Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing my K2 public enemy's.....fatboy advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Second stint on here due to forgetting my previous username etc, so first post....again! So hello and I'll take anything chucked my way!

Just after a bit of advice on replacing my skis. Last ones were k2 public enemy 181cm.

A bit about myself, male, 6'2", 120 kg, aggressive skier with approximately 35-40 weeks of skiing. Intermediate/advanced level, blues, reds and off piste I regularly blitz, at speed, with no problems, ski blacks regularly but steep blacks offer no fun for me due to edge slide, being heavier and I generally just like cruising. I think my previous skis have somewhat hindered by ability to carve well, which I used to when I was younger.

I ski mainly 80/20 piste, but like nipping into the off-piste, jumps and bumps, shallower powder etc. Twin tips preferable.

Previously skied Salomon cross max carve skis back in the day, great skis, then went onto my favourite k2 Public Enemy's in 181cm. I think I got on with these as they are stiff and heavy, held their own when travelling at speed, very stable underfoot, but they lacked turning ability on very steep slopes and this knocked the confidence on some blacks. After 4 years on these I sold them and fancied the change.

So.....this year I'm looking at a few skis, Atomic Panic and also the Vantage 90 skis, they seem a little firmer yet not to wide at the waist to really hinder the turn.

Any suggestions, alternatives or previous experience of either would be much appreciated......k2 I know offer a generally stiffer ski, my previous skis were 2008 model so I appreciate with better rocker/camber options these days, there maybe that perfect ski out there for me!!!

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate some help......Damo

snowHead Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bonafide or mantra should do nicely - not twins but not sure you'll get a twin that suits your spec as most twins I've skied tend to be a bit too soft for your dimensions.
And I'm not sure you'd find the slightly wider waist would hinder your turn .... Give them a try ! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok I'll have a look at them, thankyou for the reply.

The k2's were great as they were really stiff, very forgiving but just lacking a bit of bite in the turn and hold......it's another day of watching and reading reviews haha Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@damoboy, sorry but the PE's are 100% not stiff skis, and K2 aren't noted for making stiff skis.

The Mantra's mentioned above are quite a bit stiffer than your PE's, and I'd think the Bonafides may be too.

I'd look at Nordica - the Soul Rider sounds like exactly what you're looking for.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you looked at the k2 shredditor. I got a pair at the end of last season with a 92 waist as a ski to do a bit of everything and love them. Did get to try them before buying though which makes a huge difference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't like a stiff ski, lighter build than you but 6'4", ski off piste more than you. I am skiing Dynastar 97 ski's now - review on here. The 87's may suit you better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah right, I thought the general consensus was that k2 are slightly stiffer, I know the flex used to be stronger than bandit b2 and Salomon rocker 2 that I've skied. I found them quite soft and chattery. Guess they were just right for me.

I'll definitely have a look at the soul riders and the dynastars, I really appreciate the pointers. Been looking at Atomic vantage 90's and 95s.....hopefully I'll decide soon then it'll be onto replacing my boots 👍
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999 thanks for the advice mate, Soul riders do look the business fair play, I'm gonna try to get on a pair somewhere, and maybe the vantage...👍👍👍
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having had a good look and visited a few shops I'm being pointed towards the Volkl Kendos, and Blizzard Brahmas, both similar skis and pretty stiff.

Had the Volk Walls chucked in the mix as their twin tip (which I prefer for the bumps and jumps and the odd occasions riding switch etc), anyone got any experience of these?

As I say previously rode k2 Public Enemy which I loved, so tempted to go for these in a 184

So kendo, brahma or walls?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd go with the Kendos
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woud go for K2 Shreditors 102.Hold edge really good yet easy to skid.They just destroy crud,slushy snow .Damn I miss them(sold them last year)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son has Kendos .... few seasons old .... loves them. Latest ones are a bit wider but look good to me.
Still think you could go a bit fatter no problem .... say 100mm and this opens up some real beauties ..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So it's Volkl wall, k2 shredditor, volkl kendo, nordica soulrider and blizzard brahmas...aghhhh🤔

May consider slights fatter than the Walls and Brahma now as piste ability probably won't suffer as much as first thought, that was my reason for going slightly narrower with these two....after a stiffer ski due to my size and aggressiveness but not sure if the shredditor will suffice, some saying stiff yet the reviews seem to suggest they have a lot of flex

Bonafides maybe....just wish they were twins
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@damoboy, I am similar weight and ability to you and watch this thread with interest. I am currently using Rossi Experience 88's which are a few years old now but I really get on well with them. They are a stiff and heavy (to carry) ski but when on I hardly notice them, they work better when worked hard. Not that I would necessarily recommend them over others as I have nothing to compare them too but I enjoyed them when I tested them so bought em'. Eventually they will kick the bucket hence the interest in your query.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
some saying stiff yet the reviews seem to suggest they have a lot of flex

Reality is you can only tell so much from reading about the ski's. You really need to get on them.
snow report
It's hard as I'm in South Wales with nowhere near to try them, unless anyone can suggest one of the snow domes with a wide range of gear to test?

Due to the temptation to go slightly fatter than my old K2 PE's as I'll be going off piste more, it's between the Blizzard Bonafide or Volkl mantra?

Anyone skied both? Want the best on piste carver out of the two.....at the moment it's looking Bonafides
snow report
blizzard brahma is an awesome bit of kit , and fits your brief well , not sure where u can demo , but speak to @spyderjon at the piste office for more in depth advice on these skis
snow report
Thanks @Dabber, I was initially going between the Blizzard Brahma or Volkl Kendo. Then decided to go a little fatter hence the bonafide or mantras......a mate of mine skis the Volkl Wall twin tip and it's quite stiff (similar to my old ones) which would suit but the guys I ski with these days venture off piste more than I had previously so maybe chunk it up a bit.

I'll definitely give him a shout, much appreciated. It's between the 2 Volkl and 2 blizzards...would be nice to be able to afford both haha
ski holidays
damoboy wrote:
Hi guys,

I think my previous skis have somewhat hindered by ability to carve well, which I used to when I was younger....

...I ski mainly 80/20 piste...

...k2 Public Enemy's in 181cm. they lacked turning ability on very steep slopes and this knocked the confidence on some blacks. After 4 years on these I sold them and fancied the change...

...I'd appreciate some help......Damo

snowHead Laughing

Your thoughts seem to be trending towards wide off piste skis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a ski that is most suited to just 20% of your skiing, so long as you're sure that's what you want. Are you sure that you are not being sucked in by marketing hype to buying something that doesn't really fit the criteria that you described in your opening post?

Edit: How about a Dynastar Cham 87?
snow report
Glisshop selling the old Cham range at half price at the minute.

There is a new version 2.0.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy