's awfully close to 30cm from transceiver, which is suppose to be shortest distance recommended. Actually with mine Ortovox 3+ it looks like this distance should be min. 50cm, which makes me wonder where my phone should be... on end of 1.5m long selfie stick? Smile I know I don't really need phone with me, but I would say having phone in case something happens and you need to call for help, is not such big disadvantage, or?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

know I don't really need phone with me, but I would say having phone in case something happens and you need to call for help, is not such big disadvantage

switch it off until you need it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually... if I understood right those things on links above, main problem is when you are in search mode, for transmitting it just shouldn't cover your transceiver. Right?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@primoz, you are correct, the most interference is caused in search mode. Holding the transceiver at arms length should provide 50-60cm of separation. Anyone trying to make an emergency call should not be between the searchers and potential burials.

In transmit mode an active mobile close to your transceiver will reduce the accuracy of the fine search, for those searching for you.
ski holidays
@primoz, phones can really interfere with transceivers. There is a lot of info around, personally I have found that phones can transmit a signal that will be picked up by a transceiver. This can significantly interfere with a search.
On balance I think phones have saved way more lives than transceivers but you need both and the phone should be in your sac switched off. I have never had to search for a buried skier but even in the lower stress practice search scenario it is difficult to get everyone to stop transmitting from their transceiver.
snow conditions
Here's a guide's take on this - it's always best worn on your torso - preferably (for most models) slightly to the side to minimise restriction whilst moving.
Hearing about the "guides" wearing it in their trouser's pocket....well let me say two things about this:

1) they're lazy
2) reason why? well a beacon placed in a pocket on your leg (most likely thigh) is a much smaller target to hit for the people searching for you...now if they're guides and counting on their guests to 1) locate them 2) make an accurate stab with a probe 3) they've had too many genepis at the local watering hole. End of.
snow conditions
@HammondR, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

now if they're guides and counting on their guests to 1) locate them 2) make an accurate stab with a probe 3) they've had too many genepis at the local watering hole. End of.

Very Happy Very Happy

@chamo74, or they are so sceptical about their clients ability to find them under the best of circumstances that they don't think its worth worrying about?
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
@clarky999, so do I, but that's awfully close to 30cm from transceiver, which is suppose to be shortest distance recommended. Actually with mine Ortovox 3+ it looks like this distance should be min. 50cm, which makes me wonder where my phone should be... on end of 1.5m long selfie stick? Smile I know I don't really need phone with me, but I would say having phone in case something happens and you need to call for help, is not such big disadvantage, or?

Yeah, you're right - phone in pocket on right thigh, transceiver on left side of chest about halfway between hip and armpit. Probably 30-40cms. Something I should think more about, really!

I think having a phone is pretty essential tbh - probably (hopefully?) way more likely that someone will break a leg etc and need heli evac than one of your group gets caught in an avalanche. Plus just simply co-ordinating with other friends who happen to be on the mountain etc. Keeping it turns doff on my pack isn't really practical for me. Maybe the cargo pockets down closer to my knees would be a safer option though.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2778235#2778235
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy