Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too Early for 3 days Away?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Im fairly new to skiing (2 weeks on snow) ,is it too early/am I experienced enough to take a 3 day break. I have some holiday left over from the summer and thought I could sneak in a few days before Christmas. Im going to MYAsHbash so will be skiing this season.

I do have a few questions though.
Where is the best place to go for a beginner. Are there some places to avoid.
Is it best to wait till the snow is there, or book in advance and risk it.

Ive found these people are there any others I should be considering?
http://mountainsunltd.com/
https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/winter/skiing

I'd be looking at flying out of Gatwick.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd recommend Mountainsun for short breaks
Good value and Tignes is about the best bet in France for early season snow. Lots of excellent tuition available - the best way to make the most of it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I second @pam w, on all counts- especially the tuition. The slopes before Xmas week tend to be much quieter so you could get some good experience under your belt before you hit the Bash!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's always the PSB2015 (if there's a 1/2 week option). That way you could keep your record of only every skiing on bashes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with @pam w and @Nadenoodlee. Only downside of Tignes is a long transfer which is hard work for just a weekend.

The classic weekend ski break is Chamonix (short easy transfers), but that isn't good for a relatively new skier (and definitely not this early in the season). I was nearly put off skiing for good by a weekend in Cham when I had only a week's skiing experience. I'm still nervous about going back there! Tho I may resolve that this year at some point Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountainsun do cheap or free transfers from Geneva. Pretty painless really.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anyone know what the Dolomites are like for a newbie?

was thinking of this
http://mountainsunltd.com/specialoffers/december-deal-dolomites/

It says from Innsbruck its only 1.5 hours
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pigeondave, Tignes isn't a bad bet, although snow lower down the valley where the MountainSun chalet is may not be plentiful that early in the season. Val Thorens is another "safe" French alternative (as I'm sure you know). Alternatively you could try one of a number of Austrian resorts, if you'd like something more Austrian. Or Cervinia, if you'd like an early pizza fix....

Not too early to take three days, but better still extend it to a week. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pigeondave, Dolomites are lovely for a newbie (or indeed anyone), but a base in St Martin isn't ideal as there's only a steep black run down and the linked Kronplatz area isn't a classic early-season resort; it's rather low.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pigeondave, if you can find a flight to Innsbruck for a good price, maybe just stay there... You can be skiing in your choice of 3 resorts within 15/20 min bus ride from the city, and plenty more within 45 minute bus ride - all on the lift pass, including Stubai Glacier (already open) for guaranteed snow. 1 hour on the train and you have - literally - hundreds of resorts to choose from.

As it's a city, you'll have absolutely no issues finding accommodation for three days, and the Christmas market is on then, and full of tasty treats.

If you don't want to stay in the city, then somewhere like Axamer Lizum or Schlick2000, just outside Innsbruck, would also be good choices with VERY short transfers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.powder.com/stories/first-chair-blog/killington-first-to-open-in-north-america/#3di8uj0oxtDBiHwa.97
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Custard the Rabbit is right that there might not be snow down at the Mountainsun chalet in Tignes but, early season. Tignes often has more skiing than many of the alternatives and snow outside the door isn't essential. They will take you up in a minibus if necessary and you'll sleep better at a lower altitude.

I'll be there at the end of the month when there will almost certainly be no snow at the chalet. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pigeondave wrote:

Is it best to wait till the snow is there, or book in advance and risk it.

Most years there is good snow in December in the higher resorts. Last year there wasn't until shortly before Xmas. I don't see all that much advantage in booking early, it's quiet season anyway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cervinia is good place for a beginner and should have plenty of snow in December. Lots of wide open slopes which are great for building confidence.
Get a flight to Turin or Milan and hire a car.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in the alps at the weekend and the couple who own the hotel where I stayed in Bourg, have a group this week skiing Tignes.
I wasnt skiing but had a 18.25 flight from Manchester to Geneva and was in the hotel about 11.30 local time via hire car and all motorways down.
That would give a full days skiing on the saturday
The flight back was about 21.25 giving a full days skiing
Not a bad weekend for no time off work and max skiing in October !
snow report
I duno if this would suit a beginner, but UCPA having abit of a season opening bash in VT 26th Nov on a 3 day trip (with no lessons though). 11 English speaking booked into it so far through Action Outdoors. Giving it serious consideration here, return flights from Dublin less than 100e, I could do it for very little over 400euro all in.
snow report
@Tim818, Action Outdoors are on the list and I did the EoSB last year in VT so I know that there are runs that I can do there.
snow report
Just back from Tignes with Mountain Sun.....had the most glorious time with blue skies and great glacier snow...get out there and enjoy!!!
latest report
Many solo skiiers go with the mountain sun?
latest report
@pigeondave, sorry but have to disagree with others with regards to Tignes and Mountain Sun prior to Christmas. There is very little terrain for an early stage beginner in Tignes early season and ski schools will not have much in terms of beginner lessons.

for strong intermediates and beyond it is a great choice, we run a 4 day clinic ourselves in partnership with Mountain Sun in Nov but not sure Tignes would be right for you.
snow conditions
@skimottaret, thanks, the title of too early was more based on my time on snow/skis.Not so much the time date.

I don't really want to negotiate a red or black first thing in the morning to get to the slopes.
ski holidays
Quote:
Only downside of Tignes is a long transfer which is hard work for just a weekend...

We once went to Tignes for one night/two days - after driving the 250 miles to Heathrow from home first Laughing. Had a great time.
snow conditions
Quote:
Only downside of Tignes is a long transfer which is hard work for just a weekend...

But as @mountainaddict, implies, it's a doddle if you leave within an hour (or two) of an airport. A 2.5 hour drive to the skiing from Geneva isn't too bad really, particularly if you have little driving to/from your UK airport.

We've done a lot of one night (Saturday) trips to the Alps from Stansted and Luton, which have included a 480 mile round trip from Durham. A 6.30/7am Saturday flight out and late flight back on Sunday gave us 1.5 days on the slopes, with no time off work - though getting home at 2 am Monday wasn't too much fun.... It was well worth it though!

Similar trips from Manchester/Edinburgh have been much easier however - with half the distance from home to UK airport.

Overall, though, it depends how keen you are and how much you enjoy/dislike driving abroad.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy