Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Low Din Value pin touring binding : ST Radical 2.0, G3 ion, Vipec?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a tech binding for a 50-55kg intermediate female skier who I might or might not be related to with an ACL reconstruction history and therefore would prefer to err on the side of easier "slow" release rather than be totalled.

A very small foot and therefore BSL means that for a touring boot, only a pin binding is going to work (already discussed and debated with the best so not going to change unless your name is Dr Frankenstein).

My question is, which of Dynafit Radical ST 2.0 vs G3 ion vs Fritchi Vipec?

I was thinking Vipec but then I realised that no one has really reviewed the Dynafit Radical ST 2.0 with the rotating toe off the Beast 14 yet - the Beast 14 which I think is really good.

Any thoughts - really related too consistent release etc?

Thanks again!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a cup of tea and have a read of this:
https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-binding-release-testing-acl-broken-leg/

Lots to digest - especially in the comments - but well worth the effort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mishmash, can't add anything between those mentioned, but if she needs it to be bomb proof she might want to think about the beast and put up with the extra weight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ve started reading (and thank you, even though I know Wild Snow and follow it, I haven't seen the blog post before.)
On initial reading, I should say I should point out that the BSL of the new boots in these bindings will be 248 ml; I do think that to a degree I can 't extrapolate "big Number" studies in the same way. Will read on!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob wrote:
@mishmash, can't add anything between those mentioned, but if she needs it to be bomb proof she might want to think about the beast and put up with the extra weight.

DIN on Beast way too high for a 55kg 156 cm female in a 248 BSL is the prob! Who wants to tour like a decent hill walk rather than "shred it" {sadly - but at least we are on the same hill!, and she is touring !}
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The beast 14 goes down to a 5 my radicals will go down to a 4 (there are two adjustments on each heel piece). With such small boots she may well come up as a 4 or 5. A radical solution if she is really worried might be snow shoes! I have only ever come out of my dynafits on the way up when I have forgotten to lock the toe down. I have a friend, also a light, small footed girl, who broke her fibia in a slow twisting fall in first gen dynafits. You are wise to be cautious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
The beast 14 goes down to a 5 my radicals will go down to a 4 (there are two adjustments on each heel piece). With such small boots she may well come up as a 4 or 5. A radical solution if she is really worried might be snow shoes! I have only ever come out of my dynafits on the way up when I have forgotten to lock the toe down. I have a friend, also a light, small footed girl, who broke her fibia in a slow twisting fall in first gen dynafits. You are wise to be cautious.

My biggest concern is very much the down and slow intermediate skiing in mixed conditions - in many ways the opposite of "you can't afford to come out of your ski" - more mellow terrain back of resort touring.

All my reading had pointed at the Viper having most lateral front toe/ combined release and then I thought the reason I was nt seeing any stuff re Radical 2.0 was because it wasn't really being used yet ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The rad 2 has fully din rated release values, a big plus.
Have a look at the Marker f10. It goes down to 3 and can be swapped between tech/AT and Alpine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marker Ft too big even in small for that 248 bsl - it starts at 260, sort of hence the problem ..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mishmash wrote:
....All my reading had pointed at the Viper having most lateral front toe/ combined release....

Incorrect. Give me a call & I'll talk you through it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I read it, to mitigate tibia fractures you want toe release and against ACL injuries you want heel release. See 4th graph down.

For mishes-mash and her weak knees I'd suggest you want to be looking at a Dynafit-style heel release.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reading that, I don't quite understand why you wouldn't expect different values moving the pressure point along the ski? being different levers, etc.?

Also, I can't imagine my situation where my skis were forced off by something acting 10cm front or back of my bindings.

Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mishmash, honestly I haven't found any problems with Dynafits releasing properly (it's more an issue of skis coming off too easily when charging, but unless you're huge or hucking that's not normally a problem for most people). The only downside that I've found is their Be Nice please! horrible ride on hard chattery snow. SO I'd just go with the cheapo Speed Turn.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, While you are there - whats your experience of the Lotus 120's that I think you bought last season.

I really like the Beast 14 toe on hard , less chattery snow by the way!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok thanks for all your help and advice - Decided on Dynafit Radical ST 2.0 in the end.
snow report
@mishmash, I'm selling them Laughing

Come to the conclusion that non-rockered pintails aren't for me - I like a ski that's as happy being thrown sideways and drifting as pointing down the fall line, and my 4FRNT EHPs just do that better IMO.

However, if you want to buy some wink you can have my 184s with Dynafit TLT Speed Classics (same as the Speed Turn, just older) shimmed at the toes to reduce ramp, with B&D brakeaway leashes, BD Mohair skins and crampons for €400 + shipping (I still have a UK bank account, so whatever the £ equivalent is also works).
snow conditions
@clarky999, That is a great deal for someone, but I need to clear some my own stock first !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy